• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saddam invades Kuwait, the world reacts with force. Putin invades Ukraine the world does not react with force, why not?

Is it possible oil plays into the decision making?
Saddam Hussein didn’t have nukes.

Saddam Hussein’s military was a joke.

Saddam Hussein controlling Kuwaiti oil wasn’t acceptable to Gulf nations or the international market.

Didn't W sell some americans on the lie saddam had weapons of mass destruction so we could invade iraq? Did we ever find any?
W did.

That came years after Hussein invaded Kuwait.

The reason isn't nuclear weapons. Both the US and Russia are willing to risk everything- they have been for decades. It took seven months of Iraqi occupation of Kuwait before direct military intervention happened.

Those seven months were spent building up and getting international support for war.

Quoting Wikipedia:

"The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was an operation conducted by Iraq on 2 August 1990, whereby it invaded the neighboring State of Kuwait, consequently resulting in >>> a seven-month-long Iraqi military occupation of the country." <<<
No.

Nuclear weapons. If Iraq had them, our response would have been sanctions and harshly worded letters. It’s also the reason Pakistan has been the world’s leading proliferator of terrorism and nuclear weapons technology and we give them cash instead of taking action against them.

Eventually, no-one on the UN Security Council vetoed authorization for invasion. It's pretty much impossible to 'legally' use force against five countries in the world no matter what they do... same goes for those they choose to protect.

Please explain; I'm not understanding.

Iraq invaded Kuwait on 8/2/90. Operation Desert Storm began 1/16/91. Five months. @Antiwar can’t count.
Remember all of that so well.

Especially when my late wife, a DoD QA inspector employee, was called in to work to rush approve arms shipments for the government, missiles, from a local arms supplier in Texas.

The same thing happened later with the second Gulf War.

Weapons are much more damaging now than they were back then. Saddam never had nuclear weapons or bombs that can explode half the world away.

You are aware Iraq was a major oil supplier when we put Saddam in charge. It was still a major supplier of oil when we had to fix the mistake.

Remember all of that so well.

Especially when my late wife, a DoD QA inspector employee, was called in to work to rush approve arms shipments for the government, missiles, from a local arms supplier in Texas.

The same thing happened later with the second Gulf War.
Respect to your wife’s service.

I was pushing boots in Great Lakes during the time, but knew a lot of shipmates that served in the Gulf at the time. Total Turkey shoot. Hussein bit off far more than he could chew. I only wish HW had support from other coalition leaders to finish the job by capturing/killing Hussein then.

Didn't W sell some americans on the lie saddam had weapons of mass destruction so we could invade iraq? Did we ever find any?
No he used them on Iran and his own people. We were the ones along with a few other countries that sold him the weapons of mass destruction. We were afraid he was mass producing them. Luckily he wasn't.

Those seven months were spent building up and getting international support for war.

Nearly everyone here seems to want the US to directly intervene militarily, now.

Respect to your wife’s service.

I was pushing boots in Great Lakes during the time, but knew a lot of shipmates that served in the Gulf at the time. Total Turkey shoot. Hussein bit off far more than he could chew. I only wish HW had support from other coalition leaders to finish the job by capturing/killing Hussein then.
Thanks for your service as well!

I have a daughter that is retired Navy.

My sweet wife started out working at SUPSHIP Boston before transferring to Texas to the TI weapons division there which was eventually bought by Raytheon.

As far as HW, yeah, I almost mentioned that as well earlier. President Bush and the world made a mistake by not keeping the coalition together until Saddam was gone then and his bat shit crazy family with him!

Thanks for your service as well!

I have a daughter that is retired Navy.

My sweet wife started out working at SUPSHIP Boston before transferring to Texas to the TI weapons division there which was eventually bought by Raytheon.

As far as HW, yeah, I almost mentioned that as well earlier. President Bush and the world made a mistake by not keeping the coalition together until Saddam was gone then and his bat shit crazy family with him!
Could’ve saved a lot lives.

Saddam did not have a functional nuclear program, despite the lies told by Dubya and Colin Powell. We knew that he didn't but they would not have sold the war to the American people if they had admitted that fact.
Wrong war.

No. It's the threat of WWIII, a nuclear war that could wipe out all of humankind. Russia has enough nukes to do just that. Perhaps we've lived with the threat of nuclear annihilation for so long that we don’t think about it anymore. We filed that away in our subconscious and for quite a lot of folks, locked that door. Most I think have conclude that it will never happen.

Iraq didn’t have nukes, neither did Afghanistan nor any of the other countries we became involved in war against since the old USSR exploded their first atomic bomb shortly after WWII. With Russia, they’re a threat not only to wipe the good old USA off the map but put an end to the world if they so desired.

We’ve been lucky so far, all wars during the cold war was proxy wars. Limited to conventional arms. We would be so lucky if we went to war against Russia. Once the first nuke goes, all the rest will follow. Then my friend, no more worries about climate change or even the price of a gallon of gas.

Back
Top Bottom