• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

S.C. to Colleges: No Recruiters=No Fed. $$

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Supreme Court has declared that colleges who refuse to allow U.S. Military Recruiters on their campuses will NOT receive Federal Funds!

The S.C. has stated that Federally-funded colleges can no longer discriminate against U.S. Military recruiters simply because they do not agree with the military's "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" policy. The military recruiters must be allowed access to campuses just like any other job-fair recruiters!

....Another blow to the bastion of liberal anti-military brainwashing!

Heh. Good. Maybe some of those kids will come back, after the military, and take up teaching positions.

easyt65 said:
The Supreme Court has declared that colleges who refuse to allow U.S. Military Recruiters on their campuses will NOT receive Federal Funds!

The S.C. has stated that Federally-funded colleges can no longer discriminate against U.S. Military recruiters simply because they do not agree with the military's "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" policy. The military recruiters must be allowed access to campuses just like any other job-fair recruiters!

....Another blow to the bastion of liberal anti-military brainwashing!

Good for the USSC...

this ruling can't be bad because now maybe our colleges will be rid of r-wing extremists as they sign up in droves to go fight for their country against the Iraqi insurgents in Iraq.

Better them then us! :cool:

I personally hope the colleges will refuse to allow the Military recruiters to come on to the campus. that way, the universities will lose their federal funds and be forced to separate the wheat from the chaff - keeping the REAL teachers of knowledge from the Left wing Nut jobs who are escaping reality, hiding in the universities while filling our kids with thieir Liberal BS while running from having to get a real job and actually having to contribute to society on the outside!

I also believe that we should make service in one of the branches of the military compulsary for all young people (18 years old) - that weay the military doesn't have to come on any campus. in turn, every kid gets taucht, discipline, respect, self-respect, develops their social skill, maturity, etc. Even if it is a 2 year tour (where the 1st year would be basic training....), it would do our youth good!

A huge defeat for the left.........

This can only be classified as a huge defeat for our far left liberal friends...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/06/scotus.campus.recruiters.ap/index.html

Supreme Court upholds college military recruiting law

Monday, March 6, 2006; Posted: 12:26 p.m. EST (17:26 GMT)

A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate, regardless of how repugnant the law school considers the recruiter's message.

(AP) -- Colleges which accept federal money must allow military recruiters on campus, despite university objections to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

Justices unanimously rejected a free-speech challenge from law schools and their professors who claimed they should not be forced to associate with military recruiters or promote their campus appearances.

Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the court, said that the campus visits are an effective military recruiting tool.

"A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate, regardless of how repugnant the law school considers the recruiter's message," he wrote. (Watch the impact of the courtroom 'wipeout' -- 2:00)

Law schools had become the latest battleground over the "don't ask, don't tell" policy allowing gay men and women to serve in the military only if they keep their sexual orientation to themselves.

Many universities forbid the participation of recruiters from public agencies and private companies that have discriminatory policies.

The court's decision upholds a law that requires colleges that take federal money to accommodate recruiters.

Roberts, writing his third decision since joining the court last fall, said there are other less drastic options for protesting the policy. "Students and faculty are free to associate to voice their disapproval of the military's message," he wrote.

"Recruiters are, by definition, outsiders who come onto campus for the limited purpose of trying to hire students -- not to become members of the school's expressive association," he wrote.

The federal law, known as the Solomon Amendment after its first congressional sponsor, mandates that universities give the military the same access as other recruiters or forfeit federal money.

College leaders have said they could not afford to lose federal help, some $35 billion a year.

The court heard arguments in the case in December, and justices signaled then that they had little problem with the law.

Roberts filed the only opinion, which was joined by every justice but Samuel Alito. Alito did not participate because he was not on the bench when the case was argued.

"The Solomon Amendment neither limits what law schools may say nor requires them to say anything," Roberts wrote.

in turn, every kid gets taucht, discipline, respect, self-respect, develops their social skill, maturity, etc.
im sorry but i am 19 and i have all these things with the added bonus that i haven't been taught how to kill!

Re: A huge defeat for the left.........

I fail to see the cause for celebration.

A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate

I know this is primarily over the fact that these schools are accepting federal funds but I fear the decision will be used for more then just that in the future.

A wing of goverment having a physical presence regardless of if they are welcome does not violate a right to associate?

