• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia threatens to cut off European gas supply

How stupid was it for these NATO countries who are in NATO because they don't trust Russia to become so dependent on Russian gas? NATO is a joke in every possible way and America should get out of this sham alliance. It's doing nothing to protect its neighbor ostensibly because they are not a NATO member and they are actually funding Putin's war because they were so ****ing dumb to become dependent on his gas. NATO is worse than a paper tiger and really is nothing more than European countries having a mechanism to draw America into any potential war in one of their piss ant Russian gas dependent countries. They made the choice to become dependent on their so called enemy and America should say goodbye and good luck dumb asses.

"Nobody sells us anything for free, and we are not going to do charity either - that is, existing contracts will be stopped," the Russian president said. "

I hope they do ... and continue to drive up fuel prices here in the United States. Paying $5/gallon of diesel today (and it will get higher) won't sit well with constituents in the upcoming midterms. #GoBiden! LOL

I hope they do ... and continue to drive up fuel prices here in the United States. Paying $5/gallon of diesel today (and it will get higher) won't sit well with constituents in the upcoming midterms. #GoBiden! LOL
Thanks for showing your hand. You want Americans to suffer so the Republicans can capitalize. Yeah, who cares about Americans anyway? It's about gaining power. You are no better than McConnell in 2009, when he said his #1 political objective is making Obama a one term president, so he was going to oppose every effort to reduce unemployment and the pain from the recession.

Perhaps that's the fundamental difference between Republicans and Democrats. Democrats want help Americans regardless of who was in power. We didn't have Democrats trying to stop Trump from dealing with Covid (he did that himself) so as to make the pandemic worse, so Democrats would do better in the election. But that's exactly how Republicans act -- 'let's torpedo the economy to make Biden look bad.'

Last edited:
Thanks for showing your hand. You want Americans to suffer so the Republicans can capitalize. Yeah, who cares about Americans anyway? It's about gaining power. You are no better than McConnell in 2009, when he said his #1 political objective is making Obama a one term president, so he was going to oppose every effort to reduce unemployment and the pain from the recession.
Sigh ..

I love it when people, anonymous political contributors, attempt to determine how I feel. @MTAtech, thank you for attempting to demonstrate how I feel .. and you're completely wrong. I would suggest you not do this type of approach your career ..

Sigh ..

I love it when people, anonymous political contributors, attempt to determine how I feel. @MTAtech, thank you for attempting to demonstrate how I feel .. and you're completely wrong.
You told us exactly how you feel. You said, "I hope they do. and continue to drive up fuel prices here in the United States. Paying $5/gallon of diesel today (and it will get higher) won't sit well with constituents in the upcoming midterms."
You want Americans to suffer with high gas prices to so Republicans will benefit in elections. There was no guesswork involved.

Well, really, it ticks me off! The so called "climate change" bleeding hearts that insist that the US needs to save the universe, but they don't stop to think that the countries we are getting the oil from do NOTHING to assist their noble cause. It is just more Kabuki Theatre. I have never seen so much stupidity from the left before, so I guess we can thank Trump for shining the light and bringing out their true colors. Their hate for Trump has only surfaced their real insanity!!
You had me until you mentioned the seditionist Trump.

First, Biden didn't reduce American oil production. Presidents don't control that, oil companies do. As explained many times, there aren't shortages of oil driving up prices because anyone who wants to fill their tanks aren't facing empty gas stations and oil companies aren't going to over-produce just to have a glut and be forced to drop prices.
Second, Biden wasn't president when the Covid shutdowns occurred but they were the thing to do before vaccines were distributed. Those shutdowns did create a glut of oil on the market and collapsed prices. Biden didn't "take credit" for that because he wasn't even in the government at the time.
Third, as we increase fuel economy standards and encourage EV vehicle use, gasoline demand will be lower and Biden absolutely can take credit for that -- although, unlike the former guy, he doesn't chest beat and bloviate.
Shutdowns continued long into Biden's reign of terror. Taking credit for resulting reduction of fossil fuel use is dishonest at best.
Biden immediately upon entering office reversed all Trump pro oil mandates and stopped new drilling on federal lands and closed Anwr and pressured banks to stop loaning to oil companies. He's anti oil but he and his apologists somehow attempt to simultaneously applaud him for that and credit him for doing nothing to slow oil production in America.

