• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

S.D.'s Attorney General Fatally Strikes Man With Car, Says He Thought He Hit A Deer

... allegedly sane, cant tell the difference between a man and a deer, doesnt want to find out immediately either way...

That is new.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about
Not sure I follow your post. Are you saying that Ravnsborg didn't want to find out? He called the police. They searched the scene, but couldn't find what he hit in the dark. He came back the next day to look in daylight, and called the police when he found the body. What else should he have done?

If it's confirmed he did hit someone and didn't stop then he should end up in prison.
I don't care who he is.
It's a hit and run at least and if the person died it's manslaughter.

The last deer I hit was a doe coming back from Reno. Smacked her right in the head! So, I threw her in the back of my truck and took it home. Illegal, but I figured it was a paying off part of my deductible. And yeah. It wasn’t five feet tall.

We will sit here and watch the two tier system of law in this nation play out.

If it's confirmed he did hit someone and didn't stop then he should end up in prison.
I don't care who he is.
It's a hit and run at least and if the person died it's manslaughter.

Again, he stopped, and called the police. Everyone searched the scene, in the dark, and couldn't find what was hit. The police released him. HE returned the next day to search in the daylight, can called the police when he found the body.

There was no hit and run. This was in the OP and stated numerous times in the thread..

Leaving the scene to "pull a Kennedy" isn't the case. He called the sheriff's office to the scene and they searched the area, unable to find anything.

As far as drinking heavily - unlikely, considering he was at a fundraising event, and it was 9:30pm. Plus, the Sheriff let him drive his car home, rather than having him driven - unlikely if he was intoxicated.

Granted, they could 'all be in it' - but we should wait to hear more before strapping on our tinfoil hats. This will be investigated.
fund raising events are notorious for having alcohol at them.

Again, he stopped, and called the police. Everyone searched the scene, in the dark, and couldn't find what was hit. The police released him. HE returned the next day to search in the daylight, can called the police when he found the body.

There was no hit and run. This was in the OP and stated numerous times in the thread..
correction, he called his friend a sheriff, who knew him well enough to loan him his personal car to leave the scene. Do you really think that a sheriff in your town would loan you his personal car? They were friends...it is very possible he covered for him if he had a few too many.

fund raising events are notorious for having alcohol at them.
This was covered up in the thread, but that type, not as much, and politicians don't usually drink heavily at these community talks. Probably unlikely the sheriff would have loaned him a car to drive home if this was an issue.

correction, he called his friend a sheriff, who knew him well enough to loan him his personal car to leave the scene. Do you really think that a sheriff in your town would loan you his personal car? They were friends...it is very possible he covered for him if he had a few too many.

He said 911, but there had to have been more than one officer, because someone drove the sheriff home. Sure, it's possible the sheriff, his deputies, and the wrecker driver, all covered for him, but it's unlikely. Not in today's environment. He also gave a blood sample and turned over his phones.

This is a hard one. I heard of deer hitting a car's passenger door but I doubt if a human would run into a car. Just don't see how you could not see a mature human in front of your car especially upon impact.

Or was he simply speeding at such a high rate that the victim was just a blur. The AG had six speeding tickets in 6 years which I think makes him a chronic speeder.

"Ravnsborg has received six traffic tickets for speeding in South Dakota over the last six years. "

I've run over something not knowing until I had wondering what the hell was that? Rare, but it does happen.

A couple times I have stopped trying to figure how what it was, probably an animal and maybe terribly suffering - finding nothing.

This is a hard one. I heard of deer hitting a car's passenger door but I doubt if a human would run into a car. Just don't see how you could not see a mature human in front of your car especially upon impact.

Or was he simply speeding at such a high rate that the victim was just a blur. The AG had six speeding tickets in 6 years which I think makes him a chronic speeder.

"Ravnsborg has received six traffic tickets for speeding in South Dakota over the last six years. "

I wouldn't be surprised if speeding was a factor. Distracted driving is also a possibility.

However, this was apparently a country road with no lighting, and ditches on the sides. Apparently the person hit wasn't walking in a normal area for pedestrians - he had crashed his car into a haystack earlier (not sure how that happened), called someone, and was walking back on the road to his car. Based on my experience, it's very easy to go fast on that type of road, and be surprised by something on the road coming over a rise or around a bend. You don't expect things to be on the road, and unless it's reflective, you won't see anything but the stripes on the road until your headlights are on it.

In my experience - I once hit a deer on a road like this, coming over a rise, and saw it for a split second. The impact took out my headlights and deployed the airbags - at which point I couldn't see anything, and was still moving. I can see someone looking away for a second in this scenario, to a phone or the radio - and having no idea what he hit. If he had seen deer on the road, he would have assumed deer. You don't expect a person to be walking in the lane of traffic on a road like that in the middle of nowhere (and not move off the road). It's possible.

How don't you stop?

How don't you think "I must make sure that is not a person"?

But if you don't and you don't, why do you go back the next day?

I call bull.

And Bingo was his name-o

While hitting someone and not knowing it is possible, it unlikely if hit hard enough to be fatal and otherwise the story does not add up for the reasons others and you gave. However, like with Kennedy, it may work legally anyway.

Back
Top Bottom