Ya, that won't get abused down the road somewhere. :roll:

Navy Pride said:
This can only be classified as a huge defeat for our far left liberal friends...

Personally, I'm glad the USSC unanimously ruled that way, that way we might be rid of the dittoheads and extremists from our college campus as they rush in droves into the arms of the military recuiters who will sign up the 'patriots' for the war in Iraq.

Go dittoheads! :cool:

Willoughby said:
im sorry but i am 19 and i have all these things with the added bonus that i haven't been taught how to kill!

I am sure you believe you have respect, know the meaning of honor and integrity, and are motivated to do something with your life - if you truly ARE, you are one of an extremely very FEW number. I believe, however, that there is more that you could learn that would help you. I believe everyone can benefit from the military. Through the military, people come into contact with many of life's realities they are otherwise oblivious to.

Case in point - when I returned back home after my second tour, almost 8 years after leaving home, I returned to find i was amazed how no one had changed....and how 'secluded' they were to almost everything outside of that little area/environment. I couldn't believe how backwards/ancient/NON-modern/sheltered they were. The experiences, seeing some of the world, being opened up to different people, ideas, and the world was truly eye-opening!

I also find that your last comment, about not having to be taught how to kill, shows a little ignorance, for a lack of a better word and not meant as an attack/insult. Many kids who go to college get their 1st glimpse and opinions of the world through the eyes and teachings of college professors. You have to be carefull whose eyes you look through - everyone has their own agenda and perception. It is always better to see things for yourself, make up your own mind. many of these professors are liberal nuts who hate the military, hate this country, and teach that America is so bad.

The truth is that there are bad people out there who want power at any cost, willing to enslave people, rape them, torture them, and kill them! They do not believe in live-and-let-live tolerance like many of the Liberals teach. Hitler did not have any such tolerance. Muslim extrmists have no such tolerance, believeing that either people convert to Islam or be KILLED!

The freedoms that we enjoy have been bought and paid for by the sweat, blood, and lives of millions of Americans throughout history who have sacrificed to make this country what it is today. the people - the professors who would tell you differently decry the evils of this country, of the military, and of our belief in democracy.

Probably the best Democratic party President in History, John F. Kennedy once said that the United states would stand beside any friend, any ally, and would make ANY Sacrifice in the name of freedom and Democracy! He knew democracy - freedom - was worth fighting for and does not come free, that it does take fighting for! Maybe the U.S. military is not for you, but many kids get these radical ideas pumped into their heads by these liberal professors who hate the military, hate this country, and hate everything this country stands for without ever seeing the truth for themselves.

easyt65 said:

Nope. They said the the government can refuse federal funds to schools that do so if it wants to. The SCOTUS doesn't make the decission whether to do it our not.

Not quite, the colleges can still do so if they want to, but the government can refuse them federal funds and the colleges can't sue.

A subtle but telling distinction

KidRocks said:
Good for the USSC...

this ruling can't be bad because now maybe our colleges will be rid of r-wing extremists as they sign up in droves to go fight for their country against the Iraqi insurgents in Iraq.

Better them then us! :cool:

I'll tell my too sons who serve in the Marine Corp in order to protect you how you feel about it. And when you lie down tonight perhaps you should think about those who volunteer to serve so that you don't have to be afraid at night.

My oldest is a Gunny my youngest a PFC, those who haven't served or been around the military haven't got a clue. But they go to bed each night not having to worry about their freedom, their security, their future because of the brave committed people who DO choose to be somebody, choose to better themselves and place themselves at risk on our behalf, yet they think they are equal in stature. They haven't a clue.

Stinger said:
My oldest is a Gunny my youngest a PFC, those who haven't served or been around the military haven't got a clue. But they go to bed each night not having to worry about their freedom, their security, their future because of the brave committed people who DO choose to be somebody, choose to better themselves and place themselves at risk on our behalf, yet they think they are equal in stature. They haven't a clue.

Maybe requiring everyone to do a 1-2 year stint may help EVERYONE who either doesn't think about them or those use them as an instruments of political attacks to have a little more respect for those who do serve.

Stinger said:

High praise to you and your sons.

