• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

JMR

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says - The New York Times

Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

The Trump administration has been deliberating for months about what to do about a stunning intelligence assessment.

American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops — amid the peace talks to end the long-running war there, according to officials briefed on the matter.

The United States concluded months ago that the Russian unit, which has been linked to assassination attempts and other covert operations in Europe intended to destabilize the West or take revenge on turncoats, had covertly offered rewards for successful attacks last year.

An operation to incentivize the killing of American and other NATO troops would be a significant and provocative escalation of what American and Afghan officials have said is Russian support for the Taliban, and it would be the first time the Russian spy unit was known to have orchestrated attacks on Western troops.

Any involvement with the Taliban that resulted in the deaths of American troops would also be a huge escalation of Russia’s so-called hybrid war against the United States, a strategy of destabilizing adversaries through a combination of such tactics as cyberattacks, the spread of fake news and covert and deniable military operations.

According to this report, a series of response options was developed in March, but to date no action has been authorized by the White House. Putin's press secretary claims Moscow has not been informed of this intelligence. It will be interesting to see how this situation is handled by the hawkish Pompeo and the conciliatory Trump.

The Taliban were already too happy to kill NATO troops, I don't think they needed an incentive.

The Taliban were already too happy to kill NATO troops, I don't think they needed an incentive.

I agree about the Taliban. How do you feel about Russia urging them to kill NATO and American troops?

Pakistan was funding the Taliban, while the United States was funding Pakistan.

US taxpayers were funding a bounty on their own soldiers.

How's that for crazy?

I agree about the Taliban. How do you feel about Russia urging them to kill NATO and American troops?

Maybe. I understand that Putin isn't in control of the whole government. The GRU might've authorized it in retaliation for something we did to them. Who knows?

Pakistan was funding the Taliban, while the United States was funding Pakistan.

US taxpayers were funding a bounty on their own soldiers.

How's that for crazy?

Crazier in my mind is trying to get Russia back in G7 .

British troops were also targeted. How do feel about Russia's attempts to destabilize us?

I think the Trump admin. should rethink trying to get Russia back into the G-7.

The New Chinese Empire, of which Russia is a member (we drove them too it, because we are morons) ....is coming for America hard....make no mistake about that!

British troops were also targeted. How do feel about Russia's attempts to destabilize us?

Russia has shown itself to be a bad actor, and being conciliatory, and lauding "good relationships" with Putin are destructive to our national interests. There is no reason to welcome Russia to the G7.

The very same US Intelligence that ran Abu Ghraib, off-grid black sites, the Extraordinary Rendition program, and tortured people during interrogations.

Bloody Gina is the head of this snake. Here's a few bedtime stories...

Human rights violations by the CIA | wikipedia.org

The CIA’s Complicity in Modern Global Atrocities Revealed | www.kcrw.com

Afghanistan: CIA-Backed Forces Commit Atrocities | www.hrw.org/news

Your point is that the intelligence is incorrect? Or that it doesn't matter?

Your point is that the intelligence is incorrect? Or that it doesn't matter?

Replace "incorrect" with "lacks an interest in either truth or decency" maybe.

My wife is Army Intel, one of the best interrogators in the Army, the CIA in Iraq used to come and get her to crack people they could not crack....she has seen them up close.

My wife is Army Intel, one of the best interrogators in the Army, the CIA in Iraq used to come and get her to crack people they could not crack....she has seen them up close.

I did not imagine that our Intelligence Agencies are made up of angels. You cannot be suggesting that your wife lacks decency?

Crazier in my mind is trying to get Russia back in G7 .

There are so many countries in the G7 that are not the top 7 economies, so nothing wrong with including Russia, when other European nations are being included. It's better for dialogue and cooperation.

You're ****in' kidding right? Trump is Putin's lap dog.

Trump has had this intelligence for months, and yet he still wanted to invite them back into the G7. Let that sink in.

There are so many countries in the G7 that are not the top 7 economies, so nothing wrong with including Russia, when other European nations are being included. It's better for dialogue and cooperation.

It's not stated anywhere that the G7 represents the "top" economies. There are 26 nations recognized as being top economies. Seven of them have common interests and goals at this point. Russia shares neither.

No, it is precisely what you suggested. I don't think for a moment that your wife lacks decency. You cannot claim that she was a top interrogator getting needed info, but ALL of her coworkers were indecent. So take your Cheap right back at yourself.

Trump is Russia's buddy and the foe of American service people

No, it is precisely what you suggested. I don't think for a moment that your wife lacks decency. You cannot claim that she was a top interrogator getting needed info, but ALL of her coworkers were indecent. So take your Cheap right back at yourself.

I know that you can do better work because I have seen you do better work,

Please Try.

Not quite a tweet.
But there's always a tweetquote

When asked if he trusted the USIC or Putin more,
Trump answered

"My people came to me — Dan Coats came to me and some others — they said they think it’s Russia.
I have President Putin; he just said it’s not Russia.​
I will say this: I don’t see any reason why it would be... "​

I know that you can do better work because I have seen you do better work,

Please Try.

I've seen you try this bs approach before. Try harder. Was your wife the one singular decent intelligence worker? Yes or No will do.

Not quite a tweet.
But there's always a tweetquote

When asked if he trusted the USIC or Putin more,
Trump answered

"My people came to me — Dan Coats came to me and some others — they said they think it’s Russia.
I have President Putin; he just said it’s not Russia.​
I will say this: I don’t see any reason why it would be... "​

Yup. Putin tells him it didn't happen, so obviously it didn't. :roll:

You're ****in' kidding right? Trump is Putin's lap dog.

Trump has had this intelligence for months, and yet he still wanted to invite them back into the G7. Let that sink in.

I have.

Do you think anyone who knows your posting history believes you. And just as importantly do you think anyone who has any real experience with the military or the CIA believes your story.

Back
Top Bottom