• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia 'meddled in all big social media' in US election, says report

I don't know. But I'd like to have my conservative brothers and sisters on board with me, trying to fix the issue, instead of trying to ignore it because it got your boy elected. At the end of the day, interference into our electoral process isn't allowed by American Citizens in some cases. Why do Russians get a pass?

I would like to think FB and social media in general ought to be held accountable for whom they allow to post specific things. It's one thing for me to make up a meme - it's another for the Kremlin to direct and pay for people to make memes so they can undermine the integrity of NATO, which we -all- know is the Kremlin's true target.

Tell us how you want to fix it.

Okay the paranoia is to be expected and it isn't even necessarily counterproductive as Russia is a viable threat and foreign interference is the new frount. But as I have said on other threads on this topic: this report by "University of Oxford's Computational Propaganda Project" is an Open Societys Foundation project started in 2016, which is a highly suspcious source of analysis even if worthy of review.

When I read stuff like these statements though then I get more worried:

Russia is nothing but a puny 3rd world country with a 3rd World economy and they can't use their nukes without us turning their cities to glass.... You expect us to be scared of that?
Yes! MAD / War with Russia should still scare anyone even if Russia is far less developed.

Russian nationals do not have freedom of speech or freedom of expression under our constitution. Those rights extend only to citizens. Why are you not ok with illegal immigrants taking jobs, but you are OK with Russians, on command of Moscow, interjecting themselves into our process of free speech?
Of course they are not legally protected under the constitution, but that does change free speech as a founding principle. So I would hope we all could agree 'Russia Propaganda' would still be allowed to be discussed and debated via the principles of free speech even if it should be labeled as such.

Prosecuted? Facebook and twitter executives. They allowed this to happen and the Kremlin ordered it. Why the hell do you think those suits are now dragging their asses to give up information on this russian campaign?You guys need to get with the times.
:shock:

We need to do something to ensure malignant foreign powers do not have the access to infect our populace and our elections to their own benefit.

Yes, yes...you've made that position very clear already.

My questions, over and over, have been "what do you think we should do?"

Yes, yes...you've made that position very clear already.

My questions, over and over, have been "what do you think we should do?"

Anything paid for by a foreign government needs to be removed. Foreign governments have no legal right to intrude or sway american opinion in this fashion. FB and Twitter CLEARLY have far more data than they're letting on.

I wonder why?

Anything paid for by a foreign government needs to be removed. Foreign governments have no legal right to intrude or sway american opinion in this fashion. FB and Twitter CLEARLY have far more data than they're letting on.

I wonder why?

What do we do about foreign publications that publish pro and con articals about politicians and elections ??

I wonder why?

Do you include news media?

If they present something from Russian government officials, should that be removed? Or, should it only be removed is you think they are trying to sway American opinion? If so, who decides if that is what's happening?

In any case, if Congress passes a law, as you seem to want, that requires FB or some other media to remove stuff from foreign governments, do you think that law should apply to DP, as well? We have a lot of non-US members who regularly voice their opinions. Perhaps that shouldn't be allowed, either?

Do you include news media?

If they present something from Russian government officials, should that be removed? Or, should it only be removed is you think they are trying to sway American opinion? If so, who decides if that is what's happening?

In any case, if Congress passes a law, as you seem to want, that requires FB or some other media to remove stuff from foreign governments, do you think that law should apply to DP, as well? We have a lot of non-US members who regularly voice their opinions. Perhaps that shouldn't be allowed, either?

LOL Stop confusing the issue. These Russian trolls are pretending to be Americans and defrauding the American people. Are you saying that fraud is protected by free speech? Our laws are quite clear that fraud is a crime and our election laws forbid foreign Govt.s from ANY involvement in our elections on top of that. Any American who knowingly helps a foreign Govt. in breaking election laws are equally guilty and that includes laundering foreign money that is illegally contributed to campaigns.

Last edited:
Keep dodging. :lamo

So you your answer is yes. Do you approve of Flynn accepting (and hiding) a $600,000 payoff from Turkey while acting as Trump's Nation Security advisor? Is that the kind of "political engagement" you are talking about? The Judge told Flynn that he sold out his country today and it seems it might to apply to you too.

I am happy for you. My experience is the opposite. I know plenty of folks that voted for trump because they believed the lies these memes proposed about Hillary. Moreover, you do realize people discuss things they see on FB outside of FB? I know people who discussed the lies they saw. You think that **** doesn't filter out to the general public, including those people you know who voted against Hillary because of some bogus lie?

Just to be clear, Hillary and her husband are both crooks, and I and many others have known that at least since he was in the WH.

Neither I nor many of my friends need Russian ads to explain her criminality to us. FYI, I voted for the other woman in that fiasco.

Russiagate is a modern example of the masses admiring the Emperor's New Clothes. Funny in a perverse way. Barnum noted there is a sucker born every minute. That is still true today, of course.

The suckers who bought into DJT's shtick, and the suckers who bought into Russia stealing Hillary's election. Comical yet sad.

Yeah Jack, $4700 spent with Google is just such a huge effort by the Russkies, eh? :lol:

Instagram was a bigger Russian election tool than Facebook, Senate report says
In 2017 Russian-backed fake social media accounts targeting U.S. public posted nearly 6,000 times on Instagram and over 4,000 times on Facebook per month with reposts at better than 10x.

Instagram was a bigger Russian election tool than Facebook, Senate report says
In 2017 Russian-backed fake social media accounts targeting U.S. public posted nearly 6,000 times on Instagram and over 4,000 times on Facebook per month with reposts at better than 10x.

