• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian Officials Propose Overthrowing Putin, Charging Him With Treason

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is only a municipal district but the open challenge to Putin might just be the start of something.

A group of Russian officials has appealed to the country's State Duma to remove President Vladimir Putin from power on the charge of high treason, a document shared by one of the Russian deputies who co-signed the proposal reveals.

In a tweet published on Wednesday by Nikita Yurefev, a municipal deputy for Smolninskoe in St. Petersburg, the official wrote that the Council of the Smolninskoye Municipal District "sent a proposal to the State Duma demanding to remove Putin from office based on the charges of high treason."
Link

So weird that all of them fell out of windows all at once oh noooo what a tragedy
Or off bridges. He should definitely avoid tea.

The only thing that scares me about Putin's demise is what replaces him.

I've heard his likely successor is as bad. But if Russians are unhappy with Putin's approach whoever takes over might be a little more circumspect about "Special Military Operations" and focus more on the economy.

I've heard his likely successor is as bad. But if Russians are unhappy with Putin's approach whoever takes over might be a little more circumspect about "Special Military Operations" and focus more on the economy.
They need a forward thinker and not an old USSR lover of the days gone by.

They need a forward thinker and not an old USSR lover of the days gone by.
...which is primarily what you have in Putin.... Now, I get the idea that the enemy you know is often better than the enemy you do not, I don't see much redeeming qualities in Putin as "the enemy you know". A replacement will likely be an upgrade. Meanwhile, as the USSR was in decline starting in the mid-70s' it is pretty unlikely that a replacement would have fond memories of the old USSR. More likely (but hardly guaranteed), if a leader emerged that was 65 years old or less, he would think of the potential of Russia ala glasnost and an emerging democracy that was being ushered in during the 1990s, when Russia was reaching out to be a part of Europe.

Maybe we could execute a prisoner exchange .... swap our treasonous deposed leader for theirs ... getting them both off the books. ;)

CIA Director Bill Burns has some thoughts about Putin's legacy.

A top U.S. intelligence official says it looks like the invasion of Ukraine could become one of Russian President Vladimir Putin's most significant and enduring blunders.

"It's hard to see the record of the war — Putin's record — as anything other than a failure, so far," Central Intelligence Agency Director William Burns told a cybersecurity conference in Washington on Thursday.

"Russia is going to pay a very heavy price," Burns said. "Not only has the weakness of the Russian military been exposed, but there is going to be long-term damage done to the Russian economy and to generations of Russians as a result of this."
Link

Although certainly Russia's nuclear arsenal poses a serious threat, their conventional forces are becoming a laughing-stock.

This is only a municipal district but the open challenge to Putin might just be the start of something.

Link
They need to stop talking about it and DO IT!

So weird that all of them fell out of windows all at once oh noooo what a tragedy
I would be having a taste tester for the rest of my life

That is always a concern ala North Korea or any country in South America

I would be having a taste tester for the rest of my life

Poisoning is so 2 weeks ago in Russia. 10th story windows are the new Novichok.

Back
Top Bottom