• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, No Fan of Donald Trump, Critiques Last Term

That's pretty vague and certainly could be argued to condemn a great deal of other justices behaviors.

I'm not sure that her statement qualifies. She should not have made the statement because of the implications, but i would say that she wasn't making much of an explicit political statement.

Perhaps you should start some more threads and discuss the other justices, but this thread is about clearly political statements about a political candidate for the office of the President. Saying that you agreed with her would be a more vague statement than what she actually said. Perhaps you are not familiar with what she actually said:

From NBC News:

Ginsburg has slammed Trump three times in the last week.
•"He has no consistency about him," Ginsburg told CNN late Monday. "He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. ... How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."
•She told the New York Times in an interview published online Sunday, "I can't imagine what this place would be — I can't imagine what the country would be — with Donald Trump as our president…For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be — I don't even want to contemplate that." She told Times reporter Adam Liptak that it reminded her of something her husband, Martin, who died in 2010, would have said: "Now it's time for us to move to New Zealand."
•When asked by Associated Press reporter Mark Sherman about a Trump victory, Ginsburg said: "I don't want to think about that possibility."

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Doubles Down on Donald Trump Criticism - NBC News

Honestly, do you believe that this statements are vague with regard to them being political?

That's exactly what they were saying on MSNBC today. Because of her comments, and her vocal proclamations of her opposition to Trump, she can and likely will be pressured to recuse herself on virtually everything that comes before SCOTUS that impacts him or is the result of something started by him (like the Obama Executive Order decision), if he actually ends up becoming President.

They all have a political bias. Thomas is obviously a Republican/Conservative. He's probably biased against Hillary. Sotomayor is probably also biased against Trump because of her political leanings. Sotomayor and Thomas weren't and aren't stupid enough to say it to the press before an election.

RBG knows she screwed up big time, which is why she's walking it back the way she is. A lesson in humility for her.

I believe that her colleagues pointed out to her that what she said was inappropriate and she was actually apologizing to them. I believe that due to her age and health, that she has served her last term and she was vocalizing her preference for the person who will pick her successor.

Perhaps you should start some more threads and discuss the other justices, but this thread is about clearly political statements about a political candidate for the office of the President. Saying that you agreed with her would be a more vague statement than what she actually said. Perhaps you are not familiar with what she actually said:

From NBC News:

Ginsburg has slammed Trump three times in the last week.
•"He has no consistency about him," Ginsburg told CNN late Monday. "He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. ... How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."
•She told the New York Times in an interview published online Sunday, "I can't imagine what this place would be — I can't imagine what the country would be — with Donald Trump as our president…For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be — I don't even want to contemplate that." She told Times reporter Adam Liptak that it reminded her of something her husband, Martin, who died in 2010, would have said: "Now it's time for us to move to New Zealand."
•When asked by Associated Press reporter Mark Sherman about a Trump victory, Ginsburg said: "I don't want to think about that possibility."

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Doubles Down on Donald Trump Criticism - NBC News

Honestly, do you believe that this statements are vague with regard to them being political?

Well let's look at how political these statements are.

The notorious RBG thinks of Trump as:
- having no consistency (personal, not political)
- having an ego (personal, not political)
- having not turned in tax returns (personal, not political) and not faced pressure from the press to do so (personal, not political)
- a difficult potential presidency to imagine (vague)

And lastly she does not want to think about a Trump presidency. That sounds pretty politically impartial to me. Did you catch her saying that she's excited about a Hillary presidency ?

I believe that her colleagues pointed out to her that what she said was inappropriate and she was actually apologizing to them. I believe that due to her age and health, that she has served her last term and she was vocalizing her preference for the person who will pick her successor.

Regurgitating Trumps distasteful attack on her age ...? Not a strong case.

Well let's look at how political these statements are.

The notorious RBG thinks of Trump as:
- having no consistency (personal, not political)
- having an ego (personal, not political)
- having not turned in tax returns (personal, not political) and not faced pressure from the press to do so (personal, not political)
- a difficult potential presidency to imagine (vague)

And lastly she does not want to think about a Trump presidency. That sounds pretty politically impartial to me. Did you catch her saying that she's excited about a Hillary presidency ?

Regurgitating Trumps distasteful attack on her age ...? Not a strong case.

I feel badly about anyone that blatantly partisan. You support Justice Ginsburg because you agree with her. If you can't recognize what she said as being political then I am unworthy to cure your vision. Be well and good bye.

I feel badly about anyone that blatantly partisan. You support Justice Ginsburg because you agree with her. If you can't recognize what she said as being political then I am unworthy to cure your vision. Be well and good bye.

I accept the forfeit implied by your abandonment of your claim that RBG violated the code of conduct that you cited.

I accept the forfeit implied by your abandonment of your claim that RBG violated the code of conduct that you cited.

At least you are consistent in not seeing things that were said. I don't engage people who are not reasonable. I'll waste no more time with you.

Just a couple of things on this. She should not be saying things like that as a sitting judge. Why doesn't she just campaign for Hillary if she is going to attack Trump? The other thing is, she is a horrible judge and can't be trusted to be fair.

Does anyone here think that she would make an impartial decision if this case came before the court? Not a chance. She, and the other three libs do not follow the rules according to the Constitution. They make their left wing leaning decision, and then try to fit the square peg in the round hole. Get them off the court!

No confusion on my part. Her words are clearly talking about a candidate for office by name and referencing that person occupying the office which is addressed in the code.

“On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them,” Justice Ginsburg said in a statement on Thursday. “Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/us/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-donald-trump.html?_r=0

Tell you what, I'll stick to listening to what the current Supreme Court Justices have to say, and you can continue to focus on past Justices.

"On reflection,my recent remarks were ill-advised and I regret making them."

TRANSLATION: "I regret that I got caught. I've exposed myself for what I really am, a Hillary hack."

At least you are consistent in not seeing things that were said. I don't engage people who are not reasonable. I'll waste no more time with you.

You're free to your opinion.

My opinion is that your initial citation against RBG was debunked and that your second citation was too vague.

I will never be able to prove it but of course She talked to Obama, asking "Do you think I should try to warn the country about Small Hands" and he of course said "You and me both should, sister".

Back
Top Bottom