• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian's have started the war in Ukraine

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Russian's are attacking and Putin is on Russian tv telling the Russian people it is the fault of NATO. No surprise there, but how will the rest of the world react, especially China. THe US is calling for meeting of the G7, of which China is one and we will see if China will support Russia in their land grab.

Recent Russian polling is a testament to the power of propaganda.

I think China will wait to see how effective the sanctions are before moving.

I can't find any livestreams showing the attack. Anybody have any links?

Note: I am currently watching various livestreams of Ukraine, and they're showing the skylines of their major cities, but everything looks quite tranquil and ordinary.

Okay, wait - I've found some streams showing some stuff -- looks like it might be anti-aircraft fire.

The Russian's are attacking and Putin is on Russian tv telling the Russian people it is the fault of NATO. No surprise there, but how will the rest of the world react, especially China. THe US is calling for meeting of the G7, of which China is one and we will see if China will support Russia in their land grab.

China should invade Taiwan. They know how the west will respond.

China should invade Taiwan. They know how the west will respond.
Rooting for a new cold war? Are you upset we won the last one? That's how the world will reconfigure itself. If Xi takes Taiwan, he knows the West will divest itself of China. It will result in a new cold war, with opposing forces vying for strategic land conquests/alliances, totally interdependent economically.

I don't know if Xi would take this route. The West buys far more Taiwanese products than Russia.

Xi leads a country in which the people, although living under an authoritarian government, are much more well-off economically than Russians. Xi needs his people. Putin needs his people to be wanting, feeling victimized. Two very different countries.

The only thing communist about China is that the government controls everything. The market China utilizes is capitalist. Very capitalist. Chinese billionaires are investing here.

Let's hope we have a strong NATO after Trump did what he could to destroy it. The Russians gained decades of advantage with trump in office, and now Biden must deal with it.....

I don't see how Putin does not come out of this as world Pariah....the 21st Century Hitler.

As predicted Russia appears to be first taking out Ukraine military air assets so that Russia controls the sky over Ukraine. They are targeting the military air fields of Ukraine with conventional missiles.

I assume the forum Russia-crats will take their usual powder for the night....SNOWFLAKES

I assume the forum Russia-crats will take their usual powder for the night....SNOWFLAKES
Maybe we can call them Russialicans.

With sanctions apparently. What else is there?
Putin's only strength is the military. Three US states have larger GDP's than Russia. China's economic power rivals ours.

Yes, both Xi and Putin know nukes are out of the question, and the West has no stomach for ground troops right now. We're at the same place we were after Vietnam. No one wants war. So, sanctions are basically it. The difference here is in what each country has to lose. Putin risks little compared to what Xi would risk.

Putin's only strength is the military. Three US states have larger GDP's than Russia. China's economic power rivals ours.

Yes, both Xi and Putin know nukes are out of the question, and the West has no stomach for ground troops right now. We're at the same place we were after Vietnam. No one wants war. So, sanctions are basically it. The difference here is in what each country has to lose. Putin risks little compared to what Xi would risk.
If Ukraine is willing to fight beyond what will be early victories for Russia, they will bleed Russia dry. Putin has really lost his mind.

Now that this invasion has started,

I think the Republicans will be drawing a clear line here in America between those against Putin, and pushing a strong and united condemnation, and those praising Putin, and threatening our southern neighbors with like strategy.

It's going to get pretty clear from here out just what kind of conservative you are. One that admires the power of our enemies, or one who thinks America is strong, united, and prepared to protect it's allies and NATO partners and those countries trying to maintain their freedom.

It will be an interesting year here, that's for sure.

If Ukraine is willing to fight beyond what will be early victories for Russia, they will bleed Russia dry. Putin has really lost his mind.
Another Afghanistan which led to the breakup of the USSR...

Now that this invasion has started,

I think the Republicans will be drawing a clear line here in America between those against Putin, and pushing a strong and united condemnation, and those praising Putin, and threatening our southern neighbors with like strategy.

It's going to get pretty clear from here out just what kind of conservative you are. One that admires the power of our enemies, or one who thinks America is strong, united, and prepared to protect it's allies and NATO partners and those countries trying to maintain their freedom.

It will be an interesting year here, that's for sure.
Between the uniting of Trumpist party leaders and Putin and with China's approval, it'll definitely be a bad year for democracy. And this could be just the beginning of Putin's attempt to reassemble the USSR...

I wonder what the option is for removing Russia's permanent veto at the UN.

Putin might have just helped Democrats in the midterms. Remember how unpopular Bush who stole the presidency had low approval and was heading toward losing re-election quickly until 9/11. Bush had said he wanted to be a war president to get political capital for his agenda. Now Biden is likely to get it.

Back
Top Bottom