• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia denies wrongdoing after jet barrel-rolls over U.S. aircraft

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Sun April 17, 2016

5713557fc03c0e7118e6174f.jpg

U.S. RC-135 reconnaissance aircraft - stock photo

Washington (CNN)A U.S. Air Force reconnaissance plane was barrel-rolled by a Russian jet over the Baltic Sea during a routine flight in international airspace, U.S. European Command said Saturday, but Russia disputed that account. The incident Thursday occurred when a Russian jet "performed erratic and aggressive maneuvers" as it flew within 50 feet of the U.S. aircraft's wing tip, Danny Hernandez, a spokesman for U.S. European Command, said in a response to a question from CNN.

The Russian Su-27 began the barrel roll from the left side of the U.S. RC-135 and went over the top of it to end on the right side of the aircraft, European Command said. The RC-135 aircraft was "intercepted by a Russian SU-27 in an unsafe and unprofessional manner," Hernandez said, adding that the U.S. plane never entered Russian territory. "The unsafe and unprofessional actions of a single pilot have the potential to unnecessarily escalate tensions between countries," said Hernandez, who added the United States is protesting with the Russian government.

As with the USS Donald Cook incident last week, yet another example of dangerous and highly unprofessional conduct by the Russian military in international territory.

Simpleχity;1065777215 said:

As with the USS Donald Cook incident last week, yet another example of dangerous and highly unprofessional conduct by the Russian military in international territory.

It's difficult to ignore what could happen if these foolish maneuvers result in a shoot down response from a USS Donald Cook type ship, or a mid-air collision, all while in international airspace/waters.

Simpleχity;1065777215 said:

"Unprofessional" is probably not the right word as they were operating on orders from the Kremlin.

It's difficult to ignore what could happen if these foolish maneuvers result in a shoot down response from a USS Donald Cook type ship, or a mid-air collision, all while in international airspace/waters.
It wouldn't be a question if we had strong leadership.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Putin has no respect for Obama. He toys with him like an impotent clown.

A strong leader would have started WW3 by now. Or at least sent a nasty letter. :roll:

It wouldn't be a question if we had strong leadership.

Agreed. I have to imagine the military's response would be considerably different than what the current leadership is allowing them to say. It's a very dangerous game Russia is playing, and the current administration seems willing to encourage more of the same.

A strong leader would have started WW3 by now. Or at least sent a nasty letter. :roll:

So we should simply tolerate these provocations with no response whatsoever?

So we should simply tolerate these provocations with no response whatsoever?

When a US spy plane operates in International airspace very near the border of a Foreign Nation (Russia), that act can be interpretted as a provocation. Ergo, a reciprocation, in kind, is expected. This is just the US propaganda narrative operating in the Mass Media trying to give the Russians a black eye. In fact, the USA is the provocateur in this matter. 8000 miles away from USA borders, don't ya' know?

When a US spy plane operates in International airspace very near the border of a Foreign Nation (Russia), that act can be interpretted as a provocation. Ergo, a reciprocation, in kind, is expected. This is just the US propaganda narrative operating in the Mass Media trying to give the Russians a black eye. In fact, the USA is the provocateur in this matter. 8000 miles away from USA borders, don't ya' know?
Lol.....

And the hate America first crowd weighs in.

God to love everyone talking about how we need to be 'tough' and shouldn't tolerate this. Because shooting down a Russian jet is a brilliant idea.

We along with most of the powers on this planet, have played this game for decades. Will it get out of hand one day?

We shall see.

It is no big deal.

We can and do the same thing to them.

There are several reasons Putin keeps doing it. One, he gets good press in Russia. They don't have a press that tells the public that both sides do it, and if the USA chose they could easily have shot them down, and that we have an agreement that we can harass each other and not start a war.

We "get" the Russians, and they "get" us. We have a pansy for a president, they rub our noses in it. They are more worried about who us up next.

