• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russians drove through radioactive Red Forest by Chernobyl with no radioactive gear on

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Russians drove through radioactive Red Forest by Chernobyl with no radioactive gear on

iu

Viewing the highly contaminated Red Forest using infrared film.

Russian soldiers driving near the Chernobyl nuclear disaster site did so without wearing any radioactive protection. The soldiers drove their armored vehicles through a highly toxic zone called the Red Forest, kicking up clouds of radioactive dust as they traveled, workers at the site said. One of the workers claimed driving through the area with no protection was "suicidal" because the radioactive dust they inhaled would likely cause internal damage in their bodies, according to Reuters. The Red Forest is the most radioactively contaminated part of the zone around Chernobyl, about 100 kilometers, or 65 miles, north of Kyiv. The two workers both said they saw Russian tanks and other armored vehicles moving through the toxic area. Russian troops invaded Slavutych, Ukraine, which is near the Chernobyl power plant and home to many of its workers, on early Saturday, seizing the town’s hospital and briefly kidnapping its mayor. They left on Monday after completing their task of surveying the defunct Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.

I visited the Chornobyl Exclusion Zone (EZ) twice while I lived in Ukraine. Each time I was accompanied by a local guide. You absolutely must carry a dosimeter with you at all times in the EZ. The Red Forest is well known to be a highly radioactive area. There are warning signs everywhere. I remember one time we were walkng in a seemingly safe wooded area and my guide held up a fist (STOP!) and pointed to the left. I looked that way and after a few seconds I saw something which appeared to be metal. My guide took out her handheld dosimeter and said to follow her. The metal object was a badly rusted scoop from an earth-moving machine. At a distance of about 30 yards the dosimeter told us that this metal object was highly radioactive and deadly. We quickly retreated. The scoop was apparently used in the 1986 battle to put out the fires at the destroyed Reactor Number 4. My guide was demonstrating that even in a pastoral setting you must always be on the alert in the EZ. And you can't just barrell through the Exclusion Zone and think you are protected simply because you are in a battle tank. That attitude is suicidal.

So... they poisoned themselves?

I'll take it, but that's odd. They have to have known.

I'm sure whatever old, vodka drinking fatass Russian Commander in charge said something along the lines of "It's fine! It's not radioactive here!"

To say the least.

I watched a documentary once that demonstrated that if a fire started in the Red Forest, the radioactivity emitted would be as bad the original explosion of the reactor.

To say the least.

I watched a documentary once that demonstrated that if a fire started in the Red Forest, the radioactivity emitted would be as bad the original explosion of the reactor.
Damn

So one lightning strike screws up everything?

At this point part of me is wondering whether they're actually trying to get their troops killed.

Nothing a little vodka won't cure.

At this point part of me is wondering whether they're actually trying to get their troops killed.

The thought did occur to me that that is one way to resist the invasion orders, but it seems like a pretty extreme one. They could surrender.

Potentially incapacitate/etc them with radiation poisoning? Kinda suicidal when you're going into combat, I'd think.

The thought did occur to me that that is one way to resist the invasion orders, but it seems like a pretty extreme one. They could surrender.

Potentially incapacitate/etc them with radiation poisoning? Kinda suicidal when you're going into combat, I'd think.
I was thinking there may be some degree of passive resistance to the invasion within the Russian military. With the stalled convoy stretching for miles and such. Nothing too extreme, just "forgetting" to tighten a few lug nuts, that sort of thing. Wouldn't take much.

I was thinking there may be some degree of passive resistance to the invasion within the Russian military. With the stalled convoy stretching for miles and such. Nothing too extreme, just "forgetting" to tighten a few lug nuts, that sort of thing. Wouldn't take much.
Or like one group of Russian troops did: run over your CO with a tank.

That's very dumb of them, are their maps from before 1986 I wonder.

Or like one group of Russian troops did: run over your CO with a tank.
I am not sure that qualifies as passive, unless one is passing over their commander. I support the troops in their decision to do this though.

iu

I visited the Chornobyl Exclusion Zone (EZ) twice while I lived in Ukraine. Each time I was accompanied by a local guide. You absolutely must carry a dosimeter with you at all times in the EZ. The Red Forest is well known to be a highly radioactive area. There are warning signs everywhere. I remember one time we were walkng in a seemingly safe wooded area and my guide held up a fist (STOP!) and pointed to the left. I looked that way and after a few seconds I saw something which appeared to be metal. My guide took out her handheld dosimeter and said to follow her. The metal object was a badly rusted scoop from an earth-moving machine. At a distance of about 30 yards the dosimeter told us that this metal object was highly radioactive and deadly. We quickly retreated. The scoop was apparently used in the 1986 battle to put out the fires at the destroyed Reactor Number 4. My guide was demonstrating that even in a pastoral setting you must always be on the alert in the EZ. And you can't just barrell through the Exclusion Zone and think you are protected simply because you are in a battle tank. That attitude is suicidal.
1648869057954.png

iu

It’s my understanding that traveling on foot is relatively safe for up to four hours.

Driving equipment stirs up the radioactive soil so it becomes far more dangerous…

That's very dumb of them, are their maps from before 1986 I wonder.
Pardon me @Rogue Valley This is the first and only Finnish poster I have seen...
This is a little off-topic, but years ago an Army friend of mine told me;
That the most deadly snippers in the world were the Finnish...
Because of his position I had no reason to doubt him...
What do you think about that @joluoto??? Thank you...

Pardon me @Rogue Valley This is the first and only Finnish poster I have seen...
This is a little off-topic, but years ago an Army friend of mine told me;
That the most deadly snippers in the world were the Finnish...
Because of his position I had no reason to doubt him...
What do you think about that @joluoto??? Thank you...
We had some deadly snipers in WW2 I guess. Simo Häyhä would be the famous one I guess.

We had some deadly snipers in WW2 I guess. Simo Häyhä would be the famous one I guess.
Thank you, the guy lived to be 97... I hope I make that number...
-Peace

The world’s deadliest sniper: Simo Häyhä​

With at least 505 confirmed kills during the Winter War of 1939–40 between Finland and the Soviet Union, Simo Häyhä (1905–2002) has been labeled the deadliest sniper in history. Here, Tapio Saarelainen shares the story of the Finnish sniper and how he achieved his nickname 'White Death'... He used a Finnish-produced M/28-30, a variant of the Mosin–Nagant rifle. Häyhä had also used a submachine gun, the Suomi KP/-31.
Simo Häyhä, said to be the deadliest sniper in history

Chernobyl employees say, Russian soldiers​

had no idea what the plant was and call their behavior ‘suicidal’​

Two of these employees have reportedly witnessed instances of rash and dangerous conduct by the Russians, according to Reuters, with one source calling their behavior “suicidal.” Some soldiers had reportedly never heard about the disaster that some historians believe signaled the beginning of the end for the Soviet Union.

Last edited:
My gut reaction to this is "oh, no" no matter who is making that mistake. Getting exposed to fatal levels of radiation is an awful thing.

Science works even when you don't believe it, or are too stupid to understand it.

Back
Top Bottom