• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia to supply Syria with cruise missiles

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
MOSCOW: Russian Defence minister Anatoly Serdyukov confirmed in Washington that Russia would supply Syria with P-800 Yakhont cruise missiles, Russian news agencies reported Friday.

"We will supply Yakhont to Syria, we will fulfil the contract," Serdyukov was quoted as saying by ITAR-TASS news agency in comments to Russian journalists, adding that the contract was signed in 2007.

Serdyukov was speaking in Washington during a visit to the Pentagon aimed at expanding military ties as part of the countries' much-vaunted "reset" in relations.

Russia's arms sales and possible nuclear cooperation with Syria, which has close ties to Iran, is unnerving for the United States and Israel, which fears them being transferred to the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

Serdyukov described such fears as unjustified.

"The US and Israel ask us not to supply Syria with Yakhont. But we do not see the concerns expressed by them that these arms will fall into the hands of terrorists," he said.

The Russian defence minister also called for an end to a deadlock over a key Cold War arms treaty limiting conventional military forces of Europe. Russia abandoned it in 2007 over US plans to install a missile shield in Eastern Europe.
Russia to supply Syria with cruise missiles: Minister - The Times of India

It seems Russia and Syria have been active in military transactions, The syrians of late have been modernizing their military.
Russia has agreed to supply Syria with combat aircraft and other defense equipment, saying a previous sale was legitimate.
Citing remarks by Mikahil Dmitriyev, the head of Russia's federal service of military and technical cooperation, the state-run ITAR Tass news agency said Moscow's sale concerned MiG-29 fighter jets, Pantasir short-range defense systems and armored vehicles.
Russia supplying Syria with combat jets

yup; both Russia and Iran have embarked upon a deliberate policy of world destabilization; on the theory that they can move into the vacuum.

Communisim needs to expand - its been dormant far to long. American dominance will soon be challanged. I bet the Chinesse & Russia, side with us tho- Because of economics, they wouldnt dream of invading us and taking over our country. Free Trade doesnt work that way- And anyhow we would go to the U.N. and have it blocked.

Syria wants a powerful military just like everyone else and Russia has hardware to sell. Why is this an issue? Both the U.S. and Russia sell boatloads of weapons in the ME for political leverage and for the profits on weapons sales in general.

Russian weapons are made of tin and playdoe. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Russian weapons are made of tin and playdoe. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thankfully Israel, having suffered heavy losses to various forms of Russian weapons, doesn't subscribe to such an over-simplified and ignorant viewpoint.

Thankfully Israel, having suffered heavy losses to various forms of Russian weapons, doesn't subscribe to such an over-simplified and ignorant viewpoint.

Aside from him not being totally serious, I am not sure where you are getting that Israel has lost much of its military hardware from Russian weapons? Because I know that they have not suffered any heavy loses in the past engagements with Lebanon or syria.

Back on topic. Russia will not go through with it. It is kind of like how they made a deal to sell Syria airplanes and they didn't and then they promised to sell Syria SAMs which they didn't. Nothing will come from this.

Aside from him not being totally serious, I am not sure where you are getting that Israel has lost much of its military hardware from Russian weapons? Because I know that they have not suffered any heavy loses in the past engagements with Lebanon or syria.

In the Yom Kippur war, the Israeli's took major losses against Egyptian AA batteries and anti-tank teams using Russian equipment.

Back on topic. Russia will not go through with it. It is kind of like how they made a deal to sell Syria airplanes and they didn't and then they promised to sell Syria SAMs which they didn't. Nothing will come from this.

Syria has purchased some modern Russian equipment in the last few years, although it isn't easy to discern from rumor and fact. The S-300 SAM isn't cancelled, and although Russia decided not to sell them to Iran. It wouldn't surprise me if the deal was got axed, but I wouldn't be too much on it either.

And i find your comment highly amusing, since you have subscribed yourself to the belief that i am of the opinion Russian weapons are made of tin and playdoe. :roll:

And i find your comment highly amusing, since you have subscribed yourself to the belief that i am of the opinion Russian weapons are made of tin and playdoe.

Considering that a lot of people genuinely hold such a belief and you gave me no context to doubt your sincerity, I took your post at face value. Given how many crazy and absurd statements get made on the board, it helps to provide extra communication on sarcasm.

Considering that a lot of people genuinely hold such a belief and you gave me no context to doubt your sincerity, I took your post at face value. Given how many crazy and absurd statements get made on the board, it helps to provide extra communication on sarcasm.

Better Russian weapons then American ones, lets put it that way.

Yom Kipper was more a shock/tactical Arab advantage than an equipment advantage.

Russian military hardware had no effect whatsoever on the IAF jets that destroyed the Syrian nuclear facility.

As a matter of fact, Russia has inquired about purchasing Israeli UAVs. Russian drones are decades behind the US and Israel.

Yom Kipper was more a shock/tactical Arab advantage than an equipment advantage.

Russian military hardware had no effect whatsoever on the IAF jets that destroyed the Syrian nuclear facility.

As a matter of fact, Russia has inquired about purchasing Israeli UAVs. Russian drones are decades behind the US and Israel.
Yeah, but that is about it. Russian made SAMs and Anti-ship and anti-armor are more advanced in particular the later models built in the USSR. Those are effective, really effective at what they are built to do. Plus they are cheaper than what it would cost to modernize or equip your whole air force/navy/army with the latest equipment when you can just use an SU21 for the anti ship and cruise missiles.

Back
Top Bottom