• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

S.D.'s Attorney General Fatally Strikes Man With Car, Says He Thought He Hit A Deer

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
S.D.'s Attorney General Fatally Strikes Man With Car, Says He Thought He Hit A Deer : NPR
The top law enforcement official in South Dakota told officials that he believed he hit a deer on a rural stretch of road on Saturday night. It wasn't until the following day that it became clear Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg had fatally struck a man, and state authorities are investigating.
The attorney general said in the statement that he was driving home at about 9:15 p.m. Saturday from the Spink County Lincoln Day Dinner, a Republican fundraising event, in the small town of Redfield.

"I didn't see what I hit and stopped my vehicle immediately to investigate," Ravnsborg said, according to the paper. He added that he thought it was "a large animal (likely a deer)."
According to the letter posted to the Argus Leader, Ravnsborg used the sheriff's personal vehicle to drive home on Saturday. On Sunday morning, as he was driving to return the vehicle with his chief of staff, Ravnsborg noticed that "the debris field from my accident was still on the road." He said the pair got out of the car and searched for what they thought was a deer, according to the letter.

"As I walked along the shoulder of the road I discovered the body of Mr. Boever in the grass just off the roadway," the letter said. "My chief of staff and I checked and it was apparent that Mr. Boever was deceased."
WTF? I've hit a deer and it was unmistakable. You cannot mistake a human body for a deer.. Something here isn't kosher.

S.D.'s Attorney General Fatally Strikes Man With Car, Says He Thought He Hit A Deer : NPR WTF? I've hit a deer and it was unmistakable. You cannot mistake a human body for a deer.. Something here isn't kosher.

Is Jason Ravnsborg known to drink heavily in his off-hours? Because I am just going to engage in some idle speculation and say that he was probably drunk. I imagine he ran home to pull a Teddy-Kennedy-at-Chappaquiddick to sleep the alcohol out of his system. Perhaps he figured it would be better to do this than face a drunken vehicular homicide charge. Now he faces a felony hit-and-run homicide charge.

Last edited:
Is Jason Ravnsborg known to drink heavily in his off-hours? Because I am just going to engage in some idle speculation and say that he was probably drunk. I imagine he ran home to pull a Teddy-Kennedy-at-Chappaquiddick to sleep the alcohol out of his system. Perhaps he figured it would be better to do this than face a drunken vehicular homicide charge.

Bingo..

Is Jason Ravnsborg known to drink heavily in his off-hours? Because I am just going to engage in some idle speculation and say that he was probably drunk. I imagine he ran home to pull a Teddy-Kennedy-at-Chappaquiddick to sleep the alcohol out of his system. Perhaps he figured it would be better to do this than face a drunken vehicular homicide charge. Now he faces a felony hit-and-run homicide charge.

I think the SD AG is a Republican, they don’t “drink heavily?”

What’s the emoji limit?

I think the SD AG is a Republican, they don’t “drink heavily?”

What’s the emoji limit?

If he is a Northern Baptist or a Methodist, his pastor would doubtlessly be right pissed at him. Though none moreso than poor Mr. Boever's grieving family, I imagine.

I read the story, and he did not drive his car home. He called a deputy and borrowed the deputy's car to return home. So either A, he drove on after the collision or more likely B, the depputy is complicit in the coverup. The body was found just off the shoulder in the grass. No way ANY sherriff's deputy, not only fails to notice or even check his sobriety, nor fails with the lights they have available (especially nowadays with LED everything), to notice the body, if it's ANYWHERE in the immediate area.

There's just about no explanation to this that doesn't involve a complicit deputy that loaned him a car....

How don't you stop?

How don't you think "I must make sure that is not a person"?

But if you don't and you don't, why do you go back the next day?

I call bull.

And Bingo was his name-o

Leaving the scene to "pull a Kennedy" isn't the case. He called the sheriff's office to the scene and they searched the area, unable to find anything.

As far as drinking heavily - unlikely, considering he was at a fundraising event, and it was 9:30pm. Plus, the Sheriff let him drive his car home, rather than having him driven - unlikely if he was intoxicated.

Granted, they could 'all be in it' - but we should wait to hear more before strapping on our tinfoil hats. This will be investigated.

I read the story, and he did not drive his car home. He called a deputy and borrowed the deputy's car to return home. So either A, he drove on after the collision or more likely B, the depputy is complicit in the coverup. The body was found just off the shoulder in the grass. No way ANY sherriff's deputy, not only fails to notice or even check his sobriety, nor fails with the lights they have available (especially nowadays with LED everything), to notice the body, if it's ANYWHERE in the immediate area.

There's just about no explanation to this that doesn't involve a complicit deputy that loaned him a car....

They did say that the car belonged to the sheriff. There had to have been more than one officer there as well - someone would have driven the sheriff home.

