• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sad News About a Member

CaptainCourtesy

I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We received word that a long time member, oldreliable67. He started posting here back in the VERY early days of DP and encouraged the registration of one of our other long time members, turtledude, who knew him in RL. Though he didn't post that often, he was both intelligent and civil, and liked discussing economics. From what I understand, he was killed in a bicycle accident.

We received word that a long time member, oldreliable67. He started posting here back in the VERY early days of DP and encouraged the registration of one of our other long time members, turtledude, who knew him in RL. Though he didn't post that often, he was both intelligent and civil, and liked discussing economics. From what I understand, he was killed in a bicycle accident.

I am very sorry to hear this.

Rest in peace.

Well, you never know.
Rest in peace, man. :peace

Heard about this yesterday from TD, very sad.

Wow. Sad day at DP. :(

Has anyone given TD a hug? Where is the curmudgeonly turtle?

Sorry to hear that.

But bicycle accident?! This is rare I believe. What details are known regarding the tragic circumstances of the accident?

But bicycle accident?! This is rare I believe.

I've heard that cycling infrastructure in the U.S. is terrible. I've also heard that some residential areas don't even have sidewalks, just car roads. I don't know if that is true or not.

Sorry to hear that.

But bicycle accident?! This is rare I believe. What details are known regarding the tragic circumstances of the accident?

HE was riding on a two lane road near his home. From what I gather he was descending on a hill and a pickup truck came over the hill at a much higher rate of speed (then the bike-since there were no charges filed initially it does not appear to be due to excessive speed) and smashed into him. He was airlifted to a hospital but died a couple hours later.

Condolences to those who knew him.

Sorry to hear that.

It isn't really that rare at all. It just doesn't get much press coverage. I've known a couple people who were seriously injured by cars while riding bikes. In both cases they ended up being hit and runs. I have also known someone who ran over and killed someone on a bike.

I've heard that cycling infrastructure in the U.S. is terrible. I've also heard that some residential areas don't even have sidewalks, just car roads. I don't know if that is true or not.

That is true, but most cyclist ride in the road even when there is a sidewalk. Not that many places have bike lanes. My city has been creating a bunch of them in parts of town and some off-road paths, but most of the city still does not have them and never will.

really sorry to hear. my condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace. :(

HE was riding on a two lane road near his home. From what I gather he was descending on a hill and a pickup truck came over the hill at a much higher rate of speed (then the bike-since there were no charges filed initially it does not appear to be due to excessive speed) and smashed into him. He was airlifted to a hospital but died a couple hours later.

Sorry to hear about your loss, TD, and may he rest in peace.

O Lord ... so sad to hear.
RIP & condolences all around.

Oh man, that just sucks. He was such a great poster. It's been a while since I argued with him about anything (it was probably re: the Iraq war), but he stood out as one of my favorite people to argue with because he was always honest, thoughtful, and fair. May he rest in peace and his loved ones find comfort in this difficult time. =(

Condolences to family and friends. Good name, Oldreliable. I'm sure he lived up to it.

I remember when he became a member, at one time he was a great and fun poster. We had at least a couple of chats via PM.

He will be missed. He made an impact on our spot in the world. My condolences TD and to all his family and friends.

I didn't know him, but I am sorry for your loss, Turtle. <hug>

I'm relatively new here and didn't have the pleasure of meeting the gentleman in my DP travels but I extend my condolences to you and hope you'll let his family know that many here on DP have them in our thoughts.

I am sorry to hear that turtle.

Sad but there is worse ways to go than being killed on your bicycle at 67 years old. Sounds like he was a good man living a good life.

Thank you for telling us this TD. I read you knew him?

It isn't really that rare at all. It just doesn't get much press coverage. I've known a couple people who were seriously injured by cars while riding bikes. In both cases they ended up being hit and runs. I have also known someone who ran over and killed someone on a bike.

My cousin whom studied in USA was hit by another bike and she dislocated her shoulder due to the event. We were oblivious to the fact that one needs insurance otherwise shall not be treated. We had to take her back here for treatment ASAP!

I'm sorry to hear this and my thoughts are with his family.

Back
Top Bottom