• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia's War With Ukraine Could Be Headed Towards Stalemate

RIP U.S. Democracy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
From the Washington Post --

Russia’s attempt to conquer Ukraine could be headed toward a stalemate as heavy casualties and equipment losses take a toll on unprepared Russian forces that have failed so far to achieve any of their initial objectives, Western officials and military experts say.

The front lines have barely moved in more than a week. Russians are being killed or injured at the rate of up to 1,000 a day, according to Western intelligence estimates, and more, according to Ukrainian ones.

Videos of burned-out tanks and abandoned convoys stream constantly on Ukrainian social media accounts, alongside footage of dead Russian soldiers, surrendering Russian soldiers, hungry Russian soldiers stealing chickens from local farmers — and, increasingly, the mangled bodies of Ukrainian civilians dying in missile and artillery attacks.

The ferocity of the Russian assault has only intensified as the advances have slowed, with Russia substituting harsh bombardments of civilian populations for progress on the battlefield. Everyday Ukrainians living in cities surrounded, or partially surrounded, by Russian troops are paying the price for a war effort that began to go wrong in the first hours.

But in the absence of substantive progress on the ground and given the scale of the losses being inflicted on its ranks, Russia’s military campaign could soon become unsustainable, with troops unable to advance because they lack sufficient manpower, supplies and munitions, analysts and officials say.

The next two weeks could be critical in determining the outcome of the entire war, they say.
Unless Russia can swiftly improve its supply lines, bring reinforcements and bolster the flagging morale of the troops on the ground, its goals may become impossible to achieve.

"that have failed so far to achieve any of their initial objectives, Western officials and military experts say."​

I wonder...what are the Russian objectives? And how do those "Western officials and military experts" know what the Russian objectives are?

Have they been talking to the Russians?

I'll admit I haven't been following this Russia/Ukraine thing closely. Have I missed a public statement from Russia about their objectives?

I wonder...what are the Russian objectives? And how do those "Western officials and military experts" know what the Russian objectives are?

It's true, how do we know their objective wasn't to get bogged down and suffer massive casualties? If so, this might be the most successful military operation of all time.

It's true, how do we know their objective wasn't to get bogged down and suffer massive casualties? If so, this might be the most successful military operation of all time.
So...you don't know, either. Right?

"that have failed so far to achieve any of their initial objectives, Western officials and military experts say."​

I'll admit I haven't been following this Russia/Ukraine thing closely. Have I missed a public statement from Russia about their objectives?
Russia's objectives?
- same as any good ole' fashioned 20th century war of conquest. Take or control Ukraines territory and assets.

As for stalemate....unfortunately for all involved....not likely. Russia will not negotiate in good faith unless they have taken Odesa and landlocked Ukraine as a result. Ukraine realizes that given the current cirstumstance Odesa is the prize for Russia. Russia FAILED to take Kyiv quickly, decapitate the government and take over that way. That by the way was a bad plan from the start. It required that Russia take and hold more territory than they can even take, never mind hold.

But Putin could possibly take and hold the strip of Ukraine along the southern coast at least for a time, land locking the country, toppling the government that way and robbing a strategic win from what now looks like a strategic defeat. Putin has no other way to a win from his bombastic miscalculation and invasion. Now Putin has locked himself into a real quagmire and not one he is likely to win.

Unfortunately at least IMO, this thing will be fought till one side or the other gives up.

Last edited:
So...you don't know, either. Right?

Making an ass of yourself yet again, I see.

You haven't been following the Ukraine/Russia conflict closely, you say? No surprise there.

That's like ****ing Fred Flinstone saying he didn't go to college.

Well, well, well....

How intelligent is it to call someone the bad guy, when we don't know their objectives?

Russia's objectives?
- same as any good ole' fashioned 20th century war of conquest. Take or control Ukraines territory and assets.
Has Russia said this?

Well, well, well....

How intelligent is it to call someone the bad guy, when we don't know their objectives?
We do know. Common sense and an understand of history tells you Putin's objectives. What you think Vlad was going to tell us?

Has Russia said this?
What....you think Putin was going to tell us? ahhhhh.....ahhha.....ahahahahahha

He was going to tell us everything but his true intentions and OH LOOK, he just about has told us every possible other story under the sun. ALL LIES!!!

Well, well, well....

One of the dumbest comments I've ever read on here. You're obviously a Putin lover.

The Russians are indiscriminately killing Ukranian civilians. It doesn't ****ing matter what their "objectives" are.

Indeed...just like it was Hitler's objective to surrender an entire German Army during the battle for Stalingrad.

Putin is getting old and wants to cement his place on history. He fancies himself as the modern day Katherine the Great projecting power over lesser peoples and demanding tribute from them.

As for stalemate....unfortunately for all involved....not likely. Russia will not negotiate in good faith unless they have taken Odesa and landlocked Ukraine as a result. Ukraine realizes that given the current cirstumstance Odesa is the prize for Russia. Russia FAILED to take Kyiv quickly, decapitate the government and take over that way. That by the way was a bad plan from the start. It required that Russia take and hold more territory than they can even take, never mind hold.

There won't be a quick resolution to this conflict. That is the definition of a stalemate. From the article --

“I don’t think Ukraine forces can push Russian forces out of Ukraine, but I also don’t think Russian forces can take that much more of Ukraine,” said Rob Lee, a former U.S. Marine who is now a senior fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute.

Just like World War I was a stalemate for over 3 years, from the autumn of 1914 to the spring of 1918.

Putin is getting old and wants to cement his place on history. He fancies himself as the modern day Katherine the Great projecting power over lesser peoples and demanding tribute from them.

This is probably the primary reason. He wants a legacy so that statues of him will be placed all across Mother Russia.

One of the dumbest comments I've ever read on here. You're obviously a Putin lover.

The Russians are indiscriminately killing Ukranian civilians. It doesn't ****ing matter what their "objectives" are.

You obviously haven’t seen much of Lord. He is the King of Dumb Comments in the Climate forum.

There won't be a quick resolution to this conflict. That is the definition of a stalemate. From the article --

Just like World War I was a stalemate for over 3 years, from the autumn of 1914 to the spring of 1918.
Actually the definition of a stalemate in war is that both sides entrench in their positions, cease ground air and sea military activities and sit there waiting to see who or if anybody makes a next move.

Putin won't stop attacking now until he takes Odesa and Ukraine won't let him have it. If and when Putin realizes that he is not going to be allowed to take Odesa, he might just entrench and try to reach a negotiated settlement that suits him. If he entrenches and stops the bombing and if Ukraine does not take advantage of the opportunity to counterattack, that would be a stalemate.

However I suspect that if Putin does stop, Ukraine will try to push him back. I don't blame them. I would try to push Putin back if that is the position I found myself in.

Trumpsters asking if Putin said this, or that... Like if Putin would tell the truth...

Trumpsters are so use to being lied to they actually think someone like Putin would tell the truth...

They are a gullible, ignorant bunch..

Yes, your handlers decided not to share any of Russia’s statements with you, so that you would remain a useful pawn of the elites and the pukes. One could say that they dismissed you.

Well, well, well....

True. Perhaps the reason for all the bombing, destruction and deaths is because Putin wants some cool Lego sets. I love how where others see 1 and 1 adding to 2, you see the infinitude of all possible values.

Have I missed a public statement from Russia about their objectives?​
Because That's how you get to the truth right? They just come out and tell you something?
What a joke.

We do know. Common sense and an understand of history tells you Putin's objectives. What you think Vlad was going to tell us?
Facts based on stereotyping actions? Is that how you "know?"

Back
Top Bottom