• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Russia's Military Intervention: A Product of Russia's World Perspective and Fears

donsutherland1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
In an opinion piece published in today’s edition of The Wall Street Journal, Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili asks, “Why this war? This is the question my people are asking. This war is not of Georgia's making, nor is it Georgia's choice.” Those who understand Russia’s history and understand the prism through which Russia’s leaders view the world should not be surprised that Georgia’s effort to militarily settle the South Ossetia dispute resulted in significant Russian intervention.

Russia has historically felt insecure in spite of great power and expansive frontiers. It has had a fear that the surrounding states could grow hostile and strangle it. That fear drove what amounted to an expansionist policy, be through territorial gain or expanded influence, particularly in bordering regions.

In The New Diplomacy: International Affairs In The Modern Age, Abba Eban explained:

Territorial expansion was not a new feature of Russian history, and yet in Russian eyes it was a “defensive expansion” inspired by the lack of defensive frontiers and by the harsh experience of past generations in which invading Russia had been an endemic habit of powerful European states. From the very beginning of the postwar [post-World War II] period the Soviet Union has displayed the classic contradictions of its image: a siege mentality combined with a sweeping audacity beyond the walls…

The nightmare of constant attack from neighboring countries, most recently experienced in the tragedy of 20 million Russian dead at the hands of the Nazis, had hardened the Soviet resolve to be satisfied with nothing less than total control of all contiguous territories.

In Diplomacy Henry Kissinger wrote:

Paradox was Russia’s most distinguishing feature. Constantly at war and expanding in every direction, it nevertheless considered itself permanently threatened. The more polyglot the empire became, the more vulnerable Russia felt, partly because of its need to isolate the various nationalities from their neighbors. To sustain their rule and to surmount the tensions among the empire’s various populations, all of Russia’s rulers invoked the myth of some vast, foreign threat, which, in time, turned into another of the self-fulfilling prophecies that doomed the stability of Europe.

As Russia expanded from the area around Moscow toward the center of Europe, the shores of the Pacific, and into Central Asia, its quest for security evolved into expansion for its own sake.

Russia gradually turned into as much of a threat to the balance of power in Europe as it did to the sovereignty of neighbors around its vast periphery. No matter how much territory it controlled, Russia inexorably pushed its borders outward.

Following the implosion of the Soviet Union and the political and economic crises that followed, the specter of weakness haunted Russia. Russia’s fears were intensified by pundits’ proclamations of a new single Superpower world. However the U.S. tried to explain it, Russia’s leaders saw U.S. unilateralism as a threat to Russia’s national security. U.S. withdrawal from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty, the expansion of NATO into Eastern Europe, the West’s wresting Kosovo from Serbia, and U.S. plans to construct anti-missile radar installations in Poland and the Czech Republic all fed those fears.

A landmark speech by former Russian President Vladimir Putin before the Munich Conference on Security Policy in February 2007 encapsulated the Russian perspective concerning U.S. policy, particularly military interventions, and Russia’s fears. President Putin declared:

I consider that the unipolar model is not only unacceptable but also impossible in today’s world. And this is not only because if there was individual leadership in today’s – and precisely in today’s – world, then the military, political and economic resources would not suffice. What is even more important is that the model itself is flawed because at its basis there is and can be no moral foundations for modern civilization…

Unilateral and frequently illegitimate actions have not resolved any problems. Moreover, they have caused new human tragedies and created new centers of tension. Judge for yourselves: wars as well as local and regional conflicts have not diminished… And no less people perish in these conflicts – even more are dying than before. Significantly more, significantly more!

Today we are witnessing an almost uncontained hyper use of force – military force – in international relations, force that is plunging the world into an abyss of permanent conflicts. As a result we do not have sufficient strength to find a comprehensive solution to any one of these conflicts. Finding a political settlement also becomes impossible.

We are seeing a greater and greater disdain for the basic principles of international law. And independent legal norms are, as a matter of fact, coming increasingly closer to one state’s legal system. One state and, of course, first and foremost the United States, has overstepped its national borders in every way…

And of course this is extremely dangerous. It results in the fact that no one feels safe. I want to emphasize this – no one feels safe! Because no one can feel that international law is like a stone wall that will protect them. Of course such a policy stimulates an arms race.

The force’s dominance inevitably encourages a number of countries to acquire weapons of mass destruction. Moreover, significantly new threats – though they were also well-known before – have appeared, and today threats such as terrorism have taken on a global character.

I am convinced that we have reached that decisive moment when we must seriously think about the architecture of global security.

