• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Russia" plans to shut its Northern Sea Route to foreign vessels/ Freedom of the seas?

Litwin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It goes against very fundamental principals of USA. we all know that USA/NATO will stand for Freedom of the seas, does it mean that its the end for grandpa vova putler?

"Russia is moving towards blocking ships under a foreign flag from sailing in the Northern Sea Route in its exclusive economic zone as the country seeks to boost profits from potential oil and gas extraction in its arctic region.

Such a monopoly could pay off in the Northern Sea Route, the shortest shipping route from Europe to the Pacific Ocean, but only if the Arctic region of Russia emerges as a major oil and gas hub, according to industry experts."

Russia plans to shut its Northern Sea Route to foreign vessels | Asia Times

Map_of_the_Arctic_region_showing_the_Northeast_Passage_the_Northern_Sea_Route_and_Northwest_Passage_and_bathymetry-630x378.png

This is usually the point where I would say something like "imagine being so obsessed with a political figure that you exclusively start threads that begin with you using your own personal nickname for said political figure," but then I was once again struck by the sickening realization of how damn many of the people on this forum match that description, almost to a T.

Where did it all go wrong?

Since Russia owns adjacent real estate bordering this sea route accross 11 time zones it would be prudent for all Nations intending to use this Northern Sea Route to negotiate passage through Russian diplomatic channels. The ice will melt first close to shore, not where the proposed Northern route is shown on your map. Natural bottlenecks are owned by Russia like the Bosphorus, Suez Canal, and Panama Canal.
/

This is usually the point where I would say something like "imagine being so obsessed with a political figure that you exclusively start threads that begin with you using your own personal nickname for said political figure," but then I was once again struck by the sickening realization of how damn many of the people on this forum match that description, almost to a T.

For me it went wrong in 2014 when Putin invaded Ukraine's Crimea oblast. I once lived in Crimea near Yalta.

Any other questions?

There's a term for it: [insert name here] Derangement Syndrome. In this case its PDS.

Regarding sailing in the Arctic, Canada has taken a similar position to Russia

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-09-04/who-controls-northwest-passage-its-debate

The strange legal limbo of the Northwest Passage can be traced back to 1985 when the US Coast Guard icebreaker, the Polar Sea, started navigating through the passage without asking Canada's permission. The routine resupply mission was quickly seen in Canada as a threat to Canadian sovereignty.

“If we believe that we are really an independent country,” Donat Pharand, then a professor at the University of Ottawa, said in a CBC report at the time, “well then I think we should exercise whatever control is necessary.”

For me it went wrong in 2014 when Putin invaded Ukraine's Crimea oblast. I once lived in Crimea near Yalta.

Any other questions?

There's a term for it: [insert name here] Derangement Syndrome. In this case its PDS.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-09-04/who-controls-northwest-passage-its-debate
breaking :
"US warship challenges Russia claims in Sea of Japan
Navy sails USS McCampbell near contested waters"

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/politics/us-warship-challenges-russia-claims-in-sea-of-japan

The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) enshrines the concept of innocent passage through a coastal state’s territorial sea. Passage is innocent so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the coastal state. A vessel in innocent passage may traverse the coastal state’s territorial sea continuously and expeditiously, not stopping or anchoring except in force majeure situations.

United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

Sounds like an Oceania malady. My condolences.

Back
Top Bottom