• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian invasion aimed at ‘decapitating’ Ukraine government, U.S. official says

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Moscow’s ultimate goal in invading Ukraine is “decapitating the government” and installing a Russian-backed government in Kyiv, a senior U.S. Defense Department official said Thursday. In a multi-pronged assault that began just before dawn, Russian forces launched over 100 ballistic missiles at targets, including airfields and ammunition depots, across the country. Ground forces and aircraft have also breached Ukraine’s borders from the east near the city of Kharkiv, the south around Odessa, and the north from Belarus, an assault that included airstrikes and helicopter assaults. In response, NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg on Thursday gave the authority for U.S. Gen. Tod Wolters, NATO’s Supreme Allied Commander Europe, to call up the 40,000-strong NATO Response Force. In a speech in Brussels, Stoltenberg said the alliance had “decided to activate our defense plans, at the request of our top military commander, General Tod Wolters,” which would “enable us to deploy capabilities and forces, including the NATO Response Force, to where they are needed.”

Social media has been flooded since the early morning hours with videos of burning tanks and armored vehicles from both sides, as well as casualties and captured troops. The Ukrainian government has claimed to have shot down seven Russian aircraft, along with a number of helicopters. The Pentagon’s early assessment is that the Russian operation is still in its early stages, and not all Russian troops arrayed around Ukraine’s borders have moved in. The official, who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a fluid situation, didn’t cut corners when laying out the larger picture. “We haven’t seen a conventional move like this, nation state to nation state, since World War II, certainly nothing on this size and scope and scale,” they said. It’s not clear if, or how, Western powers might be able to continue to supply military or humanitarian assistance to Ukraine, given the fighting around the Kyiv airport, and the heavy damage taken at other regional airstrips. The Ukrainian port at Odessa has also come under attack, potentially holding the Ukrainian navy in place, and the Russian overland assault from Belarus could effectively seal off the western part of the country, making land routes dangerous. The official said the U.S. is looking “to continue to find ways to provide them both lethal and non lethal assistance,” but admitted that “some of the methods [that you do] are going to have to change now.”

Conventional force-wise, this is akin to most of the the US military invading Mexico by land/sea/air with minimal ROE and no worries about war crime trials. "nolo contendere"

I wonder if the Zelenskyy government has remained in Kyiv, or has opted to set up a government in exile in Poland or Lithuania.

As far as smuggling lethal weapons into Ukraine, I would highly recommend Transcarpathian Ukraine in southwestern Zakarpattia Oblast.

Also doable are the fields and tree copse in western Ukraine on the border with Poland. Javelins, Stingers, and Semtex/C-4.

I wonder if the Zelenskyy government has remained in Kyiv, or has opted to set up a government in exile in Poland or Lithuania.
I believe he made a statement that he was going to stay, despite US officials suggesting he leave. I will try and find a source.

Conventional force-wise, this is akin to most of the the US military invading Mexico by land/sea/air with minimal ROE and no worries about war crime trials. "nolo contendere"

As far as smuggling lethal weapons into Ukraine, I would highly recommend Transcarpathian Ukraine in southwestern Zakarpattia Oblast.

Also doable are the fields and tree copse in western Ukraine on the border with Poland. Javelins, Stingers, and Semtex/C-4.

In one of the posts about the history of the language of Ukraine someone claimed that Slovak went into the mix that became Ukrainian. I have no idea if that is true and it is irrelevant to why I am posting. But when I read that, I immediately thought, "That's not true". Since I really had no idea if it was true, I looked up Slovaks in Ukraine, finding a fascinating (to me) website about minorities in Ukraine. I wouldn't have posted it in this thread, except that you mentioned Zakarpattia. Zakarpattia happens to be the place where, according to the website I visited, Slovak people who migrated to Ukraine settled.

Now I hear that refugees from Ukraine are lined up at the border with Slovakia. It is close.

Russian forces have captured the Chornobyl nuclear power facility which is about 75mi north of Kyiv..

There was a massive battle at the Hostomel Airport 15mi from Kyiv. Ukraine reports the Russian helicopter assault force was destroyed.

10,000 automatic rifles have been handed out to civilians in Kyiv in the last few hours.

Near the city of Kharkiv, Russian tanks were shooting at civilian cars killing many civilians. Ukraine forces blew up a bridge over river Oskol in the town of Senkovo, to prevent Russia from putting the full encirclement of Kharkiv in place.

1,234 Russians have been detained across Russia for holding anti-war protests. Somebody spray-painted the words "NO TO WAR" on the front gate of the State Duma, the lower house of Russia's Parliament.

I believe he made a statement that he was going to stay, despite US officials suggesting he leave. I will try and find a source.
That's damn foolish of him (staying, that is). He needs to move to the Western border area of the country away from the current shitshow and maintain a working gov't in the event Kiev is lost.

Near the city of Kharkiv, Russian tanks were shooting at civilian cars killing many civilians.
But pooty says that it's Ukraine committing the genocide :rolleyes:

There was a massive battle at the Hostomel Airport 15mi from Kyiv. Ukraine reports the Russian helicopter assault force was destroyed.
Awesome sauce! Good to hear the Ukranians are putting some points on the board!

Russian forces have captured the Chornobyl nuclear power facility which is about 75mi north of Kyiv..
I hope Ivan has his lead-lined cup on.

That's how you do it in war. Attempt to chop the head off.

No decent person should support Putin.

Fancy Russia wanting to undo 8 years of the US fomenting death and destruction in the new Republics .

The US went for one of its 'color' revolutions in 2014 and now they are paying the price .

But just listen to them squealing when the tables are turned .

That's damn foolish of him (staying, that is). He needs to move to the Western border area of the country away from the current shitshow and maintain a working gov't in the event Kiev is lost.
I have no idea what his actual location is. All I know is he wanted to stay in the country. I agree your plan is the most sensible.

Fancy Russia wanting to undo 8 years of the US fomenting death and destruction in the new Republics .

The US went for one of its 'color' revolutions in 2014 and now they are paying the price .

But just listen to them squealing when the tables are turned .

WTF are you babbling about?

Back
Top Bottom