• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

Crovax

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Anyone been to Ruth's Chris steakhouse before?

I'm taking my mom and my girlfriends family there for mothers day. Looking at the menu, I'm not looking forward to picking up the tab for 7 people but if the steaks are good it'll be worth it.

the steaks will be great

and yea, so will the tab

Ive eaten at an RC a few times. Steaks are okay, though my fav steakhouse is still Peter Lugers.

Ruth's Chris Steak House is very good and very pricey. Personally I don't think they're worth it.

THat is the kind of place you go to show off that you have money to blow, not to get your monies worth. And unless you can afford for people to spend $80+ each set limits before you walk in the door. 7 people all inclusive to include wine could very easily set you back $500 by the time you are done. If you are doing a cocktail round make it $600.

Or more.

It is never worth it too me, but if someone else is paying I am game.

Last edited:
Ruth's Chris Steak House is very good and very pricey. Personally I don't think they're worth it.

I think thats the characteristic of all the big steakhouses in general: expensive but if you like steak then you ought to be ready to pay for it.

I would prefer a steakhouse over fine dining though- I never seem to get full every time I go to one of those fancy schmancy chef tasting menu restaurants and their prices are about the same. At least you have a full belly when youre done at a steakhouse.

The price of steak, especially at RCs? Might as well buy everyone a lobster.

THat is the kind of place you go to show off that you have money to blow, not to get your monies worth. And unless you can afford for people to spend $80+ each set limits before you walk in the door. 7 people all inclusive to include wine could very easily set you back $500 by the time you are done. If you are doing a cocktail round make it $600.

It is never worth it too me, but if someone else is paying I am game.

Well $500 is usually about the tab when I take the whole group out so I guess it won't be so bad and I'm the only real drinker. I know I could get my money's worth at a place like Fogo de Chao but I was wondering if the quality was going to be better at a place like ruths chris.

As far as limits when going out, I don't see the point to taking someone out to a restaurant then limiting what they can have. That's pretty much the whole point of going out to eat. If all I could afford was Chili's that's where we'd be going. On a side note though I have managed to rack up a decent tab at Chili's.

Last time me and my friends went to Applebees we went after 10 for the half price apps, and I was the DD. My tab was $3.64. :lol:

Hope you have fun! I've heard RC is real good.

Could someone define what is meant by "Chris"? Is a "Chris" steak a special kind of steak?
Does it have anything to do with "Chris and Pitts?" (steak sauce)

I've been to the Ruth's Chris in Houston about 5 times. It's expensive, and it's worth it IMO. The rib eye is to die for, as is the filet, my two favorites. The portions for the sides are so large, that one order of potatoes will feed 3 normal people. We usually split an appetizer and it is enough for two. Everything is good, the appetizers, steaks, sides, desert, coffee, wine, drinks, ambiance, and the service. My tab has run about $100 per person at dinner. We don't split because we can't afford it, we are not big eaters and prefer to eat each course, and we just don't want to leave over-stuffed.

Last edited:
I haven't been there myself, but my parents have and they weren't too impressed by it.

When we go out, we go all out and don't look at the prices. We want quality food that is well prepared and meets our expectations. If we don't want to spend much money, we rather stay home and have a salad than compromising by going to a restaurant we don't care for.
FFT, if you want to treat someone you love on a special occasion, why not cook for them at home? Sure, it may not turn out too great, but it is the loving effort behind it that makes it so special. Husband's steaks are to die for. He falls a bit short on the side dishes though, and clean up is still a bit of an issue. But who cares. After being treated like this, who would wants to clean when we have better things to do...you know...

You can cook the steaks at home and eat just as well for less money.

Sometimes eating out is about the "special occasion". Plus the variety of what's offered. And not having to clean up. And the bar offerings. And desert.

I just did that for my birthday..... caviar roasted potatoes, caviar eggs, and tortilla chips with queso for starters, Prime New Yorks for Costco (very good) with mushrooms/onions/blue cheese/port wine reduction, baked potato/sour creams and chives, BLT chopped salad, langostino scampi, with walnut cake for desert for five. Also three bottles of very good wine. The whole thing was less than $300. We had leftovers, which were fab. Had I not blown $110 on 2oz Bulgarian Sturgeon Caviar it would have been less, but I wanted a festive event.