Russia viewed developments in Georgia as part of a long-run trend that it felt was posing a growing threat to its security interests. “No one feels safe,” Putin had observed in his speech. Russia felt that the ring around its state was closing. Yesterday, The New York Times reported:

The Bush administration’s strong support for Georgia — including the training of Georgia’s military and arms support — came, in part, as a reward for its support of the United States in Iraq. The United States has held Georgia up as a beacon of democracy in the former Soviet Union; it was supposed to be an example to other former Soviet republics of the benefits of tilting to the West.

But that, along with America and Europe’s actions on Kosovo, left Russia feeling threatened, encircled and more convinced that it had to take aggressive measures to restore its power, dignity and influence in a region it considers its strategic back yard, foreign policy experts said.

The Moscow Times wrote of the thinking that guided Russia's government:

The South Ossetian conflict was a foreign policy trap for Russia from the start, and the trap slammed shut after the Georgian troops started shelling Tskhinvali late last week and its residents pleaded for Moscow to intervene, said Alexander Khramchikhin, a senior researcher with the Institute of Political and Military Analysis.

"Russia was left with the choice of either becoming a traitor or an aggressor," he said.

This apparently was a tough choice for a country that feels encircled and humiliated as former vassal regimes turn to the West. The fact that Georgia is a close ally of the United States, which strongly backs its bid to join NATO, promises to further complicate the bigger, geopolitical ramifications of the violence in South Ossetia.

In the end, Russian intervention should reasonably have been expected. Although the conflict was not of Georgia’s choice, it was the unintended consequence of Georgia’s decision to try to settle the South Ossetia dispute through armed force.

Now, looking farther ahead, the question arises as to what impact the success of Russian arms will have with respect to other disputes between Russia and its neighbors, as well as the larger framework of Russia-West relations. Will Russia marry its fears with its military success against Georgia to embark on an even more hawkish course? That is at least one plausible scenario. Such an outcome would increase geopolitical risk and it is a situation for which U.S. and Western policy makers will need to be prepared.

Last edited:
Russia flexing its muscles

Fighting in Georgia a serious test for the West, and mostly for America

Isabella Ginor

Russia’s decision to get involved in a seemingly local conflict apparently stemmed from its desire to prompt Georgia to embark on a military operation. This allowed Russia to portray Georgia as the aggressor and to justify Moscow’s massive intervention

Russia’s conduct is amazingly similar to a scenario we are already well familiar with: The Soviet initiative to create a crisis and war between Israel and the Arab states ahead of the Six-Day War, in order to intervene in favor of the “victims of aggression.”

The scope of the Russian military intervention was immediately characterized by the West as “disproportional.” That would be true had the operation been directed at Georgia alone. The targets bombed by the Russians as early as Friday included a Georgian Air Force base in the capital, Tbilisi. According to some reports, American experts are regularly deployed at the base. Israeli experts may also be deployed there, and at the very least were there at some point.

Yet this bombing, which was accompanied by political declarations, hinted that the Russians were signaling to the West, and mostly to the United States, that Russia is determined to prevent its own encirclement by NATO member states.[/I]

West’s credibility on the line

The events in Georgia are tuning into a serious test for the West’s ability, and first and foremost for the US, to end the war in the Caucuses and ensure that Georgia remains a sovereign state. Should Georgia be abandoned, the West’s and America’s credibility in respect to the willingness to protect their allies would be undermined.

Therefore, the events in Georgia must be of great interest for Israel as well. However, if it turns out that Georgia acted rashly and allowed the crisis to escalate, the Americans may be forced to find a balance that is not necessarily in Georgia’s favor. Does this remind you of anything?

Israel maintains close security ties with Georgia, but has great interest in the conflict for other reasons as well: Large quantities of oil and gas are transferred from Azerbaijan to the West via Georgia.

Dr. Isabella Ginor and Gideon Remez co-authored Foxbats over Dimona: The Soviets' Nuclear Gamble in the Six-Day War

Russia flexing its muscles - Israel Opinion, Ynetnews

The issue seems clear.

Who is going to control that region of the world?

The West or Russia?

Russia is asserting it's claim. Unless President Bush makes it clear to the American people why it is in our vital interests to challenge that claim we will have to back off.

I believe Russia took a calculated risk in embarking on this action but that it is predictable that they would feel uneasy with NATO forces encroaching on territory so close to it's sphere of influence. During the days of the Soviet Union, THIS AREA WAS ALL THEIRS. And there was no question about it.

Remember the lyrics to the Beatles song, "Back in the USSR":

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the west behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind

The Beatles - Back In The USSR Lyrics

If we are serious about this we will need to increase our manpower and our military expenditures and form a coalition of states which would support us in this effort. And until or unless the President can show us how it is in our vital interests to pursue this option I believe we will have to back away from this confrontation. It will hurt our bargaining position with would-be allies and foes, alike, and demonstrate our vulnerabilities to other groups and states, who would understandably interpret that as did Osama bin Laden, who called us a Paper Tiger before starting war with us.