How don't you stop?

How don't you think "I must make sure that is not a person"?

But if you don't and you don't, why do you go back the next day?

I call bull.

And Bingo was his name-o

He did stop, and called the police.

It says he returned the next day to search in daylight.

He did stop, and called the police.

It says he returned the next day to search in daylight.

I hit a deer in Colorado early morning before sunrise. The only way that this guy could have thought that he'd hit a deer in the slightest was if he was intoxicated. This Attorney General has the advantage of his position and his relationship with law enforcement to give him cover and shield him from the consequences of what likely occurred.

I hit a deer in Colorado early morning before sunrise. The only way that this guy could have thought that he'd hit a deer in the slightest was if he was intoxicated. This Attorney General has the advantage of his position and his relationship with law enforcement to give him cover and shield him from the consequences of what likely occurred.

I've hit a deer too, late at night, on a country road. I didn't see it until I came over a rise, and only for a split second. After the impact, the headlights were out, airbag in lap, and I was focused on stopping the car without running off the road. If I had been distracted for that split second, I never would have seen it. In the dark, with my little flashlight, I couldn't find the deer either. (A 'country boy' did come along and help later, and found it with his searchlight.)

I say that to highlight while it's unlikely he mistook a man for a deer, I can easily see a distracted person hitting 'something' and having no idea what it was, thinking it was 'probably a deer' if I had seen deer near the road.

I would like to hear more about the investigation, but it comes back to the fact he called the sheriff's office. I think it's unlikely that the sheriff and deputies on the scene would have covered for him AND left a body at the scene.

I hit a deer in Colorado early morning before sunrise. The only way that this guy could have thought that he'd hit a deer in the slightest was if he was intoxicated.
How many people have you hit in order to know there is an obvious difference?

You're really going to go there? He killed a man left the scene and got his story straight. And if he can't tell the difference between people and animals then his license should be revoked.

People tend to drive into deer in the middle of the road. I doubt that the dead man was in the middle of the road.

Someone stated that he must have been sober because it was only 9:30p. If it wasn't a sad story, that would've been funny.

Would the Sheriff's department cover for their AG?

You're really going to go there? He killed a man left the scene and got his story straight. And if he can't tell the difference between people and animals then his license should be revoked.

He didn't 'leave the scene to get his story straight'. His car was wrecked. According to articles on it, he called the police. They completed an accident report and paperwork to have his car towed. They searched the area (by flashlight) and couldn't find what he hit. The sheriff loaned the AG his personal car to drive home. AG, sheriff, deputies, and wrecker left without seeing a body.

The AG came back in the morning to look in the daylight, with his assistant, and looked at the accident site, found the body, and called the police again. He submitted a blood sample and his phones. If he's trying to do a cover-up, he's doing a bad job of it.

People tend to drive into deer in the middle of the road. I doubt that the dead man was in the middle of the road.

Someone stated that he must have been sober because it was only 9:30p. If it wasn't a sad story, that would've been funny.

Would the Sheriff's department cover for their AG?

According to the dead man's family, he wrecked his car earlier in the evening - drove into a hay bale (not sure how that happened) a short distance away. He was walking, in the road, back to his car.

The AG was coming from an event at a fire department. While it's possible he had a beer, I've never seen a politician drink significantly at one of those things. They don't want to be caught saying or doing something stupid.

It's possible a sheriff would cover for an AG, but unlikely. Not for something this serious.

Last edited:
You're saying the difference is obvious because you hit a deer but not a person. That makes no sense.

I bet he was drunk and fled the scene. This is his cover story.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Again, from the story, he didn't flee the scene. He called the police, and arranged a wrecker to tow his car. No one at the scene found the body in the darkness. The sheriff loaned the AG his personal car to drive home. He was returning the car with his assistant the next morning, stopped to try to find what he hit in the daylight, found the body, and called the police again. That's not to say it couldn't be a cover-up, but it would have to involve the local sheriff and a lot of other people.

Again, from the story, he didn't flee the scene. He called the police, and arranged a wrecker to tow his car. No one at the scene found the body in the darkness. The sheriff loaned the AG his personal car to drive home. He was returning the car with his assistant the next morning, stopped to try to find what he hit in the daylight, found the body, and called the police again. That's not to say it couldn't be a cover-up, but it would have to involve the local sheriff and a lot of other people.
I didnt read the story i went by how it sounded in the op. Regardless everyone deserves the benefit of doubt

I didnt read the story i went by how it sounded in the op. Regardless everyone deserves the benefit of doubt

Makes sense. :) Lots of people running with misinformation on this one.

... allegedly sane, cant tell the difference between a man and a deer, doesnt want to find out immediately either way...

That is new.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

Back
Top Bottom