Most people who have not served can not relate. I've actually had people
tell me they don't understand how people can go into the military and simply
take orders. They honestly believe if some General or Admiral tells you to
blow away a civilian you would do it without question. They don't understand
the structure, few understand the US military is one of civilian rule, even
less understand the rank/command structures in place to keep any such
orders from being given. They do believe in rogue officers being able to
get their hands on nukes and selling them on the black market.

For those that espouse compulsory military service, I wholeheartedly
disagree. Our "all volunteer" service is the best on the planet. We get,
for the most part, highly motivated individuals honed into cogs of a
highly integrated team. Compulsory service brings in true malcontents,
polluting the motivation gene pool.

As for this thread, it's about time colleges are held accountable for the
federal funding they simply can't do without.

Question: If the federal government (read: tax dollars) is sending so many
funds to these fine institutions [sic] of higher learning, why do we have to
take out loans to enroll?

The freedoms that we enjoy have been bought and paid for by the sweat, blood, and lives of millions of Americans throughout history who have sacrificed to make this country what it is today.

so what went wrong?

Willoughby said:

:bravo: :good_job: :ind: :applaud

They honestly believe if some General or Admiral tells you to
blow away a civilian you would do it without question.

Just speaking for myself, of course, but when I was in, I would have just about blown up anybody, anything, anywhere, if given the order.

I was pretty gung-ho. Civillians, in my eyes, we're "unsat" to begin with. I cannot confirm, or deny, that I have sent an Iranian trawler to visit Davy Jone's locker, on more than one occassion.;)

It took me quite a while to adjust back into civillian life.

But that's just me.

Captain America
USN
FC1

Thats a headline worthy of the yahoo news message boards Navy.

Anyway, I don't understand how this is a huge defeat.

If your school wants Federal money then you need to help the federal government out. The schools shouldn't assume they can just receive money and do nothing in return. It's give give, not take.

I got no problem with recruiters on a college campus. If the students aren't mature enough to deal with a recruiter they shouldn't be in college yet. No one is holding an M-16 to their head to make them listen. Other people are allowed to recruit on campus. Why not the military? We need our best and brightest in the armed forces.

But any thinking person has to be concerned with the "don't tell nobody you're gay and you won't get beat up" approach. But still, I think there are more important issues out there that deserve our attention.

Besides, the military is a very good way to go for a young person in need of focus, dicipline and awesome job training.

But, I do have an issue with them speaking to minors in high school without parental consent. But I don't know of any situations like that.

I highly recommend the military to any young person open minded enough to consider it. I would do it all over again if I could.

Supreme Court Rules Against Liberals Who Run America's Colleges

The Supreme Court ruled today that if universities accept federal dollars, they must allow Army recruiters on campus.

Why is this fight even happening if college campuses are not the hotbeds of liberal, anti-U.S. sentiment conservatives always claim they are?

Re: Supreme Court Rules Against Liberals Who Run America's Colleges

aquapub said:
The Supreme Court ruled today that if universities accept federal dollars, they must allow Army recruiters on campus.

Why is this fight even happening if college campuses are not the hotbeds of liberal, anti-U.S. sentiment conservatives always claim they are?

Just trying to keep the war-mongers out of our schools that's all.

aquapub said:

I take it you're unaware that there is already a thread addressing this issue. How's your reading capability, aquapub?
:lol:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?t=8811

err aps beat me to the link.

I am assuming the other post was to much of an actual debate and not enough liberal bashing for aquapub.

Gibberish said:
err aps beat me to the link.

I am assuming the other post was to much of an actual debate and not enough liberal bashing for aquapub.

Gibberish, you guessed right, my friend. :2wave:

zymurgy said:
I fail to see the cause for celebration.

A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate

I know this is primarily over the fact that these schools are accepting federal funds but I fear the decision will be used for more then just that in the future.

A wing of goverment having a physical presence regardless of if they are welcome does not violate a right to associate?

Ya, that won't get abused down the road somewhere. :roll:

Let me explain the cause for celbration to you.......The left was trying to discriminate against military recruiters through colleges and universities to ban them from recruiiting on campus because of far left liberal postions such as the "Don't ask Don't tell" policy..........The SCOTUS said that is unconsitutional by a unanimous 8-0 verdict..........They overruled the discrimination.........

Take time to read the article I posted.............It spells it out for you......

Back
Top Bottom