However, we just might have to get used to that in order to avoid taking on "a bridge too far."

If we are serious about this we will need to increase our manpower and our military expenditures...

You mean spending as much as the rest of the world combined isn't enough??

Yeah, and Russia's intervention is wrong because one nation has no right to invade another just because it doesn't like what the other government is doing, right?

Welcome to the adult world where a failure to act to prevent predictable negative events can sometimes have disastrous results and where the future is always a mixture of anticipated results and those which are unanticipated.

I can well understand Russia's perspective and if I were in Putin's shoes I might have done as he has.

In this I see that you have chosen to defend a point of view which has no significant sponsorship.

Last edited:
You mean spending as much as the rest of the world combined isn't enough??

If you will stop a moment and really read my comments you will see that I am not advocating this course, but outlining why such a course is unlikely to be chosen by our leadership.

In this I see that you have chosen to defend a point of view which has no significant sponsorship.

What point of view did you think I was defending?

If you will stop a moment and really read my comments you will see that I am not advocating this course, but outlining why such a course is unlikely to be chosen by our leadership.

I must have misunderstood your statement: "If we are serious about this we will need to increase our manpower and our military expenditures" as advocating for that, unless your point is that we should be serious.

What point of view did you think I was defending?

That the Russians should not be taking military action in Georgia and that the US should not be taking military action in Iraq, or maybe anywhere?

I must have misunderstood your statement: "If we are serious about this we will need to increase our manpower and our military expenditures" as advocating for that, unless your point is that we should be serious.

And until or unless the President can show us how it is in our vital interests to pursue this option I believe we will have to back away from this confrontation. It will hurt our bargaining position with would-be allies and foes, alike, and demonstrate our vulnerabilities to other groups and states, who would understandably interpret that as did Osama bin Laden, who called us a Paper Tiger before starting war with us.

However, we just might have to get used to that in order to avoid taking on "a bridge too far."

From my statement above.

That the Russians should not be taking military action in Georgia and that the US should not be taking military action in Iraq ...?

Close enough, I'll agree with that statement.

The real point I was making is that if the rule of international law is to be that one nation has the right to attack another because the former doesn't like the government of the latter; this is the consequence of when other nations follow that rule too.

From my statement above.

So are you arguing that we should be serious and gear up and be prepared to responding militarily, or that this is a bridge to far and we ought to bitch but not start a war over it?

So are you arguing that we should be serious and gear up and be prepared to responding militarily, or that this is a bridge to far and we ought to bitch but not start a war over it?

The latter.

There is nothing we can do militarily at this point. And until or unless W outlined why we should be willing to take a stand, WE SHOULD NOT AND WILL NOT take military action.

The Russians have Georgia and will keep Georgia now.

We can kick Russia out of the G-8 and impose sanctions on them, but Arthur Ashe once explained that sometimes when he found himself in a tennis match and he was losing a game, rather than expending his resources trying to come back from a deficit to win that game or that set, he would simply cut his losses and vow to win the next game or the next set.

That is what we must do.

But before we do it will be important that we have a national consensus on whether the United States is willing to use our economic and military power to protect free nations around the world.

If so, then we'll need to have the support of the American people and we will need to increase our military manpower and our defense budgets.

If not, then we will have to take a back seat and watch as other actors (Russia, maybe China, the Iranians and other Islamists around the world) grab for the territories they want. And eventually the US will recognize that we made some good choices during the Bush administration but that we also made some poor ones.

I say this with benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

One of the bad decisions was to fail to anticipate the likelihood that the Democratic opposition would use our entry into the Iraq War for its own partisan political purposes unless the war was nailed down quickly. It wasn't and so we lost the opportunity to get the American people solidly behind the Iraq war.

And that has served to make us impotent now. Russia knows that. And so does the rest of the world. Watch for other moves to take place within the next 6 months by nations and groups jockeying for position before the new POTUS takes office.

Ukraine will be next on the Russian agenda.

Will we lay down and watch it succumb as well?

John McCain:
"The implications of Russian actions go beyond their threat to the territorial integrity and independence of a democratic Georgia. Russia is using violence against Georgia, in part, to intimidate other neighbors such as Ukraine for choosing to associate with the West and adhering to Western political and economic values.

As such, the fate of Georgia should be of grave concern to Americans and all people who welcomed the end of a divided of Europe, and the independence of former Soviet republics. The international response to this crisis will determine how Russia manages its relationships with other neighbors.