In an emergency, if they asked, we'd probably refuel that same jet for them.

a barrel roll? launch the nukes!

I dunno. America thought it was kinda cool when Tom Cruise inverted his jet and went canopy to canopy with the Russian MIG while Goose snapped the photo in Top Gun.

Has anyone ever seen an eagle fly over a corn field? There are usually birds of a lesser feather darting and dodging at the eagle, harassing each and every wing flap, in hopes of running the eagle out of their territory.

I think it's important to note which country is the eagle and which country is the pesky sparrow.

I get the implication and it pisses me off too. But it's good to be the eagle, just the same. Russia know that if they harm one American hair in their childish acts of bravado, the wrath of hell will rain down on them.

You are showing your resentment of the U.S. by trying to spread anti-American propaganda. International airspace is open to all this nation's aircraft, and it is not one iota less open because it is far from the U.S., or near to some other nation. The government of Russia may interpret legitimate flights by U.S. aircraft any way it chooses, and we may interpret actions by Russia's military aircraft and warships any way we choose. The short-term remedy for this sort of thing is of the same kind that's called for when the other team's pitcher purposely throws at one of your batters: return the favor. In the long run, the remedy is to elect a president who is not a limpwristed, anti-American Marxist like the person now disgracing the White House.

Lol.....

And the hate America first crowd weighs in.

If you can refute anything in my post, please do so. I was an aircrewman in reconnaissance aircraft and know the drill. If you don't know anything, try not to be so obvious about it. Everyone will know, don't ya' know?

I dunno. America thought it was kinda cool when Tom Cruise inverted his jet and went canopy to canopy with the Russian MIG while Goose snapped the photo in Top Gun.

Has anyone ever seen an eagle fly over a corn field? There are usually birds of a lesser feather darting and dodging at the eagle, harassing each and every wing flap, in hopes of running the eagle out of their territory.

I think it's important to note which country is the eagle and which country is the pesky sparrow.

I get the implication and it pisses me off too. But it's good to be the eagle, just the same. Russia know that if they harm one American hair in their childish acts of bravado, the wrath of hell will rain down on them.
Don't know right now if the response wouldn't be an apology for making the Russian's do that harm.

You are showing your resentment of the U.S. by trying to spread anti-American propaganda. International airspace is open to all this nation's aircraft, and it is not one iota less open because it is far from the U.S., or near to some other nation. The government of Russia may interpret legitimate flights by U.S. aircraft any way it chooses, and we may interpret actions by Russia's military aircraft and warships any way we choose. The short-term remedy for this sort of thing is of the same kind that's called for when the other team's pitcher purposely throws at one of your batters: return the favor. In the long run, the remedy is to elect a president who is not a limpwristed, anti-American Marxist like the person now disgracing the White House.

All I can suggest is that you make an appointment with a sympathetic therapist. I have no resentment of the US. I was an aircrewman in reconaissance aircraft and actually know how all of this works. Been there, done that.

All I can suggest is that you make an appointment with a sympathetic therapist. I have no resentment of the US. I was an aircrewman in reconaissance aircraft and actually know how all of this works. Been there, done that.

What you may have done in what aircraft does not interest me. It is irrelevant to your claim that the U.S. was the provocateur in this case and that blaming the Russians is "propaganda." When the U.S. is flying its aircraft normally in international airspace, anywhere in the world, it is entirely within its rights. Your actions speak louder than your words--no one who did not resent the U.S. would blame it for having one of its reconnaissance aircraft interfered with in this way by a foreign military aircraft.

If you can refute anything in my post, please do so. I was an aircrewman in reconnaissance aircraft and know the drill. If you don't know anything, try not to be so obvious about it. Everyone will know, don't ya' know?

If it was an occasional instance of you blaming America first, that would be one thing. But it is the theme of all your comments.

I seriously doubt a crewman is privy to much inside information, so please, give me a break. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom