• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia outraged at 'Merchant of Death' extradition

Solace

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Russians don't seem to happy that Thailand is extraditing the 'Merchant of Death' to the US.

2010111745839315580_20.jpg

Sergei Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, has said his country would support suspected arms dealer Victor Bout "by all means" and called his extradition to the United States an "extreme injustice."

Bout, a Russian national, arrived in New York on Wednesday to face charges in the US, after Thailand backed a US request for his extradition following a long legal battle.

The 43-year-old former Soviet air force officer, dubbed the "Merchant of Death," faces accusations of trafficking arms since the 1990s to dictators and conflict zones in Africa, South America and the Middle East.

Bout had been fighting extradition since he was arrested in March 2008 in Bangkok in a US-led sting operation.

Read more: Russia rages at Bout extradition - Asia-Pacific - Al Jazeera English

:rofl

Gotta love Russia. Being outraged over the bringing to justice of a international criminal, why am I not surprised.

:rofl

Gotta love Russia. Being outraged over the bringing to justice of a international criminal, why am I not surprised.

On the other hand, if an American were extradited to Russia, we'd probably react about the same.

Did he actually commit a crime against the U.S.? Why is he being extradited there?

On the other hand, if an American were extradited to Russia, we'd probably react about the same.

A fair point for sure.

I don't really care who brings him in, I want the bastard nailed to the wall.

He's probably caused misery and death for 1000's of my people, perhaps even hundreds of thousands.

A fair point for sure.

I don't really care who brings him in, I want the bastard nailed to the wall.

He's probably caused misery and death for 1000's of my people, perhaps even hundreds of thousands.

Silly jetboogieman, not-Americans aren't people.

If there is evidence to prove the charges it's all well and good but then there is this:
US officials allege Bout has used this network to move weapons around the world since the 1990s.

"Viktor Bout has been indicted in the United States, but his alleged arms trafficking activity and support of armed conflicts in Africa has been a cause of concern around the world. His extradition is a victory for the rule of law worldwide," Eric Holder, the US attorney general, said in a statement.

"Long considered one of the world's most prolific arms traffickers, Mr. Bout will now appear in federal court in Manhattan to answer to charges of conspiring to sell millions of dollars worth of weapons to a terrorist organization for use in trying to kill Americans," Holder said.

Because of his track record I don't trust nor do I believe anything Holder says or does.

I'm thinking If this was a member of the New Black Panthers he'd be brought here so Holder could determine there was not enough evidence for a trial, and let him go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom