• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia to Push Syria to Surrender Chemical Weapons

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
In a surprise move, Russia promised Monday to push its ally Syria to place its chemical weapons under international control and then dismantle them quickly to avert U.S. strikes.

The announcement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov came a few hours after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that Syrian President Bashar Assad could resolve the crisis surrounding the alleged use of chemical weapons by his forces by surrendering control of "every single bit" of his arsenal to the international community by the end of the week.

"If the establishment of international control over chemical weapons in that country would allow avoiding strikes, we will immediately start working with Damascus," Lavrov said.

"We are calling on the Syrian leadership to not only agree on placing chemical weapons storage sites under international control, but also on its subsequent destruction and fully joining the treaty on prohibition of chemical weapons," he said.

Lavrov said that he has already handed over the proposal to al-Moallem and expects a "quick, and, hopefully, positive answer."

Al-Moallem said his government was ready to host the U.N. team, and insisted that Syria is ready to use all channels to convince the Americans that it wasn't behind the attack.

He added that Syria was ready for "full cooperation with Russia to remove any pretext for aggression.".....snip~

Russia to push Syria to surrender chemical weapons

According to this Putin worked to chance out a deal with Assad giving up the Chems. As you can see Lavrov has been in contact with Syria over it, already. With Syria saying they would use every channel they could to prove to the Americans that the Regime was not responsible for that Chem attack.

Why would Putin do this knowing the House here was showing they aren't in line with the Senate and Obama? Unless he knew Obama would get authorization or would act without it. Course if it works and keeps the US out of assisting the Rebels. Then Putin would have scored a victory with this one. While at the same time assuring the Rebels will keep on taking some more ass-kickings.

Wait, if Assad turns over his chemical weapons without American lives or money being lost, I think it is Obama scored a victory, not Putin.
In a surprise move, Russia promised Monday to push its ally Syria to place its chemical weapons under international control and then dismantle them quickly to avert U.S. strikes.

The announcement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov came a few hours after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that Syrian President Bashar Assad could resolve the crisis surrounding the alleged use of chemical weapons by his forces by surrendering control of "every single bit" of his arsenal to the international community by the end of the week.

"If the establishment of international control over chemical weapons in that country would allow avoiding strikes, we will immediately start working with Damascus," Lavrov said.

"We are calling on the Syrian leadership to not only agree on placing chemical weapons storage sites under international control, but also on its subsequent destruction and fully joining the treaty on prohibition of chemical weapons," he said.

Lavrov said that he has already handed over the proposal to al-Moallem and expects a "quick, and, hopefully, positive answer."

Al-Moallem said his government was ready to host the U.N. team, and insisted that Syria is ready to use all channels to convince the Americans that it wasn't behind the attack.

He added that Syria was ready for "full cooperation with Russia to remove any pretext for aggression.".....snip~

According to this Putin worked to chance out a deal with Assad giving up the Chems. As you can see Lavrov has been in contact with Syria over it, already. With Syria saying they would use every channel they could to prove to the Americans that the Regime was not responsible for that Chem attack.

Why would Putin do this knowing the House here was showing they aren't in line with the Senate and Obama? Unless he knew Obama would get authorization or would act without it. Course if it works and keeps the US out of assisting the Rebels. Then Putin would have scored a victory with this one. While at the same time assuring the Rebels will keep on taking some more ass-kickings.

IMO, it's a last ditch move, because the Russians know an attack by the U.S. would topple their ally Syria. They don't care if Assad used the chemical weapons, but they see the U.S. is wanting to act because of them. It's a smart move on their part to save their ally. They can always supply them with more under the table later if they want to.

It's a win/win for the Russians. If the U.S. backs down and chemical weapons are taken in, they score a victory. If the U.S. attacks with the offer on the table, the Russians make the U.S. look like warmongers further. Win/win for them.

Wait, if Assad turns over his chemical weapons without American lives or money being lost, I think it is Obama scored a victory, not Putin.

No, it's a lose for Obama because he drew the red line to punish Assad and nothing will happen to Assad if the U.S. backs down.

except give up his chemical weapons, which is what the air raids were suppose to do. Comeon man, if this happens Obama won. I know it hurts, but it is true. Try quit being so partisan and just be American and be glad none of our service members will die.
No, it's a lose for Obama because he drew the red line to punish Assad and nothing will happen to Assad if the U.S. backs down.

except give up his chemical weapons, which is what the air raids were suppose to do. Comeon man, if this happens Obama won. I know it hurts, but it is true. Try quit being so partisan and just be American and be glad none of our service members will die.

Ok, so let me get this straight. IF Assad used chemical weapons (I say if cause I still don't know if it's him or rebels), then you think a justified punishment for that is to have them take away? That's like gunning down my neighbor and the worst thing that happens to me is they take away my gun. What kind of punishment is that?

Sorry, but it's a lose for Obama and it has nothing to do with partisan so you can save that for someone else. You need to grow up and realize that just because someone disagrees with Obama doesn't mean they are partisan.

No, Putin is willing to step in to be the voice of reason. Short of Putin keeping said weapons for himself.
I really dont think Putin is as warm and fuzzy as people are starting to think in this issue.

Except that it was Putin who Gave the deal to Obama. So it would be a win for him and Russia. Plus like has been mentioned. Putin still get to supply his ally.

His statement followed media reports alleging that Russian President Vladimir Putin, who discussed Syria with President Barack Obama during the group of 20 summit in St. Petersburg last week, sought to negotiate a deal that would have Assad hand over control of chemical weapons.

Lavrov wouldn't say how Russia could respond to a possible U.S. attack on Syria, saying that "we wouldn't like to proceed from a negative scenario and would primarily take efforts to prevent a military intervention."

Putin said that Moscow would keep providing assistance to Syria in case of U.S. attack, but he and other Russian officials have made clear that Russia has no intention of engaging in hostilities.....snip~

Assad's chemical weapons would not be worth transporting to Putin. I am sure they have plenty and a secure lab to make more. Nope. I think this is another win for Obama, if it happens.
No, Putin is willing to step in to be the voice of reason. Short of Putin keeping said weapons for himself.
I really dont think Putin is as warm and fuzzy as people are starting to think in this issue.

Diplomatic pressure. Kinda like when the US pressures China to shut up N Korea. Come on, admit it, Obama won one.
Except that it was Putin who Gave the deal to Obama. So it would be a win for him and Russia. Plus like has been mentioned. Putin still get to supply his ally.

His statement followed media reports alleging that Russian President Vladimir Putin, who discussed Syria with President Barack Obama during the group of 20 summit in St. Petersburg last week, sought to negotiate a deal that would have Assad hand over control of chemical weapons.

Lavrov wouldn't say how Russia could respond to a possible U.S. attack on Syria, saying that "we wouldn't like to proceed from a negative scenario and would primarily take efforts to prevent a military intervention."

Putin said that Moscow would keep providing assistance to Syria in case of U.S. attack, but he and other Russian officials have made clear that Russia has no intention of engaging in hostilities.....snip~

Assad's chemical weapons would not be worth transporting to Putin. I am sure they have plenty and a secure lab to make more. Nope. I think this is another win for Obama, if it happens.
Another? What was his first?

And what if Syria has no chemical weapons?

How is it another win if the Rebels don't get any strikes that help turn the tide in their favor? Wrong.....Its a Win for Putin. If no strikes take place then Assad can mop up the Rebels. The West won't be able to go back and supply the Rebels now. Neither side would have access to the Chems. Nor would the West recognizing the STNC as the Official ruling Government of Syria be valid anymore.

Putin will come out looking like he stopped US aggression and show he has out played Obama.

It is somewhat of a surprise, if Putin really does carry through. It would appear he thinks that demonstrating his influence is more important that hurting Obama.

Glad you asked. Obama got Osama.
Really? He strapped up, jumped out of the chopper ala Rambo kicked in a few doors slaying bad guys all along the way with machine guns in both hands.
Yea, right.
No, he sent our troops to go get him. He put men in harms way to go take out a guy that was hiding like a cockroach under the sink of a beat down trailer.
Then observed Muslim traditions and buried him at sea. An honor we usually reserve for our naval dead if they so choose it.
Try again.
Um, I will help. He saved GM. Oh wait, that was with our money.
He issued an EO to keep dangerous military grade weapons off our streets. Oh, wait no. Those are 80 year old rifles not used in our military since the 50s.
Do I need to keep going?

It is somewhat of a surprise, if Putin really does carry through. It would appear he thinks that demonstrating his influence is more important that hurting Obama.
No, he is showing Obama how its done.
"Come on little fella, I will show you what leadership looks like". One last time.

You have heard of the Chain of Command? Right? Obama is at the top of it. Lame deflection.
Really? He strapped up, jumped out of the chopper ala Rambo kicked in a few doors slaying bad guys all along the way with machine guns in both hands.
Yea, right.
No, he sent our troops to go get him. He put men in harms way to go take out a guy that was hiding like a cockroach under the sink of a beat down trailer.
Then observed Muslim traditions and buried him at sea. An honor we usually reserve for our naval dead if they so choose it.
Try again.
Um, I will help. He saved GM. Oh wait, that was with our money.
He issued an EO to keep dangerous military grade weapons off our streets. Oh, wait no. Those are 80 year old rifles not used in our military since the 50s.
Do I need to keep going?

Heya Jog.....I am sure Putin is looking out for his own interests. But it would give him the appearance that he is working to try and even stop things from spilling over should we strike.

Plus he shows Ban Ki Moon that he was inline with him and that a Military solution was never needed in the first place. Which then who does that light shine upon?

Yea, right.
Try again.

When was the last time a President personally went into battle? Seriously, when was it? Did Reagan go into Grenada personally? Did Bush I personally carry the flag in Panama?

Yes, Obama sent troops to get Osama bin Laden. That's what a President does.

Heya Jog.....I am sure Putin is looking out for his own interests. But it would give him the appearance that he is working to try and even stop things from spilling over should we strike.

Plus he shows Ban Ki Moon that he was inline with him and that a Military solution was never needed in the first place. Which then who does that light shine upon?

Seems like maybe they realized that Assad did use them...and are trying to save face now. It just seems like an odd time to suddenly back away from "it wasn't him."

Diplomatic pressure? Even if it doesnt happen it is a good indication there was a lot of pressure on Assad and Putin to turn over the chemical weapons.
Seems like maybe they realized that Assad did use them...and are trying to save face now. It just seems like an odd time to suddenly back away from "it wasn't him."

Back
Top Bottom