We have other important strategic interests at stake in Georgia, especially the continued flow of oil through the Baku-Tblisi-Ceyhan pipeline, which Russia attempted to bomb in recent days; the operation of a critical communication and trade route from Georgia through Azerbaijan and Central Asia; and the integrity and influence of NATO, whose members reaffirmed last April the territorial integrity, independence, and sovereignty of Georgia.​

For any latter-day isolationist, McCain had one more message. He alluded to the wars that engulfed much of humankind in the last century, both world wars for instance, the former which started with the assassination of a member of the European royalty in Serbia, the latter which began with Nazi Germany's invasion of Czechoslovakia.

... World history is often made in remote, obscure countries. It is being made in Georgia today. It is the responsibility of the leading nations of the world to ensure that history continues to be a record of humanity's progress toward respecting the values and security of free people.​

McCain to voters: Russia-Georgia matters: The Swamp

We may have no other choice but to use only diplomatic measures to stop the aggression.

Last edited:
Great read, donsutherland1.

Anyway, what a horrible gamble on Georgia's part. Russia had told them such a move would be suicide, and this gives the Russians an opportunity to flex their muscles, which I for one believe they were looking for. Did the Georgians honestly think NATO would fight Russia for them?

Just to update, it looks like they may lose another semi-autonomous zone (and oil-rich one, I believe):

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russian troops advance in Georgia

The latter.

There is nothing we can do militarily at this point. And until or unless W outlined why we should be willing to take a stand, WE SHOULD NOT AND WILL NOT take military action.

Agreed. I'm sure that Russia's all out aggression is at the very least encouraged, if not based on the knowledge that the US has about as many military options as Canada during this crisis. Attempting to commit to another war on foreign soil right now would be military suicide. If for no other reason (and there are plenty), the war in Iraq was a mistake because of the burden it places on our military and its readiness. Even if we could muster the muscle to beat the Russians at their own borders, our economy wouldn't survive the struggle. Seems to me that the Russians are sensing a bit of a vacuum, and Georgia is providing them a perfect opportunity to show that they are ready and very willing to fill it.

The latter.

We can kick Russia out of the G-8 and impose sanctions on them, but Arthur Ashe once explained that sometimes when he found himself in a tennis match and he was losing a game, rather than expending his resources trying to come back from a deficit to win that game or that set, he would simply cut his losses and vow to win the next game or the next set.

That is what we must do.

But before we do it will be important that we have a national consensus on whether the United States is willing to use our economic and military power to protect free nations around the world.

If so, then we'll need to have the support of the American people and we will need to increase our military manpower and our defense budgets.

If not, then we will have to take a back seat and watch as other actors (Russia, maybe China, the Iranians and other Islamists around the world) grab for the territories they want. And eventually the US will recognize that we made some good choices during the Bush administration but that we also made some poor ones.

I say this with benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

One of the bad decisions was to fail to anticipate the likelihood that the Democratic opposition would use our entry into the Iraq War for its own partisan political purposes unless the war was nailed down quickly. It wasn't and so we lost the opportunity to get the American people solidly behind the Iraq war.

And that has served to make us impotent now. Russia knows that. And so does the rest of the world. Watch for other moves to take place within the next 6 months by nations and groups jockeying for position before the new POTUS takes office.

Ukraine will be next on the Russian agenda.

Will we lay down and watch it succumb as well?

McCain to voters: Russia-Georgia matters: The Swamp

We may have no other choice but to use only diplomatic measures to stop the aggression.

I agree that the Bush administration following the neocons and not realizing that most Americans would not support a long, drawn out bull**** war was one of the administration's biggest mistakes.

Russia flexing its muscles - Israel Opinion, Ynetnews

The issue seems clear.

Who is going to control that region of the world?

The West or Russia?

I think narrowing down global politics to this is incredibly dangerous given how it brings us back to the machiavellian aproach used by the West and the Soviet union during the Cold War. I.E that anything that increased their influence was good [no matter how barbarous] and anything that decreased its influence was bad [no matter how virtuous]. For example Henry Kissenger once said of the many Latin American dictators that the U.S supported that "they may be sons of bitches but they,re our sons of bitches" and it was this aproach that led to the death of hundreds of thousands of people in Operation Condor* as well as pointless slaughter in Vietnam.

Perhaps rather than looking at Georgia and South Ossestia as if they where pawns on a geo-political chess board we should be baseing our policy on what protects the rights of those on the ground. I would prefer a world run by international law then one run by two or three superpowers concerned only with expanding their own power and influence.

*Operation Condor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russia is blaming the war on their enemies as they did Afganistan in the 1980s and the other Russian-created conflicts with neighboring countries during the Cold War. This war has the potential to be bad. Russia is back; prepare for the possible coming of the second Cold War.

By the way, did anyone see how Russia could move nuclear weapons to Cuba? No one is paying attention to this, but they should be. Cuban missile crisis anyone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom