• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia claims Syrian rebels have used sarin gas

DA60

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'Russia's envoy to the UN has handed over evidence which indicates Syrian rebels used sarin gas in an attack in March.'

Vitaly Churkin said Russian experts had been to the scene of an attack at Khan al-Assal near Aleppo and had gathered firsthand evidence.

Syria's government has refused to let a UN inspection team into the country, but this week invited UN officials for talks on launching an investigation.

Mr Churkin said the Russian inquiry had "established" that rebel forces had fired a Bashar 3 missile at the town, killing 26 people, including 16 troops.

"The results of the analysis clearly indicate that the ordinance used in Khan al-Assal was not industrially manufactured and was filled with sarin," Mr Churkin said.

"There is every reason to believe that it was the armed opposition fighters who used chemical weapons in Khan al-Assal."'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...claims-Syrian-rebels-have-used-sarin-gas.html

Clearly, Russia has a bias in this matter AND this info must be taken with a large grain of salt.

But, frankly, it makes a whole lot more sense to me then the reverse.

Why on Earth would Assad authorize the use of chemical weapons - when he knew full well that to do so would invite America to start arming his enemies?

It makes zip sense.

What makes good sense is the rebels using them (after all, they had captured large numbers of weapons from Syria when they overran some military bases early in the conflict...some of which may have contained chemical weapons).

They were not doing as well lately as earlier on and to stage a chemical attack and blame it on Assad would force America to help them.

I believe one of two things:

One, that the rebels staged the attack to draw America in.

Two, some lower level government soldier took it upon himself to use them without Assad's say so. Maybe a defecting officer who wanted to draw America into the fight.

But it defies believe that Assad would have authorized a small chemical attack that EVERYONE knew would force Obama to act (as he had promised he would earlier).

Clearly, Russia has a bias in this matter AND this info must be taken with a large grain of salt.
Well, one of Saddam's generals makes the claim that Saddam's WMD went to Syria. i don't find such claims outlandish at all.

I question the rebel ability to capture the Syrian stockpile of sarin gas, and like you mentioned Russia is the last person I will listen to on this matter.

I question the rebel ability to capture the Syrian stockpile of sarin gas, and like you mentioned Russia is the last person I will listen to on this matter.

Well they have better credibility than the US on the matter in the Middle East... you know the whole WMD in Iraq failure and lies.

But, frankly, it makes a whole lot more sense to me then the reverse.

Why on Earth would Assad authorize the use of chemical weapons - when he knew full well that to do so would invite America to start arming his enemies?

It makes zip sense.

What makes good sense is the rebels using them (after all, they had captured large numbers of weapons from Syria when they overran some military bases early in the conflict...some of which may have contained chemical weapons).

They were not doing as well lately as earlier on and to stage a chemical attack and blame it on Assad would force America to help them.

I believe one of two things:

One, that the rebels staged the attack to draw America in.

Two, some lower level government soldier took it upon himself to use them without Assad's say so. Maybe a defecting officer who wanted to draw America into the fight.

But it defies believe that Assad would have authorized a small chemical attack that EVERYONE knew would force Obama to act (as he had promised he would earlier).

First, I doubt that wimp in the WH will do anything of substance other than waver.

Secondly, if the rebels have these weapons, why not use them directly* against Assad and the regime leaders (given the chance) rather than in some insignificant battle?

What makes you think that Russia has a bias and the United States does not? Clearly, you have a bias.
:rolleyes:

Where exactly did I say that the States don't have a bias as well?

First, I doubt that wimp in the WH will do anything of substance other than waver.

Secondly, if the rebels have these weapons, why not use them directly* against Assad and the regime leaders (given the chance) rather than in some insignificant battle?

Come on now, think please.

How long do you think American/EU support for the rebels would last if they started using large amounts of chemical weapons against Assad's troops?

Back
Top Bottom