• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia can shut down our electricity, China can infiltrate our gas infrastructure

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
all the while Trump, and his whole **** pile of crazy, is president

Wonderful

https://www.zdnet.com/article/cyber...-us-power-networks-warns-intelligence-report/

Both China and Russia now have the capabilities to launch cyberattacks that could at least temporarily disrupt US critical infrastructure such as gas pipelines or power networks, according to intelligence officials.
The Worldwide Threat Assessment of the US Intelligence Community is a document published each year, which itemizes the significant threats to the US and its allies. It said that currently China and Russia pose the greatest espionage and cyberattack threats to the US but also warned that other adversaries and strategic competitors will increasingly build and integrate cyber espionage, attack, and influence capabilities into their efforts to influence US policies

Did someone say something about Hillary?

Last edited:

Wonderful

I think those "intelligence officials" should just go back to school!

Wonderful

Especially during one of those nifty government shutdowns when our cybersecurity is furloughed.
If something like that DOES happen, Russia SHUTTING DOWN all or PART of the US power grid, during another shutdown, would THAT be grounds for impeachment?

Penetration by Putin, Russia, China of USA nuclear, electric and water systems in the USA. Ignored by Trump either completely or essentially.

Gen. (R) McCaffrey is the most honored and decorated Soldier to attain the rank of 4-star. The famous "Left Hook" maneuver in Desert Storm was his as McCaffrey commanded the 25th mechanized infantry division and allied forces through 25 Iraqi divisions in fewer than a hundred hours. The 'left hook' is described at West Point where McCaffrey taught after retirement as reminiscent of Caesar in Gaul.

McCaffrey is respected by four-stars active and retired across the services. So when Gen. Ret. McCaffrey speaks he speaks for a chorus of 'em...

Retired four-star Army general: Trump, 'under the sway of Putin,' threatens national security

56-off--1-1-1473706066.jpg

Gen. Norman Swartzkofp Desert Storm commander with the then Maj. Gen. Barry McCaffrey commander of mechanized 25th infantry division which executed the acclaimed 'left hook' maneuver across Iraq.

A retired four-star Army general said that he thinks President Trump is a “serious threat to US national security” because the president "is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks."

Retired Gen. Barry McCaffrey tweeted Friday that “it is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of (Russian President Vladimir) Putin.”

Barry R McCaffrey

@mccaffreyr3
Reluctantly I have concluded that President Trump is a serious threat to US national security. He is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks. It is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of Mr Putin.

4:46 AM - Mar 17, 2018

Last month, U.S. Cyber Command chief and National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he had not received any new authority from Trump to strike at Russian cyber operations. Regarding U.S. efforts to counter the Russian intrusions, Rogers said, “We’re taking steps, but we’re probably not doing enough.”

McCaffrey's remarks were echoed on MSNBC Saturday by retired United States Navy Admiral James Stavridis.

Asked by MSNBC host Alex Witt for his thoughts on McCaffrey's statement, Stavridis replied: “I know the general well. I have a lot of regard for his opinions, he does not state them loosely.” “In terms of the current situation with Russia, our president needs to understand that Vladimir Putin is no friend to the United States, that Russia is actively seeking to undermine our nation not only domestically but our foreign policy as well,” he added. “I agree with Gen. McCaffrey that our president does not spend enough time focused on the threat that is emanating from Russia today.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-putin-threat-us-national-security/434811002/

Wonderful

Red Herring, as this kind of crap has been going on for more than a few years now and we can even do this to them in turn.

Red Herring, as this kind of crap has been going on for more than a few years now and we can even do this to them in turn.

Gen. (R) McCaffrey says Trump doesn't do anything or don't you read. If you don't read then I'll say further Gen. McCaffrey says Trump is a "danger to our national security" because Trump is "under the sway of Putin."

