• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russians Hacked Ukrainian Gas Company at Center of Impeachment

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Having completely failed to confront Russian hacking, let alone deter it, Trump has tacitly invited more of it. And now, having already succeeded in handing him the election in 2016, Russians are following from the same playbook to get him re-elected this year.

With President Trump facing an impeachment trial over his efforts to pressure Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and his son Hunter Biden, Russian military hackers have been boring into the Ukrainian gas company at the center of the affair, according to security experts.

The hacking attempts against Burisma, the Ukrainian gas company on whose board Hunter Biden served, began in early November, as talk of the Bidens, Ukraine and impeachment was dominating the news in the United States.

It is not yet clear what the hackers found, or precisely what they were searching for. But the experts say the timing and scale of the attacks suggest that the Russians could be searching for potentially embarrassing material on the Bidens — the same kind of information that Mr. Trump wanted from Ukraine when he pressed for an investigation of the Bidens and Burisma, setting off a chain of events that led to his impeachment.

The Russian tactics are strikingly similar to what American intelligence agencies say was Russia’s hacking of emails from Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman and the Democratic National Committee during the 2016 presidential campaign. In that case, once they had the emails, the Russians used trolls to spread and spin the material, and built an echo chamber to widen its effect.

Russians Hacked Ukrainian Gas Company at Center of Impeachment - The New York Times

Last edited:
Joyce Alene makes a crucial point:

"It's important to be savvy consumers of news here, especially on the forensic side of the equation. First will be the strength of the attribution of the hack to Russian GRU. And, if anything derogatory on the Bidens is produced, there will be significant issues of authentication."

In other words, since a hostile foreign adversary is the one hacking a Presidential candidate and will therefore be the one to release information considered damaging to the Biden, one would have to be cautious when determining if that information hasn't been altered first.

And in light of that, will news outlets have learned their lessons from 2016, or will they rush to publish unverified smear claims in order to be the first to get a scoop?

And I'm sure trump in no way requested this...

When will people understand with trump all roads lead to Putin???

And I'm sure trump in no way requested this...

When will people understand with trump all roads lead to Putin???

He didn't have to. Railroading everybody who tried to stop it or warn us about it was sufficient. And taking Putin's side over our intelligence community when he was in Helsinki sort of drives the point home. Oh, and there's that whole extorting Ukraine to dig up dirt on Biden, and publicly asking China to investigate Biden. It's a bit of a pattern is all I'm saying.

Preet Bahrara makes an apt prediction:

"Now cue Trump publicly asking for release of material hacked by Russia."

Now the cultists will come on celebrating that Russia is getting to the bottom of the "crooked Bidens"...

Now the cultists will come on celebrating that Russia is getting to the bottom of the "crooked Bidens"...

What I've always found interesting is that Republicans won't stuff ballot boxes. In their minds, that constitutes an unforgivable form of election cheating. Even ballot harvesting was a bridge too far. Every other form of cheating, however, is fair game. Rationalization is a powerful thing.

My gas provider is sticking it to me big time this year and I'm sure Putin has something to do with it. Everything that's going wrong in my life can be traced directly back to Putin, Obama and Hillary.

/case closed

My gas provider is sticking it to me big time this year and I'm sure Putin has something to do with it. Everything that's going wrong in my life can be traced directly back to Putin, Obama and Hillary.

/case closed

Look guys, it's stupid diversionary crap!

Having completely failed to confront Russian hacking, let alone deter it, Trump has tacitly invited more of it. And now, having already succeeded in handing him the election in 2016, Russians are following from the same playbook to get him re-elected this year.

Russians Hacked Ukrainian Gas Company at Center of Impeachment - The New York Times

Fake news. It was actually the Ukrainian government with the help of the DNC, using Hillary's e-mail server and Obama's Deep State that hacked in, in order to hide any evidence of wrongdoing by Biden.

Let's say worst case scenario for Biden, they find Hunter's job was predicated upon easier US influence and funding AND its verified...what happens next?

The article says that it's not clear what the hackers found, or what they were searching for but let's go ahead and blame the orange man.

What I've always found interesting is that Republicans won't stuff ballot boxes. In their minds, that constitutes an unforgivable form of election cheating. Even ballot harvesting was a bridge too far. Every other form of cheating, however, is fair game. Rationalization is a powerful thing.

Yup a Wisconsin judge just ruled today to remove 209,000 voters from the rolls.

Just more voter suppression...

Let's say worst case scenario for Biden, they find Hunter's job was predicated upon easier US influence and funding AND its verified...what happens next?

See post 3.

I would love to hear how ANY PRESIDENT, Obama, Trump, Biden or any other puppet placed in the whitehouse can do anything about hacking. This article stated earlier that they use the same tactics as the CIA, how is the international community preventing the CIA from hacking web sites? disseminating false or private information? Are we really so superior that we are the only country capable and permitted to do these disingenuous deeds?

Better yet, what is our or any other country doing about these brain washing schemes generated and portrayed on citizens by rich corporations?

Dems are lining up their excuses already?

Oh well...it didn't work for Hillary. Everyone knows she lost because she was a crappy campaigner and a worse candidate. Whoever emerges from this year's crop of Dems will have to do better...and be better. Excuses about "Russia did it!!" won't fly for them, either.

Yup a Wisconsin judge just ruled today to remove 209,000 voters from the rolls.

Just more voter suppression...

Seriously, voter suppression, or voter deaths, voters in other states? You may not believe this but high income people will claim residence in another state to relieve them of their tax burdens. If a rich man in your state said he lived in Florida, would you really want him voting in your state and Florida?

Seriously, voter suppression, or voter deaths, voters in other states? You may not believe this but high income people will claim residence in another state to relieve them of their tax burdens. If a rich man in your state said he lived in Florida, would you really want him voting in your state and Florida?

Funny you should mention that the only real voter fraud proven I. Wisconsin was a guy who had ho.es in both wi and Indiana.

Anyway they are raising this through so they don't have time to inform people of their removal before the election...
He came up and voted for Scott Walker 13 times...

Don't act stupid. It answers your question directly.
Ya know you have made 2 or 3 baiting posts as replies to me today, knock it the **** off.

It doesn't and further, you know it doesn't.

So again, let's say something is 100% verified and is a worst case scenario for Biden, what then?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

It doesn't and further, you know it doesn't.

If you don't think it answers your question, then have a more intelligent person (shouldn't be hard to find) read it slowly to you.

If you don't think it answers your question, then have a more intelligent person (shouldn't be hard to find) read it slowly to you.
How you know when you have asked something Cardinal won't even pretend to answer....

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Funny you should mention that the only real voter fraud proven I. Wisconsin was a guy who had ho.es in both wi and Indiana.

Anyway they are raising this through so they don't have time to inform people of their removal before the election...
He came up and voted for Scott Walker 13 times...

I live in a swing state, I only have to vote for my candidate in that swing state one time for it to really impact a national election!!!!

Back
Top Bottom