• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian soldiers increasingly arrested for refusing to fight

joluoto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Russian contract soldiers increasingly jailed in occupied Donbas

One problem here is that they end up jailed in the so called Lukhansk and Donetsk Republics. These Republics are not Russian territory, thus according to Russian laws, Russian soldiers who break Russian military rules can't legally be held there (if they were run by the Russian military they could, but these facilities are run by the "militiaries" of the separatist republics). Also there has been no trials, any soldier has the right to a military trial. There are also rumors that the detainees are mistreated by the staff, which is not too surprising, but still illegal under Russian law.

One problem here is that they end up jailed in the so called Lukhansk and Donetsk Republics. These Republics are not Russian territory, thus according to Russian laws, Russian soldiers who break Russian military rules can't legally be held there (if they were run by the Russian military they could, but these facilities are run by the "militiaries" of the separatist republics). Also there has been no trials, any soldier has the right to a military trial. There are also rumors that the detainees are mistreated by the staff, which is not too surprising, but still illegal under Russian law.
“Russian law”

I think this is what is known as an oxymoron, (dumb beast of burden,) along the lines of the Russian Constitution.

🤷

A lot of times in wars involving foreign invasions, some of the worst atrocities are committed in these legal dead zones. As an example, Nazi Germany committed many of its worst atrocities outside of Germany proper, where they wouldn't violate Germany law and the common standards of decency.

The Russians have already shown a complete disregard for human rights in shelling cities indiscriminately and I've little doubt that they will make examples of some of these soldiers.

But that's only going to go so far. They will still have deserters; they're just going to make sure that when they desert, Russian commanders can't capture them. This is what happened when Iraqis gave themselves up in the Gulf Wars. It happens in other wars as well. The will to fight is a very real thing, and individuals will defy their commanders if it becomes obvious that what they've been told is horse shit.

Putin himself needs to go to the front to inspire his unwilling conscript troops to a swift and decisive offensive and finally win the war.

Czar Nicholas III could be his model given Nicko went to the eastern front during WW I to take personal command.

Which resulted in mass desertions throughout the Czar's armies given the undersupplied and exposed Czar's Army saw firsthand their third Nicholas was a numbnuts moron dilletante, same as Putin is the Afghanistan 2.0 total duderhead muckup. If this war were a chessboard Putin would be face down on it.

this comes from the ukrainian government, so obviously my question will be, how much has this happened among ukraine forces?

this comes from the ukrainian government, so obviously my question will be, how much has this happened among ukraine forces?

I would say not many Ukrainian deserters, since this war is an existential one for Ukraine.

No, this comes from Russian civil rights and humanitarian organizations, not the Ukrainian government.

Punishing poor kids who don't want to die for their mentally ill President, his bloated ego and his Gremlin buddies.

You are messing up the script with such unpleasant questions. Units of battered, complaining Ukrainian units in the Donbass have made complaints on video, which they have posted on social media. So they are there. But it messes up with the script of all Ukrainians against Russians

Putin himself needs to go to the front to inspire his unwilling conscript troops to a swift and decisive offensive and finally win the war.

Czar Nicholas III could be his model given Nicko went to the eastern front during WW I to take personal command.

Which resulted in mass desertions throughout the Czar's armies given the undersupplied and exposed Czar's Army saw firsthand their third Nicholas was a numbnuts moron dilletante, same as Putin is the Afghanistan 2.0 total duderhead muckup. If this war were a chessboard Putin would be face down on it.

Never underestimate the innate human desire to save one's own ass, particularly when they saw who's ordering them to die and for what meaningless causes.

You are messing up the script with such unpleasant questions. Units of battered, complaining Ukrainian units in the Donbass have made complaints on video, which they have posted on social media. So they are there. But it messes up with the script of all Ukrainians against Russians
Like there are jailhouse lawyer inmates so too there are pfc battlefield generals.

Russian grunts do have a gripe though given their generals are constantly meeting to plan the next disaster of troops KIA/WIA/MIA. No doubt Ukraine fighters have some things to gripe about too given how Russians for instance bought off some intelligence officers in the South who helped 'em seize it.

In WW I much of the French Army rebelled in the trenches against their nincompoop generals. Putin's been on thin ice for quite a while now while he's trying to blame it on the summer heat. I doubt I'd lose any money saying Russian soldiers aren't saying if the czar only knew. Cause everybody knows this disaster with the Russian Army is totally Putin's shitshow.

Back
Top Bottom