I don't use either, so I cannot appreciate your point I guess.

They continue to make a mountain out of a molehill regarding Russian influence in the election. I have a handful of good friends who actually believe the Russians stole the election from Hillary. I can only chuckle, and wonder how they would have responded to PT Barnum back in the day.

Is Trump The Toughest Ever On Russia?

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/20/630659379/is-trump-the-toughest-ever-on-russia

President Trump is tougher on Russia in 18 months than Obama in eight years

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...n-russia-in-18-months-than-obama-in-eight?amp

Despite the Apparent Bromance, Trump Has Been Tough on Russia

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.time...arent-bromance-trump-has-been-tough-on-russia

The Trump campaign was in back channel negotiations to lift current sanctions on Russia if elected.

Trump has suggested, more or less explicitly, that he would be inclined to recognize Putin’s seizure of Crimea. U.S. policy, as well as the policy of NATO and most nations, has been that the annexation was illegal and illegitimate and must be reversed. Only a handful of countries—notably Cuba, Syria, North Korea, Venezuela—have recognized it.

The Trump administration attempted to hand back to Russia two diplomatic compounds, near New York City and on Maryland's Eastern Shore, from which its officials were ejected in late December as punishment for Moscow's interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Despite a near unanimous, veto-proof bill sanctioning Russia for its interference in the 2016 election, it took months for Trump to even begin to implement any of the sanctions. When UN Ambassador Nikki Haley stated that America would place more sanctions on Russia for its role in Syrian chemical weapons attacks, Trump walked it back saying she was confused.

Based on Trump’s record doing of everything he can to appease Vladamir Putin, it’s not shocking to discover that Trump has quietly snuck a “special rule” into the annual defense policy bill that would allow the Trump administration to waive some sanctions on American allies who purchase weapons from Russia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46590890

Russia allegedly used every major social media platform to influence the 2016 US election, a report claims.

Research is expected to say YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram and PayPal - as well as Facebook and Twitter - were leveraged to spread propaganda.
=====================================
The 2 reports to be published this week paint a dark picture of a highly organized & skilled effort by Russian military intelligence to influence the 2016 in Trump's favor. With the narrow margin of his victory, the Russian effort paid off apparently. Putin got what he wanted: chaos & discord in the U.S. government.

'Its authors criticise the "belated and uncoordinated response" by tech firms.' Social media was successfully weaponized by the Russians.

The most important element in these reports is that the Russian effort is continuing with an apparent objective of influencing the 2020 election in Trump's favor.

WOW, the Russians altered the election, and they did it without spending a dime. Opposed to Hillary who spent 1.2 Billion and Trump only spent 600 million and won.

Hillary Clinton and her supporters spent a record $1.2 billion for her losing presidential campaign — twice as much as the winner, Donald Trump, according to the latest records.

https://nypost.com/2016/12/09/hillary-clintons-losing-campaign-cost-a-record-1-2b/

I would suggest Hillary should have used Social Media.

Should all foreigners be banned from engaging in American politics?

a decades-old federal law bars foreign involvement in U.S. elections

“Regulating the activities of foreign nationals is not only a form of protecting self-government and democratic processes, but it’s also a form of protecting the country itself,” said GOP campaign finance lawyer Jan Baran of law firm Wiley Rein.

Donald Trump won the electoral votes of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania by a combined 77,744 popular votes.

Russian 2016 Influence Operation Targeted African-Americans on Social Media

Russian trolls tried to turn off African-American voters in 2016, when fewer African-Americans voted

Census shows pervasive decline in 2016 minority voter turnout

Wisconsin, a state won by Trump by only 10,704 votes, saw turnout among African-Americans down from 73.7% who voted in 2012 to 45.1% in 2016. A 27 point decrease. Michigan saw a lower turnout in traditionally Democratic areas and higher turnout in some rural and traditionally Republican areas compared to the 2012 election. In Ohio and Pennsylvania a 2012 black turnout advantage either reversed or was eliminated in 2016 due to declines in black turnout.

Russian social-media meddling could very well have had a significant impact on the 2016 election in Trumps favor.

I don't use either, so I cannot appreciate your point I guess.

They continue to make a mountain out of a molehill regarding Russian influence in the election. I have a handful of good friends who actually believe the Russians stole the election from Hillary. I can only chuckle, and wonder how they would have responded to PT Barnum back in the day.

Things posted on those platforms are not isolated there. They become the café talk from friends that people buy into.

Blatant evidence of the success of Russian troll memes is the number of people on DP who believe Hilary sold uranium to Russia.

Things posted on those platforms are not isolated there. They become the café talk from friends that people buy into.

Blatant evidence of the success of Russian troll memes is the number of people on DP who believe Hilary sold uranium to Russia.

Wait, so Uranium one is a meme of Russian trolls? You mean that sale never happened?

a decades-old federal law bars foreign involvement in U.S. elections

“Regulating the activities of foreign nationals is not only a form of protecting self-government and democratic processes, but it’s also a form of protecting the country itself,” said GOP campaign finance lawyer Jan Baran of law firm Wiley Rein.

Cite the law

First amendment only covers U.S. citizens.

The 1st Amendment protects all free speech in The United States, regardless of the person's citizenship status.

Cite the law

I thought Michael Cohen was the worst lawyer in the US;
[USC03] 52 USC 30121: Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

§30121. Contributions and donations by foreign nationals
(a) Prohibition
It shall be unlawful for-
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make-
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.”

You need “foreign” defined as well?

Back
Top Bottom