• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia's recognition of the independence of Donbass.

It looks bad, but considering where all the aggression is coming from, its probably pretty meaningless.

Putin uses it as a pretext for aggression, but what really concerns him about NATO is not so much its military capabilities, but that they defend democracy and people want democracy. That is a personal threat to his rule.
Indeed, as I tried to outline in post # 50.

"No state on MY borders that is more successful economically than I am."

Bad precedent.

"The example of "the Baltics" booming by comparison is already a thorn in my side."

Of course he's ruining Russia even more as he has been doing from the outset, but as long as he can sell the nationalist narrative to the people............................

Germany from 1933 (and before) to 1945 serves as a good text book.

Ukrainians should be thankful for the Russian support. Stalin was a great leader for their nation and only starved 3 or 4 million of them to death. Heck, they even named Donetsk for Stalin at one point. Maybe this time Putin can starve 6 or 7 million to death and make life in Ukraine even better!
He will since only Democrats oppose Putin, not Republicans.

It looks bad, but considering where all the aggression is coming from, its probably pretty meaningless.

Putin uses it as a pretext for aggression, but what really concerns him about NATO is not so much its military capabilities, but that they defend democracy and people want democracy. That is a personal threat to his rule.

Let me try to break down your accusations against the Dictator:
1 Aggression
2. Allergic to democracy.

On 2 I find the Dictator guilty. On 1, I will say the jury is out on that, but I have no problem with finding of guilt.

The Dictator also has his case against Nato:
1 Expansionism.

I agree with the Dictator on that. I do find Nato guilty of expansionism. Nato is a military alliance, and like any military structure, poses a threat. Whether it is used or not. The Nato claim by its Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg that Russia has no right to concern itself with who Nato engages an alliance with is academic nonesense. The Dictator will be remiss in his duties if he did not act to discourage foreign hostile military alliances planting themselves on his periphery. The US has done that with its Monroe Doctrine and with JFK in 1962. And it is a concern that expresses itself throughout history as far back as the Roman Imperium.

I dont know about other posters. I can concede that it may very well make no difference whatever Nato did. But I do not see how that makes difference to the Russian objections to Nato contracting alliances in its vincinity. A military alliance taking up shop in Russia's proximity makes it a matter of Russian concern; irrespective of whether Russia has ambitions of its own or not.

There are already several (5 or 6 I think.) Nato countries on Russias border.

Finland is not. Off head I have Poland, the Three Baltic midgets: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. So I will say 4.

But the situation was much more ominous for Russia. Before the Russian Dictator started growling and making things difficult it is easily forgotten that the EU had a certain folder EaP or Eastern Association Partnership. This folder targeted for admission to the EU Belarus, Ukrainia, Moldavia, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. Now if you take into account that acession to EU is preliminary to acession to Nato you can begin to understand the hostile reaction of the Dictator.

****ing war.

There are already several (5 or 6 I think.) Nato countries on Russias border.

Finland is not. Off head I have Poland, the Three Baltic midgets: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. So I will say 4.
Three: Norway, Estonia, Latvia.

Oops: Correction. I forgot about that weird little sliver of Russia between Lithuania and Poland. So, the answer is 5.

Last edited:
Three: Norway, Estonia, Latvia.

Oops: Correction. I forgot about that weird little sliver of Russia between Lithuania and Poland. So, the answer is 5.

Correction for me as well. Actually without Kaliningrad Russia has no frontiers with Poland. But when I first listed Poland I was not even thinking of Belarus wedged between Poland and Russia. Yes, and Norway. I didnt know Norway snaked all the way north and round to have a border with Russia!

Back
Top Bottom