• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia jets make 'simulated attack' on US warship in 'aggressive' Baltic incident

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Russia was accused of “aggression” on Wednesday after two jet fighters carried out practise attacks on a US destroyer, flying so low over the warship they created a “wake in the water”.
The Su-24 strike aircraft swept past the USS Donald Cook at a height of only 30ft as the vessel steamed through international waters in the Baltic. Link.

Flypasts happen, spy ships and all sorts of other silliness at sea but this flypast really seems to be pushing the boundaries.

Story being reported elsewhere:

Russian warplanes 'aggressively' pass US missile destroyer - BBC News

U.S. says Russian planes buzzed Navy ship in Baltic Sea | CTV News

Really stupid acts here - similar to Russian planes flying without identifier beacons recently because of tensions in Ukraine.

They passed at 30'?

THIRTY FEET!!!!!

That's beyond provocative.

This seems to be a video of the incident.

Flypasts happen, spy ships and all sorts of other silliness at sea but this flypast really seems to be pushing the boundaries.

Really stupid acts here - similar to Russian planes flying without identifier beacons recently because of tensions in Ukraine.

Nothing new here. Ships have been buzzed by Russians jets for the past 50 years. US and Soviet/Russian subs have been bumping into each other for that long also.

That was not cool, but I'm sure the fleet saw them coming. I suppose you could light them up with targeting radar briefly just to let them know the next pass is considered hostile.

There is not a lot you can do other than that.

They weren't within 30'

Yeah. That figure came from the first article and the article I pulled the video from says 75' but from what I saw it looked more than that too. Not much more but probably inside 200'.

Yeah. That figure came from the first article and the article I pulled the video from says 75' but from what I saw it looked more than that too. Not much more but probably inside 200'.

Those jets were a good 300-400 feet away from the ship. Trust me.........I have seen hundreds of fly by's and buzzes.

Those jets were a good 300-400 feet away from the ship. Trust me.........I have seen hundreds of fly by's and buzzes.

That video yeah - I'd say around 300 feet. Did you read how today was the 3rd such incident to the Donald Cook though?
On Monday, a pair of Russian Su-24 planes made 20 close passes over the Cook, coming as close as 1,000 yards at an altitude of about 100 feet..
On Tuesday, a Russian KA-26 submarine-hunting helicopter circled the Cook seven times, taking photographs.

Later that day, another pair of Su-24 attack planes, apparently unarmed, buzzed the Cook 11 times. At one point,
at least one of the planes came within 30 feet of the ship in what the U.S. official said was a highly unusual manoeuvre.

Time for us to learn a lesson from the Turks, next time they get that close turn them into fish food, it is the only think a Russian understands.

Time for us to learn a lesson from the Turks, next time they get that close turn them into fish food, it is the only think a Russian understands.

Russia might not be the same old Soviet Union, but they have enough power to take us down a hundred times over.

Their submarines are every bit as capable as ours, and that is what it will come down to if we ever screw with them.

Nothing new here. Ships have been buzzed by Russians jets for the past 50 years. US and Soviet/Russian subs have been bumping into each other for that long also.

Agreed...no big deal.

It's no biggie. We flip em the bird, and they show us their Elvis album covers through threw the wind screen.

It is, Putin has pulled out tactics not used since Soviet times, He is saying " WE'RE BACK!"

It is, Putin has pulled out tactics not used since Soviet times, He is saying " WE'RE BACK!"

No it's not. Putin is more a of "frenemie" ( we tolerate each other, but we don't take warm showers together)

He has no intentions of hostilities against America.

Putins Propaganda Machine:

Washington’s reaction to the incident seems in contradiction to its own actions in the South China Sea. In response to Beijing’s construction of artificial islands in the Spratly archipelago, the US Navy has conducted several aggressive patrols within the 12-mile territorial limit of the islands.

The Pentagon has also launched numerous surveillance flights through Chinese airspace to monitor the progress of the land reclamation projects.
Beijing has similarly warned Washington against these aggressive actions.

Read more: 'Aggressive': Pentagon Decries 'Simulated Attack' by Russian Jets in Baltic

For those who did not get the memo that Russia and China are forming a team to counter the West, especially but not only in the region.

The Donald Cook was the ship involved in a similar incident within the last year. I wonder if this is 'warmed over' news from BBC?

NASA used to partner with the Russians not that long ago.

look at the still: Pretty close even if not quite 30...

https://twitter.com/thomaswatkins/status/720325821358084096/photo/1

He was still 300' away easily. At 200', you can easily see the pilots face/helmet. Don't forget also.....how big these jets actually are. The picture in my mind is about 300' I live in the largest jet town in the world and see them fly over my house every day. I have lost shingles from them..............seriously. I get super pissed when the Blue Angels are in town every year.....lmao. (Oceana Naval Master Jet Base)

Friggen Air Dales! ;)

That is not the point, the point is that we cant trust our government to tell us the truth because they are so often found to be lying to us.

Uh huh. Because there's nothing like kicking off a massive war over something which has happened hundreds of times over the past fifty years to show the world that we're a bunch of morons.

As for the other matter.....:roll:

The Donald Cook was the ship involved in a similar incident within the last year. I wonder if this is 'warmed over' news from BBC?
Is there anything that happens in your world that's not a conspiracy

Back
Top Bottom