You had me until you mentioned the seditionist Trump.
Well, goes to my point that all the hate of Trump leads to BAD decisions.
How do you feel about buying oil from countries that do not contribute to "climate change"?

Well, really, it ticks me off! The so called "climate change" bleeding hearts that insist that the US needs to save the universe, but they don't stop to think that the countries we are getting the oil from do NOTHING to assist their noble cause. It is just more Kabuki Theatre. I have never seen so much stupidity from the left before, so I guess we can thank Trump for shining the light and bringing out their true colors. Their hate for Trump has only surfaced their real insanity!!
Your Messiah, Trump, pulled the U.S. out of the Paris Accord, which got all those countries that you complain about to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. This has nothing to do with "hating Trump," as warnings of the disaster of not doing anything long preceded Trump entering the national stage.

But your post is even worse, it is sheer climate denial, as if what we are witnessing due to greenhouse gas emissions isn't increasing global temperatures and it's all about " bleeding heart" liberals.

Putin is not a genius and he has painted himself into a corner and is doing anything he can to try to get out.

Remember, anytime trump calls someone a genius realize that they are far from it.

Shutdowns continued long into Biden's reign of terror. Taking credit for resulting reduction of fossil fuel use is dishonest at best.
Biden immediately upon entering office reversed all Trump pro oil mandates and stopped new drilling on federal lands and closed Anwr and pressured banks to stop loaning to oil companies. He's anti oil but he and his apologists somehow attempt to simultaneously applaud him for that and credit him for doing nothing to slow oil production in America.
Whatever you call "pro oil mandates" is utter nonsense. Oil companies have plenty of places to extract oil. Biden outpaces Trump in issuing drilling permits on public lands. We also don't have to spoil the environment by drilling on ANWR.

You can assert that Biden is anti-oil, but there are no policies that he proposed that actually is causing a shortage. You are conditioned to thinking that oil prices rise because of shortages, not that oil producers have learned that they can maximize profits by supplying just the amount that demand allows, pricing their product at the most of the supply/demand utility curve.

How stupid was it for these NATO countries who are in NATO because they don't trust Russia to become so dependent on Russian gas? NATO is a joke in every possible way and America should get out of this sham alliance.

In geopolitical and economic terms, American isolation would be suicidal. We would lose a lot of our geopolitical power, and many Americans would be poorer. The United States cannot compete with China one on one -- we're not even a quarter of its size and China hasn't even fully developed its economy the way we and Europe has.

It's doing nothing to protect its neighbor ostensibly because they are not a NATO member and they are actually funding Putin's war because they were so ****ing dumb to become dependent on his gas.

It made sense as long as Putin was behaving within parameters. Now? Not so much and European nations are responding in kind.

NATO is worse than a paper tiger and really is nothing more than European countries having a mechanism to draw America into any potential war in one of their piss ant Russian gas dependent countries. They made the choice to become dependent on their so called enemy and America should say goodbye and good luck dumb asses.

"Nobody sells us anything for free, and we are not going to do charity either - that is, existing contracts will be stopped," the Russian president said. "

Ukraine isn't a NATO country; it's no coincidence that Russia has its troops in Ukraine, Belarus, and Moldova, and not in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania - or did you miss that part?

Your Messiah, Trump, pulled the U.S. out of the Paris Accord, which got all those countries that you complain about to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. This has nothing to do with "hating Trump," as warnings of the disaster of not doing anything long preceded Trump entering the national stage.

But your post is even worse, it is sheer climate denial, as if what we are witnessing due to greenhouse gas emissions isn't increasing global temperatures and it's all about " bleeding heart" liberals.
answer please? How do you feel about buying oil from countries who are not championing "climate change"?

Whatever you call "pro oil mandates" is utter nonsense. Oil companies have plenty of places to extract oil. Biden outpaces Trump in issuing drilling permits on public lands. We also don't have to spoil the environment by drilling on ANWR.

Moreover, the oil companies began preparing for a Biden term in 2018-2019 and began snatching up leases. This idea that the oil & gas industry is suffering and being driven out of existence in the Biden era is crapola. I don't necessarily agree with Biden's poor outreach to the oil & gas industry - he needs to be better than he has been in that regard, but completely agree that it's inaccurate to label Biden as being anti O&G industry. He thinks - correctly - that global climate change is an impending disaster and time is running out to do something about it.

answer please? How do you feel about buying oil from countries who are not championing "climate change"?

It's a necessity - it's stupid to stab one's self in the eye for the sake of being ideologically pure. I don't care if MBS doesn't champion climate change or gay rights, and I don't care if he occasionally murders a Saudi-turned-American, chops him up, and stuffs him in a suitcase. I mean, okay, I care - but not enough to put us at a geopolitical disadvantage with China and other adversaries.

It's a necessity - it's stupid to stab one's self in the eye for the sake of being ideologically pure. I don't care if MBS doesn't champion climate change or gay rights, and I don't care if he occasionally murders a Saudi-turned-American, chops him up, and stuffs him in a suitcase. I mean, okay, I care - but not enough to put us at a geopolitical disadvantage with China and other adversaries.
Oh, but buying from those countries that chop up people are not necessary if we kept the supply here. Just like buying from the Dollar Stores, who needs them.

Oh, but buying from those countries that chop up people are not necessary if we kept the supply here.

Whether we like it or not, oil and gas are going to have to be a part of our overall energy portfolio for at least the next decade or so. However, that fact does not have to be a reason to shelve moving toward climate change goals.

I've sometimes thought that maybe would progressives ought to do is propose finding ways to incentivize fossil fuel companies gaining more of a space in the renewables market. This would no doubt leave a lot of the green entrepreneurs - Tesla included - pissed but there has to be a way to combine interests somehow. I'm not an economist and I'm absolutely not an oil gas economist so I don't know how it gets done, but I doubt we'll get there fast enough unless we collaborate with the Exxons and Shells of the world.

How stupid was it for these NATO countries who are in NATO because they don't trust Russia to become so dependent on Russian gas? NATO is a joke in every possible way and America should get out of this sham alliance. It's doing nothing to protect its neighbor ostensibly because they are not a NATO member and they are actually funding Putin's war because they were so ****ing dumb to become dependent on his gas. NATO is worse than a paper tiger and really is nothing more than European countries having a mechanism to draw America into any potential war in one of their piss ant Russian gas dependent countries. They made the choice to become dependent on their so called enemy and America should say goodbye and good luck dumb asses.

So you're so smart you knew Russia was going to invade Ukraine? I think that took even some experts off guard.

I don't think buying from Russia at the time was stupid at all. The alternative was not very feasible at the time.

You can assert that Biden is anti-oil, but there are no policies that he proposed that actually is causing a shortage. You are conditioned to thinking that oil prices rise because of shortages, not that oil producers have learned that they can maximize profits by supplying just the amount that demand allows, pricing their product at the most of the supply/demand utility curve.
More dishonesty. Oil companies went on a permit buying spree when Biden was elected fearing he'd do exactly what he did with public lands. Biden stopped Anwr and did everything he could to slow US oil production.

[
" He revoked the federal permit for the continued construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline, which will cost 11,000 jobs (8,000 are union jobs), and he temporarily stopped granting permits for oil and gas operations on federal lands, which will reduce U.S. oil production and was immediately challenged with a lawsuit.