Admiral (R) Stavridis former Nato commander shares the view of Gen. McCaffrey and endorses it. Adm. R McRaven has defended national security officials' security clearance after Trump returned from the secret meeting with Putin in Helsinki. And as if that were not enough Trump said he was seriously considering Putin's request of him to turn USA named national security officials to Putin in Moscow, to include former Ambassador Mike McFaul. There's more as anyone over there on that side would know well but continue to ignore or deny.

Potus/CinC is a danger to national security. Now Trump, You and Putin need to deal with the fact because the combined menace will not be allowed to continue much longer. You can bet the ranch on it.

Gen. (R) McCaffrey says Trump doesn't do anything or don't you read. If you don't read then I'll say further Gen. McCaffrey says Trump is a "danger to our national security" because Trump is "under the sway of Putin."

Admiral (R) Stavridis former Nato commander shares the view of Gen. McCaffrey and endorses it. Adm. R McRaven has defended national security officials' security clearance after Trump returned from the secret meeting with Putin in Helsinki. And as if that were not enough Trump said he was seriously considering Putin's request of him to turn USA named national security officials to Putin in Moscow, to include former Ambassador Mike McFaul. There's more as anyone over there on that side would know well but continue to ignore or deny.

Potus/CinC is a danger to national security. Now Trump, You and Putin need to deal with the fact because the combined menace will not be allowed to continue much longer. You can bet the ranch on it.

Alright, so when nothing comes of this hyperbolic alarmism. Much like the what has become of many other thinly veiled attempts at attacking Trump.

What am I going to say?

Should I say gotcha, or some stupid idiom like that?
Because I am seriously getting tired of this crap, as of a few months ago.

Wonderful

What? Do you think Hillary would put on her super hero cape and stop China and Russia single handed? Who is going to stop another country from developing their technology anyway? We knew China had this capability years ago, nothing was done.

Not going to defend Trump, but really? Is he responsible for everything?

Especially during one of those nifty government shutdowns when our cybersecurity is furloughed.
If something like that DOES happen, Russia SHUTTING DOWN all or PART of the US power grid, during another shutdown, would THAT be grounds for impeachment?

Would it be if it was China?

I'm more worried about China. With Russia being under such scrutiny, they can do whatever.

Wonderful

says the same crowd that is currently claiming russia hacked our elections...under obama. These TDS threads are so damn amusing.

Wonderful

Unlike leftist quacks who don't know what they are talking about, Trump doesn't go around blabbing about his secret dealings in foreign affairs. Trump is in charge, not leftist bozos with degrees in anarchy and sedition.

I didn't pay my bill, so the power company beat the Russians and Chinese to it. So you have to ask yourself who's smarter here - all you schmucks who paid only to have Putin cut it off anyway, or me.

Wonderful

This reality isn't new. This was a threat during the Obama administration.

Well the real issue here is not one of sophisticated cyber attack but one of utter US dependence on integrating technology into systems without integrating security into those self same systems nor even considering whether technology should be integrated into systems so unprepared in the security realm. It has already been proven that Russian, NK and Chinese cyber attacks are not terribly sophisticated. They were attacking wide open systems which are probably still pretty close to wide open.

Red Herring, as this kind of crap has been going on for more than a few years now and we can even do this to them in

Since when is a clear and present danger to America's natinal security, while at the same time we have an incompetent president, be a "red herring" ?

Evidence for incompetence provided on request.

Wonderful

LOL. This is not something new. Russia and China and probably some others had this very same power under Obama.

I don't see why it being China instead would make any difference, but for the record, China seems interested in interfering with our natural gas infrastructure. And one thing is for sure, government cybersecurity does not operate during government shutdowns. It didn't during this last one.

85% of staff at the National Institute of Standards and Technology and 45% of the Department of Homeland Security’s newly established Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency have been furloughed, according to a report from security platform Duo Security.

That's basically like unzipping our fly, dropping trou and bending over.

So, I'm glad that you believe deflecting to China is a nifty way of avoiding the question.
I guess you might be on record as saying that absolutely NOTHING is grounds for impeachment where Trump is concerned, or maybe you could do me a huge favor and offer a couple of instances which might be?

