• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia Translates Fox into Russian for Viewers, Censors New York Times

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
We all know that all news reports are biased in some way. What's important is to understand the way in which a news source is biased.
Russia is making that really easy for us nowadays. Here's what they are censoring:

I see the NYTimes is included, to their everlasting credit.

Meanwhile, Russian state TV is translating Fox News into Russian for its viewers.

Which one do you get your news from?

Not Twitter, that's for sure.
That's like saying, "not tv," or "not newspapers."

The question is whose tweets you read, not the platform itself.

Meanwhile:
Facebook on Friday became the first American tech giant to be blocked by the Russian government, as part of the Kremlin’s broadening campaign to tighten control of the internet and limit spaces for dissent about the war in Ukraine.​

Last edited:

Uhhh.... not it's not.

If you're going to draw comparisons, you're better off comparing Twitter with DP - at least as far as the type of platform it is (i.e. a message board). And fwiw, I don't get my news from here either - for what I hope are patently obvious reasons.

We all know that all news reports are biased in some way. What's important is to understand the way in which a news source is biased.
Russia is making that really easy for us nowadays. Here's what they are censoring:

Meanwhile, Russian state TV is translating Fox News into Russian for its viewers.

Don't we have some sort of satellite interference signal we could blast into Russia and cut their TV services off? They are literally lying to their citizens. And have just passed a new law that anyone who spreads 'Fake News' will be imprisoned for 25 years.

I want all the Trumpers to think about that real hard. What was one of Trumps big dreams? He wanted to punish news outlets that he didn't like. He wanted to jail political opponents.

You cult members best be careful what you wish for. Living in a country like Russia is not really what you want.

That's one way to look at it.
But we can also HONESTLY say that it could be because more people watch FOX than do CNN & NBC combined!
There was a post on DP that said even more US DEM's watch FOX....

Did you see why Nick Sandmann sued CNN&NBC ?..... That's a reason not to trust those propaganda outlets.

Uhhh.... not it's not.

If you're going to draw comparisons, you're better off comparing Twitter with DP - at least as far as the type of platform it is (i.e. a message board). And fwiw, I don't get my news from here either - for what I hope are patently obvious reasons.
Uh...it is. With Twitter, just like on most news sources, it's up to you to decide who to believe. The Tweet I shared was forwarded by Anne Applebaum, a journalist, historian and author with terrific credentials. She writes for the Atlantic, which I subscribe to. I read her recent book, Twighlight of Democracy. Her book Red Famine; Stalin's War on Ukraine is on my read list. She's American. Her husband is Polish. He served as the Polish Defense Minister and Foreign Minister. So, when she posts something on Twitter, I pay attention. It's up to you if you choose to.

That's far more than I know about any of the posters here at DP.

Twitter is a free-for-all, and if you only believe tweets that support your pre-existing ideology regardless of the source, then you can use Twitter to get a lot stupider. As many do.
Or you can audit who you follow on Twitter and end up with a source of excellent information.

Unfortunately, many lack the education, wisdom, and inclination to follow people with intellectual integrity.

Don't we have some sort of satellite interference signal we could blast into Russia and cut their TV services off? They are literally lying to their citizens. And have just passed a new law that anyone who spreads 'Fake News' will be imprisoned for 25 years.

I want all the Trumpers to think about that real hard. What was one of Trumps big dreams? He wanted to punish news outlets that he didn't like. He wanted to jail political opponents.

You cult members best be careful what you wish for. Living in a country like Russia is not really what you want.
Yes, authoritarians loath a free press. It's no coincidence that Trump and conservatives generally berate the free press every day.

Here's a blast from the past:

BBC Brings Back Shortwave Radio Broadcasts in Russia​

The move comes as Russia restricts access to the BBC's websites.​

But we can also HONESTLY say that it could be because more people watch FOX than do CNN & NBC combined!

Did you see why Nick Sandmann sued CNN&NBC ?..... That's a reason not to trust those propaganda outlets.
Maybe you didn't read my OP.

You seem to be saying that the Russians would translate CNN and NBC into Russian for their viewers if more Americans watched it. The fact that Fox is pro-Putin and non-Trump channels aren't is immaterial, according to you. I mean, that's what the logic of your response is. What am I missing?

One more thing. The New York Times isn't a TV show.

