• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted against Trump asylum restrictions while at hospital for surgery

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted against Trump asylum restrictions while at hospital for surgery

rbg-scrunchie-300x200.jpg

12/23/18
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg reportedly voted from the hospital against President Trump’s proposed asylum restrictions. NBC Connecticut and other outlets reported that Ginsburg cast the vote during her stay at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York before surgery on Friday to remove two malignant nodules on a lung. While original reports said that Ginsburg voted from her hospital bed, NBC clarified that she voted before her surgery. The Supreme Court decided in a 5-4 ruling to refuse the Trump administration’s request to restore restrictions that would block some migrants who crossed the U.S.-Mexico border illegally from seeking asylum. The request followed a decision from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to reject the administration’s efforts to implement the new policy. Chief Justice John Roberts sided with the more liberal justices in the ruling.

Thanks to Skype ;)

I hear the 85 year old RBG works out in a gym every day. I wish her Godspeed on her recovery from surgery.

The Justice has a strong and enviable work ethic.

Let's hope she does not pull a McCain....when she cant do the job anymore she must leave...Honor Demands

I hear the 85 year old RBG works out in a gym every day. I wish her Godspeed on her recovery from surgery.

I disagree with most (not all) of her rulings and I vehemently disagree with her belief that the Constitution is a malleable and dynamic guide that can be interpreted differently as time goes by and that it is not a document that can only be changed by Amendment rather than cultural interpretation based on social change.

That said... I also have the utmost respect for her as a person and as jurist. Her strength of character is unmatched. Her work ethic, her dedication to her beliefs, and her willingness to speak loudly to issues that others would not even broach - equal rights and equal protection under the law for all [especially women] as one example - that makes RBG a force that has changed our country, and she will have a long lasting impact on the court, the country, and the world.

I wish her a speedy recovery, and a long life.

Let's hope she does not pull a McCain....when she cant do the job anymore she must leave...Honor Demands

Honor demands that - if necessary - she spends her last breath on earth opposing Trump and staying on the Court until a Democrat can replace her.

The Justice has a strong and enviable work ethic.

Doubt if she had to work very hard on this one. All she needed to know is which side Trump was on and took the other. Similar effort needed by the Chief Justice.

Doubt if she had to work very hard on this one. All she needed to know is which side Trump was on and took the other. Similar effort needed by the Chief Justice.

Then thank God for Chief Justice Roberts and the others who followed the Constitution and existing law. POTUS has no regard for the rule of law or the Constitution as he has time and again.

Then thank God for Chief Justice Roberts and the others who followed the Constitution and existing law. POTUS has no regard for the rule of law or the Constitution as he has time and again.

Funny how interpretation of the constitution is now up to supreme court justices' partisan stance.

She is very predictable, since her mind is already made up based on partisan politics. Her real skill is in her ability to write her formal decision in a way that makes it appear she did not make up her mind in advance. An objective person looks at all the data and draws a conclusion from the data; draw the best curve. The biased person draws their opinion/conclusion, first, and then works their writings magic, so it appears they considered this in an objective way.

She hates Trump so anything he wants, she will do the opposite. She will then carefully craft her decision, so it appears her biased decision, was the result of a long and careful analysis of the facts and law. She is good at reverse engineering her bias, so it looks objective.

Back
Top Bottom