The food was prepared with a lot of attention to minute detail. However, what I thought was a bit odd was that the entire menu is ala carte and even the items that are not the steak are way, way over-priced. If you've got the bucks to blow and you want to impress everyone with the chichi awesomeness, it will be a good experience. You can do better with any steakhouse price wise, for the same quality food, but the napkins and the atmosphere may not be as fancy.

Don't know about that. My favorites are "Grill 23" in Boston (not a chain) or "The Chicago Chophouse" in Chicago.

Though these days I tend to avoid Steakhouses. The good ones have gotten so absurdly expensive. I'd much rather buy a dry-aged or prime steak from a butcher for 20-23/lb if I want to splurge, or 14/lb if I want marbled choice greatness....

Don't know about that. My favorites are "Grill 23" in Boston (not a chain) or "The Chicago Chophouse" in Chicago.

Though these days I tend to avoid Steakhouses. The good ones have gotten so absurdly expensive. I'd much rather buy a dry-aged or prime steak from a butcher for 20-23/lb if I want to splurge, or 14/lb if I want marbled choice greatness....

You can get up to 90 day dry aged prime shipped if you want to really change things up. Me I dont want to go more than 45 days, 28-30 is best, but some people get into that funky taste.

But ya, a lot of people can cook steaks well so I dont see paying a steakhouse as much as they want now that the best steaks are available for Joe Sixpack to buy. It used to be that prime, and especially dry aged prime, was impossible to get, the steakhouses bought them all on long term contracts and did the aging themselves, and were not interested in selling them on the side. What really pisses me off is the wine list though, most of the steakhouses run super expensive and super high mark-ups. It is if they have marked their customers for chumps.

Last edited:
You can get up to 90 day dry aged prime shipped if you want to really change things up. Me I dont want to go more than 45 days, 28-30 is best, but some people get into that funky taste.

But ya, a lot of people can cook steaks well so I dont see paying a steakhouse as much as they want. What really pisses me off is the wine list though, most of the steakhouses run super expensive and super high mark-ups. It is if they have marked their customers for chumps.

Yep, the one list is another killer. Many restaurants will do a 200% mark-up, which is bad enough. But Steakhouses? 400%. Etc.

It's a strange contrast with Europe. In most places I've been, the dishes will be a bit more expensive on average here, but the wine is typically priced only a bit above store price. Maybe 10-20%. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely accurate reflection of the cost of the space used to store the wine for X years.

Yep, the one list is another killer. Many restaurants will do a 200% mark-up, which is bad enough. But Steakhouses? 400%. Etc.

It's a strange contrast with Europe. In most places I've been, the dishes will be a bit more expensive on average here, but the wine is typically priced only a bit above store price. Maybe 10-20%. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely accurate reflection of the cost of the space used to store the wine for X years.

I was at at steakhouse in Tucson 2002, the LOWEST priced bottle on the list was $80, running to $1800.

****. That.

Last time me and my friends went to Applebees we went after 10 for the half price apps, and I was the DD. My tab was $3.64. :lol:

Hope you have fun! I've heard RC is real good.

Cheapskate. :kissy:

The food was prepared with a lot of attention to minute detail. However, what I thought was a bit odd was that the entire menu is ala carte and even the items that are not the steak are way, way over-priced. If you've got the bucks to blow and you want to impress everyone with the chichi awesomeness, it will be a good experience. You can do better with any steakhouse price wise, for the same quality food, but the napkins and the atmosphere may not be as fancy.
Cattlemen's in California is like that. (Or, was, I haven't been in over 10 years)

They made a mean steak, but I always felt I was being nickle-and-dimed to death.

Cattlemen's in California is like that. (Or, was, I haven't been in over 10 years)

They made a mean steak, but I always felt I was being nickle-and-dimed to death.

In Seattle restaurants now the bread and butter is usually extra, about $4.50. This always pisses me off, especially since they also tend to only deliver a smidgen of butter, usually unsalted crap but with too little or too much salt over the top.

Back
Top Bottom