**** Fox "News." Helping out Russia's cause. (n)

Maybe you didn't read my OP.

You seem to be saying that the Russians would translate CNN and NBC into Russian for their viewers if more Americans watched it. The fact that Fox is pro-Putin and non-Trump channels aren't is immaterial, according to you. I mean, that's what the logic of your response is. What am I missing?

One more thing. The New York Times isn't a TV show.
Not really, more that CNN&NBC are so blatantly fake that why would anyone want to sight it.... That's all.

It's nice that you read.

It's sad that you are fooled by propaganda.

Meanwhile:
Facebook on Friday became the first American tech giant to be blocked by the Russian government, as part of the Kremlin’s broadening campaign to tighten control of the internet and limit spaces for dissent about the war in Ukraine.​
Twitter is still a complete waste of time
Like Facebook and Instagram
Low IQ, high bullshit sources reeking of garbage

RDon't we have some sort of satellite interference signal we could blast into Russia and cut their TV services off? They are literally lying to their citizens. And have just passed a new law that anyone who spreads 'Fake News' will be imprisoned for 25 years.

You constantly call for domestic censorship on this forum, including shutting down social media over "misinformation" and you publicly lament that CNN wants to become more mainstream because you openly want them to help win what you call the "propaganda war."

You then come into a thread about Russia shutting down social media and engaging in censorship and propaganda and act like you have a leg to stand on. Nobody is buying what you're selling. Screenshot_20220305-141148_Brave - Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20220305-141159_Brave - Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20220305-142026_Brave - Beta.jpg

I could go on forever... There's little difference between you and Putin on this issue. Just like Putin you've deluded yourself into believing that you want to do these things for altruistic reasons.

Last edited:
Not really, more that CNN&NBC are so blatantly fake that why would anyone want to sight it.... That's all.
Absolutely nothing to do with it. Fox has of late really swung pro-Putin. It's the only reason they get airtime in Russia.

I am not sure the idiot owner of Fox News even understands how badly he's hurting his network allowing this crap. No one in the world right now is siding with Putin except for Putin and Tucker Carlson. He is shameful and really ridiculous. Ukrainians blood is on Foxes hands. I hope they are proud of themselves.

You constantly call for domestic censorship on this forum, including shutting down social media over "misinformation" and you publicly lament that CNN wants to become more mainstream because you openly want them to help win what you call the "propaganda war."

You then come into a thread about Russia shutting down social media and engaging in censorship and propaganda and act like you have a leg to stand on. Nobody is buying what you're selling. View attachment 67378320
View attachment 67378321
View attachment 67378323

I could go on forever... There's little difference between you and Putin on this issue.
What's your point? I stand by my comments. All caps don't change anything.

Did I trigger something. Does your font size go any bigger?

As Mycroft would say; You're Dismissed.

Lol, of course Putin left FOX News alone. It is the only news source that will paint his regime in a positive light, and ask to be taken seriously.

Lol, of course Putin left FOX News alone. It is the only news source that will paint his regime in a positive light, and ask to be taken seriously.
Trump, Putin, Fox - 3 peas in a pod

They have a very short chronology of faux news talking heads worshipping Putin. That started way back during the Obama admin.

Reactions: jpn
Absolutely nothing to do with it. Fox has of late really swung pro-Putin. It's the only reason they get airtime in Russia.

I am not sure the idiot owner of Fox News even understands how badly he's hurting his network allowing this crap. No one in the world right now is siding with Putin except for Putin and Tucker Carlson. He is shameful and really ridiculous. Ukrainians blood is on Foxes hands. I hope they are proud of themselves.
I think Murdoch knows. He is a modern Goebbels.

Reactions: jpn
I think Murdoch knows. He is a modern Goebbels.
Not that I agree with it, but that's OK when things were peaceful. But he has allowed it to get out of hand. Where are his more moderate sons?

Of course FoxNews/Pravda is welcome in Russia. Trump, Putin and Fox have the same agenda: End democracy and install a dictator led oligarchy/kleptocracy.

Any one of the broadcast outlets (NBC, CBS, ABC) out draws cable FOX News every day. Whenever I hear someone bragging about FOX News viewership, I feel they would also like to argue over who was the greatest minor league baseball player of all time.

Back
Top Bottom