• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

S.C. Rep. Bob Inglis ousted for not hating Obama Enough

Republican Party starts to kill its own: S.C. Rep. Bob Inglis ousted for not hating Obama enough

This guy is the kind of Republican I remember growing up in South Carolina, one that was honest and didn't take **** from his own party.

Then he went stupid and pissed on his constituents and got the boot. We've all ready had this discussion and I showed this isn't so much the "Tea Party" as it was this guy lost touch with the Voters and got creamed. I suppose it's nice spin though, a crazy train of thought that impresses some, but a little digging shows Inglis killed his own chances.

please
inglis lost by 42 points
42 points
an incumbent
clearly, inglis had lost touch with his constituents
this is a perfect example to prove that we actually have term limits ... every time an election is held, where the incumbent fails to represent the people who elected him

Had nothing to do with him being more open and honest and unwilling to bash Obama no, not at all. It also had nothing to do with the governor candidate of South Carolina also being aligned with the tea parties or the fact that the other guys main attack on the man was he wasn't "conservative enough".

It sounds like he didn't fit in anymore. Maybe he could run as a Democrat.

Even though the guy has an over 90% lifetime conservative rating and doesn't agree with most of what Obama says? Do you seriously think he should run as Democrat?

Even though the guy has an over 90% lifetime conservative rating and doesn't agree with most of what Obama says? Do you seriously think he should run as Democrat?

I believe we need real conservatives to turn the country around. Apparently this guy is not Conservative enough. I admit he would probably be a blue dog Dem so probably wouldn't have much of a chance. The Dems don't seem to like them much. Maybe he should just look for another line of work.

I believe we need real conservatives to turn the country around. Apparently this guy is not Conservative enough. I admit he would probably be a blue dog Dem so probably wouldn't have much of a chance. The Dems don't seem to like them much. Maybe he should just look for another line of work.

Lol are you for real? Just read up on the guy.

It had less to do with his "Conservative Creds" as it did with he insulted his voter base, voted with the Dem's on a few issues his peeps didn't want him too and he got tossed for it.

Lol are you for real? Just read up on the guy.

You should. Click the link I provided, and see why (cause in that thread is all the info you need), you are wrong about Inglis.

I have read up on the guy. Because the guy has morals about himself that doesn't make him a good Republican? This guy served as a representative for over a decade. He was attacked specifically for not being conservative enough for not voting on a troop surge, and was attacked by the Tea Party neo-cons for supporting Bush's bailouts, in a county that has several banks that benefited from the bailout including Wachovia, Carolina Financial, and local banks that he helped appropriate funds for through the bailout such as Palmetto. I mean what do they want these guys to do now, sign a contract with blood?

This has nothing to do with his "not hating Obama enough," and everything to do with the fact that voters are sick and tired of encumbants. I hope Congress is watching closely and quaking in their boots.

Yeah I suspect it has something to do with incumbents as well.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/78500-confessions-tea-party-casualty.html

See, Mr. Inglis did a few things to piss people off in his district, enough so he had 4 primary challengers, and lost 42% I think it was, against him? Yeah.

It wasn't a 2-10 point loss, it was a LANDSLIDE BITCHSLAPIN

Why did Rep. Bob Inglis lose by 42 points?
On paper, the massive, 42-point defeat of Rep. Bob Inglis (R-S.C.) is tough to explain. Sure, he voted for TARP, and all Republicans who did so are experiencing some blowback in their primaries -- but how does an incumbent lose by such a swollen margin without some sort of horrible scandal? According to the Greenville News, he blamed it on his lack of partisan anger.

Inglis said he wasn't surprised by the outcome because of his controversial congressional votes to reprimand U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina for his “you lie!” outburst at President Obama and to oppose former President Bush's 2007 troop surge in Iraq.
He split with some conventional Republican beliefs and “the result was I haven't been a very good match with the partisans,” Inglis said.
Using an analogy to U.S. troops serving overseas, Inglis said, “If you’re in the Congress and not willing to fall on a political hill, then it’s not worth being in Congress.”
Actually, the last time most national observers heard of Inglis, he was chastising attendees of a town hall meeting for watching Glenn Beck.

They suggest that you watch Glenn Beck. Here’s my suggestion. Turn that television off when he comes on. Let me tell you why. You want to know why? He’s trading on fear. You know what? Here’s what I think. If you trade on fear, what you’re doing is, you’re not leading. You’re just following fearful people. So if you want to lead, stop being fearful.

