• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian Soldiers Refuse To Fight as Morale Deteriorating, Ukraine Says

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Ukraine has said that disillusioned Russian troops are refusing to fight in the war. The claim by the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces comes amid numerous reports of low morale among Russian troops over the six weeks since the start of the conflict. Ukraine's military said on Thursday that some Russian units had been placed in tent towns on Russian territory bordering Ukraine and that "soldiers are refusing to participate in further combat in Ukraine." "The moral and psychological condition of the said personnel is low and tends to deteriorate," its daily update on Facebook said, according to a translation. It added that Russian forces were continuing to try to replenish their units. They were looking to enlist those who had been discharged from military service after 2012, with a focus on those with certain skills such as drivers, mechanics, and junior commanders. since the war began on February 24, there have been growing numbers of reports of a low mood among Russian troops and videos shared on social media of them angry at the way they had been sent into a theater of conflict plagued by fuel and food shortages.

The Pentagon has said that entire Russian units, some full of young conscripts, laid down their weapons rather than fight Ukraine's forces. Some Russian troops have surrendered en masse or even sabotaged their own vehicles. Last month, a video went viral of troops who said they were being sent from the Donbas region into the Sumy region in northeastern Ukraine with no clear plan from Moscow. A separate video from an undisclosed location showed a Russian soldier complaining that he and his colleagues have been abandoned as "cannon fodder" by their superiors. This week it was reported that at least 11 members of Russia's Rosgvardia National Guard from the Khakassia region of southern Siberia refused to participate in the war because as a force that protects public order, separate from the military, they argued they should not be sent to Ukraine. Russian-language news outlet New Focus said that the group was removed from a border camp and sent back to Khakassia, where the military leadership tried to dismiss them for their refusal to fight. The group's lawyer, Mikhail Benyash, told the Financial Times that "a lot of people don't want to go and fight" and that about 1,000 people had been in touch with him since the case became public.

A tour to Ukraine for already discharged former Russian conscript soldiers isn't very appealing at this time. Especially for drivers whose attrition rate (KIA) in Ukraine is very high.

Time for the Russian style of leadership by example. Have the officers shoot any soldier that refuses to fight. Helluva morale booster. Talk about a booster shot.

I want to believe that this is a trend. I fear that a there is a huge offensive about to start in the East and that it will be manned by mercenaries from Syria if Putin cannot scrape up enough Russians to throw at Ukraine (which I believe he can). I am very, very worried about the East. And I think when Mariupol is uncovered it will show carnage like that never seen anywhere before.

This is just more of the western media telling us what we want to hear. Four stories over and over: Bucha, Mariupol, Russian army is incompetent, and Ukrainian heroes.

There are many, many Russians ready to bomb Ukrainian cities on command, roll in, rape Ukrainian children, and steal blenders.

This is just more of the western media telling us what we want to hear. Four stories over and over: Bucha, Mariupol, Russian army is incompetent, and Ukrainian heroes.

If you have more informative articles, by all means post them here.

I spend most of my time on Twitter and Telegram or getting texts from Ukrainians in Ukraine.

I've heard enough from the U.S. media about this war.

I spend most of my time on Twitter and Telegram or getting texts from Ukrainians in Ukraine.

Then bypass my threads. Simple enough.

There are many, many Russians ready to bomb Ukrainian cities on command, roll in, rape Ukrainian children, and steal blenders.

I believe the true picture is as you have stated. And to state that is not to be pro Russian in anyway. My impression is that the initial grand campaign, dubbed "special military operation" by Putin, can be renamed Putin's Folly. Because of his success in the past pulling off missions in Georgia and Crimea he may have come to believe himself a Napoleon. It is very likely he set up a small cabinet of military officers and dictated to them the political goals he intended; and they probably drew him up the best plan that met with his designs. In the end the plan fell far short.

Usually what tends to happen after a debacle is that actual professional military are brought in to retrieve the mess politicians had made. The drastic retreat from Kiev suggests some professional had brutally pointed out that the forces in place fall short of the ambitions. Replacing the grand ambitions of February with the more limited, but realistic focus on the east.

Then bypass my threads. Simple enough.

Once you post your threads they are not yours anymore, in the sense that you cannot control what others do with them

Yeah, because we all know the good sources are people's tweets and texts you can't source or validate, while criticizing media with sources, pictures, interviews, etc

Yes, some is probably propaganda coming out of Ukraine for sure, but one thing that is certain is Russia are monsters and there is no legit reason for this war or any excuse for why Russia is doing it

Yeah, becuase we all know the good sources are people's tweets and texts you can't source or validate, while criticizing media with sources, pictures, interviews, etc

The sources are Ukrainian purporting to present the state of affairs in Russia. One has to factor in Ukrainian biases. I believe the gentleman is only pointing out that the picture may be a lot different.

You are just spewing Ukrainian propaganda all over the forum and throwing a tantrum if anyone sees through it.

Once you post your threads they are not yours anymore, in the sense that you cannot control what others do with them

But he can still try ;)

Last edited:
I want to believe that this is a trend. I fear that a there is a huge offensive about to start in the East and that it will be manned by mercenaries from Syria if Putin cannot scrape up enough Russians to throw at Ukraine (which I believe he can). I am very, very worried about the East. And I think when Mariupol is uncovered it will show carnage like that never seen anywhere before.

A lot of the fighters there are already Chechniyans who probably could care less about what happens to Russia or Ukraine.

iu

A tour to Ukraine for already discharged former Russian conscript soldiers isn't very appealing at this time. Especially for drivers whose attrition rate (KIA) in Ukraine is very high.

I find this hard to believe as Putin is at 80% popularity.
Take it with a grain of salt.

I have heard many Ukraines speak to the Russian soldiers being in a frenzy to find Nazis.
It may be all bullshit but they belive it and its a very worthy cause to them.

Sad that Ukraine is facing up to Russia?

Not at all, it's their right to.

Just undermining the latest propaganda nonsense from our resident Ukrainian propagandist, who will fight Putin with the blood of others until the last Ukrainian dies

The only thing I am sad about is that it has come to this because of the US use of Ukrainians as proxies. You should be sad about that too but you won't be, you will just deny it.

Just undermining the latest propaganda nonsense from our resident Ukrainian propagandist, who will fight Putin with the blood of others until the last Ukrainian dies

The only thing I am sad about is that it has come to this because of the US use of Ukrainians as proxies. You should be sad about that too but you won't be, you will just deny it.

How did your rather silly statement "undermine" his posts?

Oh, and PROXY....

EVERYONE DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More psychological projection and outright lies.

How did your rather silly statement "undermine" his posts?

Oh, and PROXY....

EVERYONE DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By citing that Ukrainain propagandists are already shown to be unreliable.

Yep ,proxies, quite a common occurance for the USA foreign policy gurus to employ

Russia is the one who invaded Ukraine. Not vice versa. How would the US "using Ukrainians as proxies" cause Russia to invade?

Back
Top Bottom