• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia Seeks Buyers for Plundered Ukraine Grain, U.S. Warns

MTAtech

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

NAIROBI, Kenya — Russia has bombed, blockaded and plundered the grain production capacity of Ukraine, which accounts for one-tenth of global wheat exports, resulting in dire forecasts of increased hunger and of spiking food prices around the world.

Now, the United States has warned that the Kremlin is trying to profit from that plunder by selling stolen wheat to drought-stricken countries in Africa, some facing possible famine.

=========
This is a dilemma for buying nations — buy stolen Ukrainian wheat or have people starve.

My view is that they might as well buy the wheat, since feeding the people is more important. Also, exports to Russia have been largely reduced, which means that even with the grain revenue, there isn’t much Russia can be allowed to buy.

Thoughts?

NAIROBI, Kenya — Russia has bombed, blockaded and plundered the grain production capacity of Ukraine, which accounts for one-tenth of global wheat exports, resulting in dire forecasts of increased hunger and of spiking food prices around the world.

Now, the United States has warned that the Kremlin is trying to profit from that plunder by selling stolen wheat to drought-stricken countries in Africa, some facing possible famine.

=========
This is a dilemma for buying nations — buy stolen Ukrainian wheat or have people starve.

My view is that they might as well buy the wheat, since feeding the people is more important. Also, exports to Russia have been largely reduced, which means that even with the grain revenue, there isn’t much Russia can be allowed to buy.

Thoughts?
THere is always the black market. I suspect that the grain will be sold. The african countries won't want to face famine.

Russia used a battle tactic during WWII called 'scorched earth' wherein when they lost ground to the enemy, they burned and destroyed everything they left behind, leaving no resources for the enemy to exploit. Perhaps Ukraine should employ a similar tactic against the Russians.

Not much of a dilemma here. People need to eat.

=========

Thoughts?
This is an area that's going to present problems in terms of trying to prevent Russia from benefiting from this resource. I'm not an advocate of starving people (be it in Russia or not), and the wheat that comes from both nations feeds a lot of people, so unless we're able to replace that amount grain (which doesn't seem likely), then this might be one we let go.

=========
It’s not really a dilemma at all. Buy the grain.
Russia produces many of the elements they need for their industries and can buy from China and India.
Thoughts?
Legitimate spoils of war. The Ukrainians shouldn’t have passed their dumb language law

Russia produces many of the elements they need for their industries and can buy from China and India.

Legitimate spoils of war. The Ukrainians shouldn’t have passed their dumb language law
Was the Holocaust legitimate?

THere is always the black market. I suspect that the grain will be sold. The african countries won't want to face famine.
It's more important to restrict inflows to Russia than outflows. The inflows is how they build their military machinery.

It's more important to restrict inflows to Russia than outflows. The inflows is how they build their military machinery.
And even getting things on the black market, the supplies will be limited and quite possibly not of the best quality.

disgusting post.

Russia should come blow your house up and seize the industry of your town. Make up a bogus rationalization. And then sell what they took from you to India.

disgusting post.

Russia should come blow your house up and seize the industry of your town. Make up a bogus rationalization. And then sell what they took from you to India.
I’m not worried about Russian marines seizing Marina del Rey Tarawa style and advancing into the LA Basin

< snipped graphic >
That i don't think is taking into account the predicted chinese population decline. it supposed to shrink by 1.1% per year due to the 'one child' policy, and the fact that many woman just don't want kids in china, because they are too expensive

That i don't think is taking into account the predicted chinese population decline. it supposed to shrink by 1.1% per year due to the 'one child' policy, and the fact that many woman just don't want kids in china, because they are too expensive
true... but the drop in china will be replaced by India and Africa...

Was the Holocaust legitimate?
No, the cultural Holocaust planned by the Ukranians to carry out against Donbas Rus is certainly not legitimate. Fortunately the Russians were ready to prevent it

No, the cultural Holocaust planned by the Ukranians to carry out against Donbas Rus is certainly not legitimate. Fortunately the Russians were ready to prevent it

someone’s been getting their news from Pro Putin sources.

Okay, so, Putin will go home after the ethnic Russian areas are “liberated” then.

Lol.

=========

Thoughts?
We need to apprehend those ships as soon as they reach international waters and sell the grain ourselves and give the money to Ukraine.

someone’s been getting their news from Pro Putin sources.

Okay, so, Putin will go home after the ethnic Russian areas are “liberated” then.

Lol.
Putin lives in Russia so presumably he would stay there after winning

We need to apprehend those ships as soon as they reach international waters and sell the grain ourselves and give the money to Ukraine.
Lol so you want the US to commit piracy?

The one child policy is long gone. You can have up to 3 now I believe.

The one child policy is long gone. You can have up to 3 now I believe.
Yes, but because of economics, many people don't want more than 1 child, and with the current replacement rate, they estimate that China will drop from 1.2 billion to 600M by 2100.

Pretty much Africa is the only place bucking that trend, but I suspect that droubt and other conditions will be a trigger for disasters. The fact there is such a disruption in food supplies, particularly for Africa, show the fragile balance they are in.

Back
Top Bottom