There were at least 10 other orders and directives issued aimed at repealing directives issued by Donald Trump."

In geopolitical and economic terms, American isolation would be suicidal. We would lose a lot of our geopolitical power, and many Americans would be poorer. The United States cannot compete with China one on one -- we're not even a quarter of its size and China hasn't even fully developed its economy the way we and Europe has.

It made sense as long as Putin was behaving within parameters. Now? Not so much and European nations are responding in kind.

Ukraine isn't a NATO country; it's no coincidence that Russia has its troops in Ukraine, Belarus, and Moldova, and not in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania - or did you miss that part?
NATO is a joke. They supposedly are a military alliance to defend against Russia but then they turn around and become dependent on Russian oil.

More dishonesty. Oil companies went on a permit buying spree when Biden was elected fearing he'd do exactly what he did with public lands.

So what are oil companies complaining about, then? They got the leases, didn't they?

Moreover, @MTAtech is factually accurate: Biden's leasing has outpaced Trump's. Biden did issue a pause, but that was challenged by states who got a judge to agree with him and those leases have been open for exploration since mid-2021. Moreover, Biden signed off on a massive drilling lease in the Gulf of Mexico, much to the chagrin of environmentalists and climate change activists. There's an article here: https://www.npr.org/2021/11/17/1056...-and-gas-leases-days-after-the-climate-summit

Interestingly enough, Trump's leasing had (slightly) declined compared to Obama's until Trump's last few months in office. Go figure. Much of the oil & gas energy's lease purchasing has had to do with what they anticipate in terms of policy, as opposed to actual policies themselves.

Biden stopped Anwr and did everything he could to slow US oil production. [

Should oil companies be able to drill anywhere they want? Should they be allowed to destroy Yellowstone and other national parks if that's what they wish to do?

They bought everything in sight even if their was no proven oil on it. It was a desperation buy and now Biden wants to tax them for not drilling dry leases.

You told us exactly how you feel. You said, "I hope they do. and continue to drive up fuel prices here in the United States. Paying $5/gallon of diesel today (and it will get higher) won't sit well with constituents in the upcoming midterms."
You want Americans to suffer with high gas prices to so Republicans will benefit in elections. There was no guesswork involved.
Not correct .. Americans need to understand and feel how their leadership and leadership choices have consequences, and the poor outcomes we all are facing.

More dishonesty. Oil companies went on a permit buying spree when Biden was elected fearing he'd do exactly what he did with public lands. Biden stopped Anwr and did everything he could to slow US oil production.

[
" He revoked the federal permit for the continued construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline, which will cost 11,000 jobs (8,000 are union jobs), and he temporarily stopped granting permits for oil and gas operations on federal lands, which will reduce U.S. oil production and was immediately challenged with a lawsuit.

There were at least 10 other orders and directives issued aimed at repealing directives issued by Donald Trump."
Why do you make something out 11,000 jobs claim? The country added something like 430K jobs last month. Do these 11K of temporary jobs mean that much in the big picture?

NATO is a joke. They supposedly are a military alliance to defend against Russia but then they turn around and become dependent on Russian oil.

If NATO were a joke, Putin would be a lot more confrontational with NATO states than he has been so far.

Remember how Putin was going to wage all-out cyberwarfare and scare us with his nukes? That hasn't exactly happened - at least not yet, and that's despite the fact that we're crippling Russia's economy.

That's not to say he won't get to that point, but if he does, it's because he's being pushed into a wall by NATO, not because NATO is rolling over for him. By attacking Ukraine, Russia was also attacking NATO, but Russia never wanted NATO to actually get involved in Ukraine. He attacked NATO because he thought he senses weakness. He was counting on our not getting involved, making exactly the same bets you've made - that Western liberal democratic countries are a bunch of materialistic ******s who can't handle a wee bit of hardship.

Back
Top Bottom