Inglis's explanation for his defeat is self-serving, but he's also right -- Republican voters have no interest in rewarding bipartisanship that involves shaming other conservatives

Right Now - Why did Rep. Bob Inglis lose by 42 points?

GOP watch: Inglis blames Palin and Beck
"Too many Republican leaders are acquiescing to a poisonous 'demagoguery' that threatens the party's long-term credibility, says a veteran GOP House member who was defeated in South Carolina's primary last month. While not naming names, 12-year incumbent Rep. Bob Inglis suggested in interviews with The Associated Press that tea party favorites such as former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin and right-wing talk show hosts like Glenn Beck are the culprits.
"He cited a claim made famous by Palin that the Democratic health care bill would create 'death panels' to decide whether elderly or sick people should get care. 'There were no death panels in the bill ... and to encourage that kind of fear is just the lowest form of political leadership. It's not leadership. It's demagoguery,' said Inglis, one of three Republican incumbents who have lost their seats in Congress to primary and state party convention challengers this year. Inglis said voters eventually will discover that you're 'preying on their fears' and turn away."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...palin-and-beck

Sounds to me more like he was preaching to his people and they got tired of listening to him. The political winds were blowing one way and he was trying to go another. His fall, is of his OWN making.

Isn't it great to do a little research? I think it is.

I think you aren't understanding anything I'm saying. I am saying that it shows how sad the Republican party is, when people like Palin and the governor candidate for SC can paint this guy in such a bad way his consistuents don't like him anymore.

I think you aren't understanding anything I'm saying. I am saying that it shows how sad the Republican party is, when people like Palin and the governor candidate for SC can paint this guy in such a bad way his consistuents don't like him anymore.

Yes, cause Palin has that sort of POWER to brain wash citizens... watch out, she might RUN FOR PRESIDENT!!!

(or the guy made an ass of himself and the people said "adios") Your theory is liberal fantasy crap about the Tea Party, mine is looking at his actions and what happened. Otherwise known as reality.

I don't know of anyone who hates Obama...I think he is the worse president in history and destroying this country by his inexperience but hate, no way............

I don't know of anyone who hates Obama...I think he is the worse president in history and destroying this country by his inexperience but hate, no way............
:roll:

Anyways to my point before directed at Mr.V I understand what you are saying. What I am saying however is this is the kind of volatile political culture we live in. This guy went for 12 years as a representative with no complaints. This tea party stuff starts up, and he has become a liberal apparently.

:roll:

Anyways to my point before directed at Mr.V I understand what you are saying. What I am saying however is this is the kind of volatile political culture we live in. This guy went for 12 years as a representative with no complaints. This tea party stuff starts up, and he has become a liberal apparently.

What? No it's not the TEA PARTY. That's BS wrapped in donkey poop and covered in horse ****. The Conservative Base is more fired up, more attentive and not in the mood to be told what to watch with the implication that the watcher is an idiot. Lesson One of dealing with people, don't call them stupid and expect them to love you.

He Voted for things his CONSTITUENT WERE AGAINST.

The only effect the Tea Party has in all this, is that Conservative Voters as a whole, are paying attention WAAAY earlier in the voting cycle then they normally do.

Mr. Olin doesn't seem to know much about the SC voters viewpoint about Inglis.

I am a SC voter.

Inglis has been a disappointment in several ways or quite some time. I explained the whys and werefores in the thread "a casualty of the Tea Party". He hasn't been properly representing his constituents since before Palin was ever news, and beore there was a Tea Party... the disenchantment came to a head this year.

Why the concern for the Rep. party? You should be jumping up and down with joy if you think they are making a big mistake. You like the guy so much, invite him to your party. I think we're better off without him.

Why the concern for the Rep. party? You should be jumping up and down with joy if you think they are making a big mistake. You like the guy so much, invite him to your party. I think we're better off without him.

That's a very hateful attitude to have about a guy that is conservative by several definitions including having an over 90% conservative score.

That's a very hateful attitude to have about a guy that is conservative by several definitions including having an over 90% conservative score.

Ahh, so now that you've been shown the issue is that he lost touch with his base, you're back to this silly "he's a conservative by several definitions including having over a 90% conservative score" tack.

And in the last 2 years he managed to piss off his constituents enough to get the boot, something you refuse to admit because it destroys your pathetic little "It was the TEA PARTY" line of attack.

It had less to do with his "Conservative Creds" as it did with he insulted his voter base, voted with the Dem's on a few issues his peeps didn't want him too and he got tossed for it.

So in other words, he wasn't "Party of No" enough?

Back
Top Bottom