• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian Oligarch Warns Putin Will Invade NATO Territory

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a self-exiled Russian oligarch and a prominent critic of the Kremlin, said in a Thursday interview that Russian President Vladimir Putin will eventually wage war in NATO territory if the coalition doesn't help Ukraine win in the current conflict. Khodorkovsky made the warning during an interview with Euronews, a television network headquartered in France. He called on NATO to continue providing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky with weapons and supplies to fight Russia's military, which began its invasion in late February. Khodorkovsky told Shona Murray of Euronews, "Today, NATO has a great opportunity to help Ukraine defend its sovereignty by participating in this war with weapons, supplies and training Ukrainian soldiers, rather than fighting on its own territories. "If this opportunity is missed, I issue a warning: In a few years, or perhaps even earlier, NATO will be directly involved in this war, because it will be happening on the territory of a NATO country."

When Murray asked Khodorkovsky if he feels NATO should become directly involved in Ukraine, he answered that the alliance must do all it can to ensure that Putin doesn't prevail. "Those who believe you can somehow reach agreement with an aggressor are repeating the mistakes of their many predecessors," he said. Khodorkovsky also said he doesn't believe the sanctions imposed on Russia have had a large impact. He said that while sanctions "can weaken the regime so this aggression doesn't get reproduced for some time," the issues between Russia and Ukraine are "being resolved on the battlefield." Khodorkovsky further added that the weapons and supplies that NATO has been sending to Ukraine are insufficient in comparison to the considerable amount of weapons in Putin's arsenal. "If NATO wants it to be resolved on the territory of Ukraine, then, of course, it needs to provide much more systematic support," he said.

Khodorkovsky was once the richest man in Russia until he began to openly criticize Putin. He was arrested and found guilty in 2005 of tax evasion and sentenced to nine years in prison.

Putin pardoned Khodorkovsky and freed him in late 2013 and he fled Russia. He lives in London and in 2014 founded 'Open Russia' to promote several reforms to Russian civil society.

iu

Khodorkovsky was once the richest man in Russia until he began to openly criticize Putin. He was arrested and found guilty in 2005 of tax evasion and sentenced to nine years in prison.

Putin pardoned Khodorkovsky and freed him in late 2013 and he fled Russia. He lives in London and in 2014 founded 'Open Russia' to promote several reforms to Russian civil society.

In other words, exile wants the US to get directly involved because he hates the dictator.

Didn’t we learn this lesson with what happened in Iraq?

In other words, exile wants the US to get directly involved because he hates the dictator. Didn’t we learn this lesson with what happened in Iraq?

That not what I took from Khodorkovsky. But then again I'm not a Kremlin tool like you.

That not what I took from Khodorkovsky. But then again I'm not a Kremlin tool like you.

Gee, I’m sure you didn’t.

Which doesn’t change the fact exiles with a vested interest in seeing the local dictator overthrown fearmongering has had disastrous results not too long ago.

But America doesn’t learn.

iu

If this happens the way NATO responds and the way the U.S. chooses to respond will be critical. According the the NATO agreement by members, NATO will be bound to respond. I suggest that Biden will fight against that.

If this happens the way NATO responds and the way the U.S. chooses to respond will be critical. According the the NATO agreement by members, NATO will be bound to respond. {B}I suggest that Biden will fight against that.[/B}

NATO's key provision is Article 5: “The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all."

NATO responded when the US invoked Article 5 after 9/11. Even Ukraine sent military assets to Afghanistan.

Back
Top Bottom