• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia Suffering Shortages, Struggling to Sustain Troops: Pentagon

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Three weeks into Russian President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, Russian forces appear to be suffering from shortages, and commanders are struggling to sustain their troops in combat, a Pentagon official said Thursday. Russian advances largely remain stalled, making minimal progress in terms of ground movement as Ukrainian forces continue to put up determined resistance, a senior U.S. defense official told reporters in an update, speaking on the condition of anonymity. Putin's forces are "basically frozen around the country on multiple lines of axes, struggling to fuel themselves and to feed their troops and to supply them with arms and ammunition," the person said. The senior official with the U.S. Department of Defense said that Russia appears to now be relying more on so-called "dumb" bombs than on precision-guided munitions in its full-scale offensive against Ukraine—something that could indicate Russia could be suffering shortages and sustainment issues."We have seen them rely more, a little bit more than we saw in the early going, on dumb bombs. We think that it's possible that they might be either conserving their precision-guided munitions or beginning to experience shortages." "They clearly weren't ready for the pushback that they have been getting from the Ukrainians," the Pentagon official added.

Russia is also struggling to sustain troops in the field, the official noted, pointing to stalled efforts outside Kyiv, where a convoy of Russian forces stretching for miles has remained for days. "We talked back in week one about how they hadn't planned properly for logistics and sustainment, how they were struggling with fueling and even feeding their troops," the official said. "We've seen them try to overcome some of those ... issues, but they're still struggling to sustain their troops in the field." "They are still struggling with that," the official added. "Part of that we believe is because they didn't properly plan for—to execute good logistics. But also because they ran into a stiffer resistance from the Ukrainians than they expected." The official said it's "quite extraordinary" that three weeks in, Russian forces are still suffering the same logistical and sustainment issues, and that they are considering additional ways to overcome those shortages from outside Ukraine. The U.S. has also seen "anecdotal indications" that Russian troop morale is lagging due to "poor leadership, lack of information that the troops are getting about their mission and objectives" and disillusionment at "being resisted as fiercely as they have been."

I'm a bit surprised that Russian Defense Minister General Sergei Shoigu is not under house arrest. His forces have performed dismally.

The Russian Army is Running Out Of Trucks For its War In Ukraine

There is always AMAZON!

1647693066034.jpeg

Do you think the Russian people know where Putin shops for clothes?

Propaganda or fact? Let's hope it's the latter. Throughout WW2 we were constantly told that Nazi aircraft production was in dire straits, yet Germany's aircraft production was increasing, right up until the end of the war; mostly the fighter types (Me109, Fw190, Me262), crucial for defence. Plenty of aircraft but woefully few experienced pilots, most of whom were long dead by '44/'45.

That what’s going on outside Kyiv is “stalled” is a pretty big assumption. Yesterday, the media reported that the Russians were building earthen embankments in those positions so it seems that they intend to stay there for awhile. I’d stay that rather than being “stalled” they’re just waging a war of attrition.

That what’s going on outside Kyiv is “stalled” is a pretty big assumption. Yesterday, the media reported that the Russians were building earthen embankments in those positions so it seems that they intend to stay there for awhile.

You don't build earthen embankments to go on the offense...

Propaganda or fact? Let's hope it's the latter. Throughout WW2 we were constantly told that Nazi aircraft production was in dire straits, yet Germany's aircraft production was increasing, right up until the end of the war; mostly the fighter types (Me109, Fw190, Me262), crucial for defence. Plenty of aircraft but woefully few experienced pilots, most of whom were long dead by '44/'45.

It seems to be corroborated by Russia's inability to advance. The convoys and troops should have rolled into Kyiv within a week of the invasion. The troops have sustained heavy losses - probably in the thousands. If they can't resupply, the losses aren't going to just increase; they'll multiply.

That what’s going on outside Kyiv is “stalled” is a pretty big assumption. Yesterday, the media reported that the Russians were building earthen embankments in those positions so it seems that they intend to stay there for awhile. I’d stay that rather than being “stalled” they’re just waging a war of attrition.
Common practise in times of war since time immemorial. Surround and besiege a city and bomb and starve it into submission.

Common practise in times of war since time immemorial. Surround and besiege a city and bomb and starve it into submission.

Did the British do that during the Falklands War?

if Ukraine can prevail it will then mean a ton of money for whomever has to rebuild.

Did the British do that during the Falklands War?
No. Argentina invaded British territory; we threw them out. Took us 7-8 weeks.

In modern times less successful.

Think Leningrad and Stalingrad.
Indeed; although to be fair the Nazis had not anticipated the arrival of 'General Winter' which had a huge impact on troops and materiel ill-equipped against the ferocity of a Russian winter, along with supply lines stretched beyond capacity. Essentially the Nazis starved and froze themselves into defeat.