Or you could offer to actually answer the question:

If Russia were to suddenly plunge all or a large part of the country into darkness because their ability to do so benefited from a lack of sufficient government cybersecurity due to another shutdown, or even the last one (remember, hackers sometimes have ENORMOUS patience in waiting for opportunities to strike) would that be grounds for impeachment?

says the same crowd that is currently claiming russia hacked our elections...under obama. These TDS threads are so damn amusing.

TDS is a gimmick, an artificial construct by right wingers to puff themselves up. As such, it's an incompetent argument.

Moreover,
You do know that there is overwhelming evidence for russian hacking, right?

Unlike leftist quacks who don't know what they are talking about, Trump doesn't go around blabbing about his secret dealings in foreign affairs. Trump is in charge, not leftist bozos with degrees in anarchy and sedition.

No, Trump just goes around in secret meetings with no one to support him blabbing state secrets, such as telling Duterte the locations of nuke subs, such as telling to known russian spies about his firing of Comey, and who knows what else this incompetent boob of a president is doing, with no accountability.

And, are you kidding, Trump is blabber-in-chief, he bloviates on a daily basis.

US does not publicize its cyber conflict with China. US just does it. In US media get wind of some PLA cyber attacks and publish those they find out about. US remains publicly silent about its measures and counter measures which is fine although it can lead to it seeming one sided in favor of CCP Dictator-Tyrants in Beijing.

LOL. This is not something new. Russia and China and probably some others had this very same power under Obama.

The generals and admirals on active duty and those flag officers who are retired say Trump is doing nothing about it. Their statement is that this is a "danger to the national security" and the reason is that "Trump is under the sway of Putin." You people over there need to start getting serious and to do it post haste. This isn't going to last much longer or don't you know.

Alright, so when nothing comes of this hyperbolic alarmism. Much like the what has become of many other thinly veiled attempts at attacking Trump.

What am I going to say?

Should I say gotcha, or some stupid idiom like that?
Because I am seriously getting tired of this crap, as of a few months ago.

You can of course say any "stupid idiom" that suits your desperation at not having a viable response.

So feel free and by all means thx. Not that it would mean you might be on to something however.

The Right's posts show little or no cause of concern over Russia's or China's penetration into USA grids of nuclear, electric, water. Everything from the conservative reactionary right is China or a concocted "hyperbolic alarmism" at the Pentagon and national security agencies. The Right's ignoring of Pentagon and the national security community is revealing indeed especially when every post gives Putin a free ride in attacking US national security infrastructure.

US does not publicize its cyber conflict with China. US just does it. In US media get wind of some PLA cyber attacks and publish those they find out about. US remains publicly silent about its measures and counter measures which is fine although it can lead to it seeming one sided in favor of CCP Dictator-Tyrants in Beijing.

The generals and admirals on active duty and those flag officers who are retired say Trump is doing nothing about it. Their statement is that this is a "danger to the national security" and the reason is that "Trump is under the sway of Putin." You people over there need to start getting serious and to do it post haste. This isn't going to last much longer or don't you know.

Obama did nothing about it. In fact, Obama did nothing about Russia trying to influence the election, even going so far as giving orders to stand down and let it happen. Well, Obama did ask Russia to please stop.

I don't see why it being China instead would make any difference, but for the record, China seems interested in interfering with our natural gas infrastructure. And one thing is for sure, government cybersecurity does not operate during government shutdowns. It didn't during this last one.

That's basically like unzipping our fly, dropping trou and bending over.

So, I'm glad that you believe deflecting to China is a nifty way of avoiding the question.
I guess you might be on record as saying that absolutely NOTHING is grounds for impeachment where Trump is concerned, or maybe you could do me a huge favor and offer a couple of instances which might be?

Or you could offer to actually answer the question:

Sure. No, I don't that is impeachment worthy. And not because it's Trump. I wouldn't think it impeachment worthy if that (or other crisis) happened under any president when the govt. was shut down. Would you?

Back
Top Bottom