• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian Atrocities and Response

donhughesmusic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We have been seeing videos more and more of dead civilians, mothers finding their dead kids, Russian military possibly executing civilians, etc...

At one point my wife asked rhetorically why we were not in there. When I mentioned the nuclear war argument her words were; "So their lives don't mean as much? Wow."

So I guess the question is:

At what point morally do we say as a country; "Enough is enough, we need to ACTUALLY help these people and not just sanction rich Russians?

Let's be frank.

Except for 9/11, Americans have never been attacked in their country by a foreign adversary.

Right this minute, 330,000,000 or more people in this nation are working or eating or traveling or enjoying romance, etc.

Can you possibly imagine what would happen if the Russians lobbed a nuclear weapon into the US?

Oh, sure, the US would turn Russia into the proverbial parking lot.

But life for millions of Americans would be a nightmare: many deaths, many homeless, many starving, crime on steroids as bad Americans take advantage of the chaos, no more telephonic communication, no more electricity, etc. In other words, we would be living in H*ll.

So if it comes down to either Ukraine or the U.S., then the answer is obvious.

Last edited:
We have been seeing videos more and more of dead civilians, mothers finding their dead kids, Russian military possibly executing civilians, etc...

At one point my wife asked rhetorically why we were not in there. When I mentioned the nuclear war argument her words were; "So their lives don't mean as much? Wow."

At what point morally do we say as a country; "Enough is enough, we need to ACTUALLY help these people and not just sanction rich Russians?

There’s nothing “moral” about starting a global thermonuclear war.

The constant drumbeat for war is as disturbing as ever.

You were right to mention nuclear war as a reason for not sending in NATO troops.

Doing so could give Putin an excuse to use nuclear weapons. Obviously, that would end in disaster for millions of people.

We ARE helping these people. We are sending humanitarian aid, boatloads of defensive weapons, including 155mm howitzers and 40,000 artillery rounds, 200 M113 APCs, 11 Mi-17 helicopters, and 100 armored multi-purpose vehicles. In addendum, it also includes 10 AN/TPQ-3G counter-artillery radars, two AN/MPQ-64 Sentinel air surveillance radars, 300 Switchblade drones, and 500 Javelin anti-armor missiles, unmanned coastal defense vessels, chemical, biological, and nuclear protective equipment, 30,000 sets of body armor and helmets, C-4 explosives and M18A1 Claymore anti-personnel mines.

And yesterday Biden approved an additional $800M in military and security aid to Ukraine.

The US is helping more than any other country on the planet. . . BY FAR. Rest easy.

You were right to mention nuclear war as a reason for not sending in NATO troops.

Doing so could give Putin an excuse to use nuclear weapons. Obviously, that would end in disaster for millions of people.

We ARE helping these people. We are sending humanitarian aid, boatloads of defensive weapons, including 155mm howitzers and 40,000 artillery rounds, 200 M113 APCs, 11 Mi-17 helicopters, and 100 armored multi-purpose vehicles. In addendum, it also includes 10 AN/TPQ-3G counter-artillery radars, two AN/MPQ-64 Sentinel air surveillance radars, 300 Switchblade drones, and 500 Javelin anti-armor missiles, unmanned coastal defense vessels, chemical, biological, and nuclear protective equipment, 30,000 sets of body armor and helmets, C-4 explosives and M18A1 Claymore anti-personnel mines.

And yesterday Biden approved an additional $800M in military and security aid to Ukraine.

The US is helping more than any other country on the planet. . . BY FAR. Rest easy.
Yeah, rest easy, sure... tell that to this woman...

Guess our sanctions money weapons didn't help her and the many others.

How would that woman be doing if all life were ended in a nuclear war? One of the dangers of nuclear weapons, is the desire to forget the danger they pose in the name of stopping atrocities like Russia's. That's why what we need to do is eliminate nuclear weapons. Until we do, horrors like Ukraine are the price paid for our keeping nuclear weapons around.

How would that woman be doing if all life were ended in a nuclear war? One of the dangers of nuclear weapons, is the desire to forget the danger they pose in the name of stopping atrocities like Russia's. That's why what we need to do is eliminate nuclear weapons. Until we do, horrors like Ukraine are the price paid for our keeping nuclear weapons around.
If there is a nuclear war, I'm shooting myself in the temple, there is already no hope. Frankly, if my family was killed in a conventional war and I was the only one alive, strap a bomb to me and drop me in the biggest enemy cluster you can find. That is her son. She does not deserve what she is going through, and I bet she does not give a **** right now about nuclear war when her entire world was found dead in a well.

As far as eliminating nuclear weapons, the knowledge is already out there. Its pretty tough to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Last edited:
If there is a nuclear war, I'm shooting myself in the temple, there is already no hope. Frankly, if my family was killed in a conventional war and I was the only one alive, strap a bomb to me and drop me in the biggest enemy cluster you can find. That is her son. She does not deserve what she is going through, and I bet she does not give a **** right now about nuclear war when her entire world was found dead in a well.

That's exactly why shy should not decide whether to risk a nuclear war.

As far as eliminating nuclear weapons, the knowledge is already out there. Its pretty tough to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

The knowledge is. Actually making them can be detected.

Why did they keep pulling her away? That was her son. You wouldn't have peeled me off him, that's for sure.

RIP, young man.

Their lives do not mean as much as my family's lives.

Sorry about that.

Their lives do not mean as much as my family's lives.

Sorry about that.

Plus, there’s the fact that, you know, a global thermonuclear exchange would likely see at least a couple dozen major Ukrainian cities get obliterated as well......

Let's be frank.

Except for 9/11, Americans have never been attacked in their country by a foreign adversary.

Right this minute, 330,000,000 or more people in this nation are working or eating or traveling or enjoying romance, etc.

Can you possibly imagine what would happen if the Russians lobbed a nuclear weapon into the US?

Oh, sure, the US would turn Russia into the proverbial parking lot.

But life for millions of Americans would be a nightmare: many deaths, many homeless, many starving, crime on steroids as bad Americans take advantage of the chaos, no more telephonic communication, no more electricity, etc. In other words, we would be living in H*ll.

So if it comes down to either Ukraine or the U.S., then the answer is obvious.
Actually that is not correct. The Japanese took over an American island belonging to Alaska during WWII. They held it for over a year. I forgot to mention Hawaii.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom