• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia will be a 'pariah state in the eyes of many people forever' and there'll be no 'starting over' while Putin is still in charge, expert says

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Russia will be a 'pariah state in the eyes of many people forever' and there'll be no 'starting over' while Putin is still in charge, expert says

iu

Russian President Vladimir Putin is facing increasing animosity both abroad and at home as the second month of his unprovoked war in Ukraine comes to a close. Amid ongoing strategy failures, mounting military losses, and the dire economic consequences of Western sanctions, Russia's future looks bleak, and it's almost entirely Putin's fault, experts told Insider. "It's suicidally bad what he's doing to his country, its economy, and its standing in the world," said Robert English, a professor at the University of Southern California who studies Russia, the Soviet Union, and Eastern Europe. The longtime Russian president's decisions on the Ukraine invasion face rising scrutiny as a small but growing number of Kremlin insiders have started to express doubts about the war. Ten sources with direct knowledge of the conflict conveyed their concerns to Bloomberg this month, saying they regard the invasion as a catastrophic mistake that will set the country back decades. According to Robert English, they have good reason to do so. The expert said Putin's foray into Ukraine has already proven more costly for Russia than the Soviet Union's nearly ten-year conflict in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Ordinary Russians are beginning to feel the economic pinch of tough Western sanctions. Putin, himself, has acknowledged that sanctions have started to upset the country's energy industry, but publicly claimed that Russia's economy has not been undermined as a result. The head of Russia's central bank, however, warned that the full impact of sanctions has not yet been felt, and Moscow's mayor said this week 200,000 residents could lose their jobs as Western companies continue to pull out of the country en masse. "He's set the country back economically," English said. "It's losing all of its important trade ties and its resource customers in the West." English said the damage to Russia's international and domestic standing has already been done. "Russia will be a pariah state in the eyes of many people forever, but at least for a decade to come," he said. "Until Putin goes, there'll be no sense of cleansing and starting over."

The stains and stink from the Ukraine invasion and the subsequent atrocities and crimes against humanity will stick to Russia for generations.

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

The stains and stink from the Ukraine invasion and the subsequent atrocities and crimes against humanity will stick to Russia for generations.

They’ll be a pariah in the West.

The rest of the world— India, South Africa, China, to name a few examples— doesn’t much care.

The idea that it’ll “stick to Russia for generations” is amusing given that America’s already been “forgiven”(outside a lot of the Third World, but hey, who cares about them 🙄😂) for Iraq and incidents like Haditha which occurred there.

Juin

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

The rest of the world— India, South Africa, China, to name a few examples— doesn’t much care.

The idea that it’ll “stick to Russia for generations” is amusing given that America’s already been “forgiven”(outside a lot of the Third World, but hey, who cares about them 🙄😂) for Iraq and incidents like Haditha which occurred there.

I am surprised Russia is still standing. The economy was supposed to have collapsed by now; anti war protests was supposed to have engulfed Russian cities; and irate oligarchs overthrown Putin.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I agree China doesn't care. Beijing's treatment of its Uyghur population is also a crime against humanity.

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I agree China doesn't care. Beijing's treatment of its Uyghur population is also a crime against humanity.

What’s going on in Xinjiang is actual, outright genocide though.

911Sparky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I am surprised Russia is still standing. The economy was supposed to have collapsed by now; anti war protests was supposed to have engulfed Russian cities; and irate oligarchs overthrown Putin.
Putin said a few days ago that the sanctions were having little effect on Russia, which tells me their economy is being devastated, else why mention it?
I posted when the sanctions were imposed it would take weeks to 2 months before they were seriously felt. It will take longer before it gets to the point
where Putin can't afford to pay his troops, but that day is coming. The main question is whether Ukraine can hold out long enough for that day to arrive.

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Putin said a few days ago that the sanctions were having little effect on Russia, which tells me their economy is being devastated, else why mention it?
I posted when the sanctions were imposed it would take weeks to 2 months before they were seriously felt. It will take longer before it gets to the point
where Putin can't afford to pay his troops, but that day is coming. The main question is whether Ukraine can hold out long enough for that day to arrive.

Gee, did that happen in North Korea? In Cuba? In Iran? Iran fought a war for eight years while being a true global pariah, and with the US providing boatloads of help to their enemies.

This delusion that sanctions are going to topple Putin is just that. Sanctions are better than war, but they aren’t a fast or efficient way of conducting regime change.

Juin

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

The effects of sanctions on Russia can be established independent of what Putin says.

It's not that Russia cannot crumble. What western "experts" have to spare us are wishful predictions that don't pan out. Mind you the sanctions were not sold as tools that can potentially cripple Russia in the long run. They were sold as the magic bullet that takes down Putin. Kick Russia off SWIFT. Rouble crumbles into rubbish. There is a run on Russian banks. Russian economy craters. Oligarchs turn on Putin.

None of that is panning out.

911Sparky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The effects of sanctions on Russia can be established independent of what Putin says.

It's not that Russia cannot crumble. What western "experts" have to spare us are wishful predictions that don't pan out. Mind you the sanctions were not sold as tools that can potentially cripple Russia in the long run. They were sold as the magic bullet that takes down Putin. Kick Russia off SWIFT. Rouble crumbles into rubbish. There is a run on Russian banks. Russian economy craters. Oligarchs turn on Putin.

None of that is panning out.
I watched Morning Joe today, they broke the news that 2 of Putin's oligarchs had committed "suicide" and killed their entire families before doing so.
One was head of a major bank, I forget the others job. One shot his entire family and then himself, the other hacked up his family with an axe, then hung himself. I guess there were no guns in his home, and no high balconies to fall from.

Juin

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I watched Morning Joe today, they broke the news that 2 of Putin's oligarchs had committed "suicide" and killed their entire families before doing so.
One was head of a major bank, I forget the others job. One shot his entire family and then himself, the other hacked up his family with an axe, then hung himself. I guess there were no guns in his home, and no high balconies to fall from.

And that is because of the sanctions, of course:) There are heaps of stories like that. Another had to do with Russian Defense Minister Shoigu. I cannot recall again what he was supposed to have collapsed from

Jkca1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Expert? What the heck is that idiot talking about? A day after the war is over countries will be doing business with Russia again and many have not stopped.

FYI Russia is rich in minerals and natural gas;

"Russia is blessed with some of the world’s richest deposits of platinum, nickel, gold, chromium, oil, coal, diamonds, and many other resources. Russia also has extremely varied and exotic geology because of its size. It seems like this nation may very well have the highest mineralogical diversity of any nation. Over 100 different minerals both common and rare have been discovered in Russia." https://russianmineralsforsale.com/russian-minerals/

Second;

"Food commodity exports are now worth more to Russia than its arms shipments, earning the country some $25 billion in 2019. Russian fields produce 10-13% of the world’s total grain exports and 20-23% of global wheat exports" https://www.arc2020.eu/russia-where-is-agriculture-going/

Exquisitor

Educator
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
That day won't come as long as Putin has a billion dollars a day in oil revenue.

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Expert? What the heck is that idiot talking about? A day after the war is over countries will be doing business with Russia again and many have not stopped.

FYI Russia is rich in minerals and natural gas;

"Russia is blessed with some of the world’s richest deposits of platinum, nickel, gold, chromium, oil, coal, diamonds, and many other resources. Russia also has extremely varied and exotic geology because of its size. It seems like this nation may very well have the highest mineralogical diversity of any nation. Over 100 different minerals both common and rare have been discovered in Russia." https://russianmineralsforsale.com/russian-minerals/

Second;

"Food commodity exports are now worth more to Russia than its arms shipments, earning the country some $25 billion in 2019. Russian fields produce 10-13% of the world’s total grain exports and 20-23% of global wheat exports" https://www.arc2020.eu/russia-where-is-agriculture-going/

Putin’s War Threatens Microchips, Teeth, and Beer​

Russia’s invasion has torn asunder oil and agricultural markets. But there’s lots more economic carnage on the way.​

“There’s a semiconductor supply crunch, the cost of tooth fillings is spiking in Japan, sofas in Britain are becoming pricier, and American breweries are scrambling to find enough aluminum cans for their beer. All these economic headaches can be traced back to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine.

The war in Ukraine has sent shockwaves across global commodities markets as many of Ukraine’s most vital exports grind to a halt under Putin’s war machine and new waves of international sanctions begin shutting off Russian industries from the global markets. Western policymakers are spending the bulk of their time trying to fight rising energy prices and figure out how to wean off Russian oil and gas, not to mention feed the millions of people who relied on Russian and Ukrainian grain.

But other industries are trying to weather their own supply shocks caused by the war. Russia, and to a lesser extent Ukraine, are something like global superstores, playing key roles in the global production, manufacturing, or export of such vital commodities as neon, palladium, nickel, wood, ammonium nitrate, and aluminum.

. Beyond higher prices at the gas pumps and economic pressure from inflation, the knock-on effects of Putin’s invasion are beginning to trickle into new and unsuspecting corners of the global supply chain in ways that show the economic reverberations from the war in Ukraine are far from over.”

Roadvirus

Heading North
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Top Bottom