• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Russia Expels Abc News!!!

gordontravels

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The government of Russia has formally expelled ABC News according to the New York Times in today's edition. ABC's Nightline recently ran an interview the network did with Shamil Basayev, the Chechen rebel leader responsible for ordering or taking part in terrorist attacks against Russia and the Chechen government. This included the attack on the school in Beslan in September when 330 people were killed, mostly school children.

Formal complaints have been made through diplomatic channels. This the New York Times calls "unusual". A Russan spokesman said that as "accreditations" expire for ABC reporters in Russia they will not be renewed. There was no indication on how long the expulsion which in effect is a ban on ABC will be in effect in Russia. The spokesman also said that no government officials will cooperate with ABC in any way while their accreditations run their course and the reporters or other employees are expelled. This action will be prosecuted against the entire ABC News organization in Russia and all employees of ABC News.

ABC said it could not allow "any government to deter us from reporting the news fully and accurately." "The mission of a free press is to cover news events, even those involving illegal acts, to help our audience better understand the important issues that confront us all."

In the interview the terrorist claimed that Russians had shot down two passenger airliners. He had previously said that two suicide bombers working for him had blown them up. Aside from this the interview showed him to be inaccurate, confused at times and contradicting statements he had previously made.

I have to wonder what I would think if ABC did an interview with Osama and allowed him to spew his hatred for America. We do see parts of his tapes that are made available to Al Jazeera but what would it be like to watch an American news organization giving him free reign in an interview. Of course I am keeping in mind that he attacked my country and killed approximately 3000 American and foreign workers including Muslims from the Middle East.

My initial reaction to this news out of Russia is that ABC, considering the source, went too far.
:duel :cool:

I think it's really rather funny, Russia is not going to allow these liberals news agencies to give air time to terrorists, good for them. Now that's just my first knee jerk reaction, as I worry Russia has been backsliding in to her communist ways once again, and this is very alarming indeed.

Deegan said:
I think it's really rather funny, Russia is not going to allow these liberals news agencies to give air time to terrorists, good for them. Now that's just my first knee jerk reaction, as I worry Russia has been backsliding in to her communist ways once again, and this is very alarming indeed.

A very good point of "backsliding" with which I agree. I have always felt that just because Russia is a "democracy" doesn't mean the Communist Party or it's ideals and influence is dead. Stalin was around for something like 50 years with his infuence and the Communist Party is still powerful in Russia.

For those who don't know, Al Jazeera is coming to the United States. They will have an english broadcast channel and I believe it will be a cable channel. Here is a conflict for me and that conflict will show between what I am about to write and what I wrote to begin this thread:

I want to see and hear what Al Jazeera has to say including the words of terrorists even including that perversion of Islam, Osama. I believe that one's words can inspire those who agree and repel those who don't. It happens so frequently here in this forum. I just answered a poster here that wants to equate the French Resistance in WWII with terrorism. We sure run the gamut here between those who understand and those who fabricate.

Should Osama have a voice in our country and a network that gives him a place to share his views? I think in our country Al Jazeera should be afforded that which Al Franken, Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh enjoy. We should welcome them just as we do ABC, CBS or the Fox News Channel. Freedom is what we are all about while remembering you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

I think it will be interesting to see those like Osama who are in for a surprise when they die. I think the first thing they will hear when they cross over will be the word "fire" shouted very very loud. Martyrs my ass.

Originally Posted by gordontravels:
For those who don't know, Al Jazeera is coming to the United States. They will have an english broadcast channel and I believe it will be a cable channel. Here is a conflict for me and that conflict will show between what I am about to write and what I wrote to begin this thread:

I want to see and hear what Al Jazeera has to say including the words of terrorists even including that perversion of Islam, Osama. I believe that one's words can inspire those who agree and repel those who don't. It happens so frequently here in this forum. I just answered a poster here that wants to equate the French Resistance in WWII with terrorism. We sure run the gamut here between those who understand and those who fabricate.

Should Osama have a voice in our country and a network that gives him a place to share his views? I think in our country Al Jazeera should be afforded that which Al Franken, Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh enjoy. We should welcome them just as we do ABC, CBS or the Fox News Channel. Freedom is what we are all about while remembering you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater.
Al Jazeera is no different than any other news outlet. The Administration makes them out to be the flag waiver for terrorism, which is not the case. I had to see for myself what they were all about. So I surfed over to thier website and was somewhat surprised by the balanced reporting.

As for yelling fire in a crowded theatre, you most certainly CAN if, in fact, there happens to be a FIRE in that crowded theatre! It's only wrong, when there isn't. Protesting the government is not done without probable cause. Even though that is not needed anymore thanks to the Patriot Act.

It is interesting how you bring up Al Jazeera when our media has a few problems of its own. But you did indicate they should be thought of in the same light.

iraqcelebrate4xh.jpg
bushosamashrug0fk.jpg

I think Russia is on the right track for once. Now if we can only do away with ABC news oursleves. :lol:

This man that was interviewed was responsible for the deaths of over 300 at a school. The terrorists, at his direction, had taken the school hostage. Most of those who died were children, over 200. I don't blame the Russians for being angry at ABC News.

Forgive me for my lack of maybe the proper number but I think 14 children and 1 teacher died at Columbine. Our media went after gun manufacturers and every one else they could go after. Imagine if those children has been the victims of terrorists such as ELF. Still think Russia was bad for kicking ABC out? If their emotional connection to the school children led them to do what they did to ABC News then I think ABC News should have understood the consequences of what they had decided to do. Accountability?

Man I agree with Gordon again on the same day. The stars must be aligned. :lol:

gordontravels said:
This man that was interviewed was responsible for the deaths of over 300 at a school. The terrorists, at his direction, had taken the school hostage. Most of those who died were children, over 200. I don't blame the Russians for being angry at ABC News.

Forgive me for my lack of maybe the proper number but I think 14 children and 1 teacher died at Columbine. Our media went after gun manufacturers and every one else they could go after. Imagine if those children has been the victims of terrorists such as ELF. Still think Russia was bad for kicking ABC out? If their emotional connection to the school children led them to do what they did to ABC News then I think ABC News should have understood the consequences of what they had decided to do. Accountability?

Exactly what should they be held accountable for? They reported a valid and newsworthy story. If Russia wants to ban ABC, that is up to them. To say that ABC is wrong for doing what they did is wrong itself. They have every right to report what they want.

alex said:
Exactly what should they be held accountable for? They reported a valid and newsworthy story. If Russia wants to ban ABC, that is up to them. To say that ABC is wrong for doing what they did is wrong itself. They have every right to report what they want.

Maybe you don't really understand. They committed a crime. If the two shooters at Columbine took to the hills and ABC did an interview with them after our government had identified them as the shooters do you think ABC should just be able to do their interview and walk away.

This terrorist was responsible and took responsibility for murdering over 200 school children and ABC is supposed to interview him and the Russians just drink their coffee? Tell me you wouldn't support that under the guise that ABC did no wrong. I am afraid you don't understand rights. Rights extend to what is lawful and not to murders. If these were rebels who killed Russian troups then you might have an argument but when it is a school and children killed, you can take your rights where the terrorists think you should.

Just because you think something is newsworthy doesn't make it either moral or legal and I think that was ABC's problem. If a tape would have been sent that would be one thing but ABC went to the source and solicited answers from the murderer. You sure don't hear ABC making any noise about it; they shut up real quick as did the rest of the media. ABC was wrong and I have no problem saying it. It's simple to me; children under 10 shouldn't be murdered in mass, either 14 or hundreds.

Back
Top Bottom