Last edited:

I'm a bit surprised that Russian Defense Minister General Sergei Shoigu is not under house arrest. His forces have performed dismally.

The Russian Army is Running Out Of Trucks For its War In Ukraine

A question that has been increasingly intriguing me is who exactly was responsible for at least the plan that stalled. It may not be the Generals at all. Or at least not the Russian General Staff. Keep in mind that all agree that the whole decision of whether Putin was bluffing or not appeared to be a secret known only to Putin. I am beginning to wonder if the plan was drawn by a small secret staff to Putin's specifications, and based on his own appreciation of Ukrainian resistance.

The stalled plan appears to me to have been based on it being a police action, meeting minimal resistance, and designed to avoid damages to infrastructure that would be needed after operation. That will make it in my estimation a Putin plan.

Soldiers being what they are, I have difficulty seeing Generals designing the kind of plan that just stalled. My suspicion is that at the Russian General Staff there is a lot of 'we shouldn't have done this, we shouldn't have done that....who designed this?" But also silence. The Chief designed it.

Soldiers being what they are, I have difficulty seeing Generals designing the kind of plan that just stalled. My suspicion is that at the Russian General Staff there is a lot of 'we shouldn't have done this, we shouldn't have done that....who designed this?" But also silence. The Chief designed it.

I have great difficulty believing "police officers" could have ordered and orchestrated a 40 mile long military convoy to invade Ukraine from Belarus with the intent to encircle Kyiv.

As he self-admitted, this is Putin's invasion. He is ultimately responsible as is everyone at the Kremlin who did not object.

Your attempt to deflect blame from Vladimir Putin and General Sergei Shoigu et. al. is noted.

A question that has been increasingly intriguing me is who exactly was responsible for at least the plan that stalled. It may not be the Generals at all. Or at least not the Russian General Staff. Keep in mind that all agree that the whole decision of whether Putin was bluffing or not appeared to be a secret known only to Putin. I am beginning to wonder if the plan was drawn by a small secret staff to Putin's specifications, and based on his own appreciation of Ukrainian resistance.

The stalled plan appears to me to have been based on it being a police action, meeting minimal resistance, and designed to avoid damages to infrastructure that would be needed after operation. That will make it in my estimation a Putin plan.

Maybe someone else “knows more than the generals?”

I have great difficulty believing "police officers" could have ordered and orchestrated a 40 mile long military convoy to invade Ukraine from Belarus with the intent to encircle Kyiv.

As he self-admitted, this is Putin's invasion. He is ultimately responsible as is everyone at the Kremlin who did not object.

Your attempt to deflect blame from Vladimir Putin and General Sergei Shoigu et. al. is noted.

You are having a busy morning with lots of postings and so paid little attention. I was placing blame on Putin. If Shoigu shares any blame it is for doing his best to meet Putin's specifications. My estimation is that if Shoigu had to draw up his own plans it would be closer to what other Generals on TV suggest should have been the plan

My estimation is that if Shoigu had to draw up his own plans it would be closer to what other Generals on TV suggest should have been the plan

How could you know?

When has Shoigu ever planned any military undertaking this complex?

Is Shoigu not a career soldier?

Many career soldiers never see real combat. Oftentimes it's due to timing more than anything else.

Q: What previous massive Russian foreign invasion can be attributed to Shoigu?

A: None. After this debacle, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shoigu "retired" at a minimum.

Interesting conjecture.

As I understand it this plan was put together is some haste, perhaps after the reputed Jan 22nd decision by Putin to invade. Clearly it was drawn up by individuals who thought that Ukrainians would not resist, that minimal preliminary fire power was needed, and that the "shock" of a move (as in Czechoslovakia in 1968) would result in surrender...not unlike in Crimea.

This could have been a general staff plan, made under conditions of "group think". After years of propaganda about the oppressed Russian population, the neo Nazi elite running Ukraine, etc. they came to believe it. Almost certainly, they convinced themselves the South and East Russian speakers would rally to assist...welcoming liberation.

A face it, no one wants to tell Putin "no" or "it can't be done" in a way that suits his political goals. So everybody goes along the Herr Putin's demands for a mostly bloodless takeover and this results.

Also, be reminded western experts were also wrong...predicting powerful Russian forces would quash Ukraine in several days.

Here is one fellow that must cringe over what he wrote before the war:

Remember, for years Putin has been saying that Ukraine is not a real country and that it is led by Nazis. With all of this he was laying the groundwork for invasion and appointing a "peoples soviet", exactly like what governs in LNR/DPR today.

Whatever the Russian intelligence services and military intelligence knew about Uktraine, the invasion plan presented to Putin had to abide by his Ukraine misconceptions and perversions.

We know that these Ukraine "putinisms" were lies put forth for the sake of Kremlin expansionism because Putin is killing more Russian speakers in Ukraine than any other segment of Ukrainian society.

Back
Top Bottom