• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia Admits Slave Labor Used at ***** Riot Penal Colony

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

***** Riot member Nadezhda (Hope) Tolokonnikova in a Russian prison.

12/25/18
A senior prison official has been dismissed from a penal colony that Russia’s penitentiary system admitted used slave labor, five years after the accusations were floated by a member of the anti-Kremlin punk band ***** Riot. ***** Riot member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova was sent to a remote penal colony in the remote Siberian region of Mordovia for her participation in the band's anti-Putin "punk prayer" in February 2012. In 2013, Tolokonnikova alleged that she and her fellow inmates were treated as slaves and that its then-deputy warden, Yury Kupriyanov, had threatened to kill her. In comments to TASS, Maximenko accused Penal Colony No. 14’s chief warden Kupriyanov of “stuffing his pockets at the expense of the convicted women.” A secret on-site inspection had uncovered that the women were “engaged in tailoring from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m., performing under-the-counter orders,” Maximenko said. He added that Kupriyanov has been dismissed alongside other officials suspected of using prisoners’ labor.“It looks like Tolokonnikova was right,” the deputy chief of the Federal Prison Service, Valery Maximenko, told the state-run TASS news agency Monday.

Russia’s prison system has been hit by a series of abuse scandals this year after bodycam footage leaked showing guards torturing a detainee north of Moscow. Following the first wave of investigations that uncovered dozens of cases of abuse in the summer, prosecutors launched a new round of inspections after the subject of prison abuse was broached at President Vladimir Putin’s end-of-year press conference earlier this month. Tolokonnikova said the prison service’s admission of wrongdoing was “a shock” and “a burst of unearthly bliss.” “Turns out that resistance isn’t futile and that it can bear fruit after years,” she wrote on Facebook.

No surprise about the slave labor in Russia's penal colonies. What IS surprising is that someone did something about it here. Probably only because Tolokonnikova told the world about prison conditions in letters smuggled out of the facility.

Should've paid them 4 dollars a day, like in the US. Can't call it slavery if they get a wage...

Should've paid them 4 dollars a day, like in the US. Can't call it slavery if they get a wage...

Unlike in Russia's penal colonies, work is a privilege in most US prisons that has to be earned. Prisoners learn a trade and placement post-release helps reduce recidivist tendencies. Private prisons, championed by the Trump administration, earn their profit by reducing expenditures on prisoners. In the deep south, prisoners are still forced to work in cotton/sugar cane fields with a daily quota. That said, US prisoners do not have to toil for 18 hrs per day with one day off every 8 weeks like the Russian prisoners. No prison is paradise, but your attempt at equivalence here is dumbfounding.

Unlike in Russia's penal colonies, work is a privilege in most US prisons that has to be earned. Prisoners learn a trade and placement post-release helps reduce recidivist tendencies. Private prisons, championed by the Trump administration, earn their profit by reducing expenditures on prisoners. In the deep south, prisoners are still forced to work in cotton/sugar cane fields with a daily quota. That said, US prisoners do not have to toil for 18 hrs per day with one day off every 8 weeks like the Russian prisoners. No prison is paradise, but your attempt at equivalence here is dumbfounding.

It is what it is, 4 dollars a day, is 4 dollars a day. State can dress it how it wants, can spin the logic to, it's a privilege. But there are psychological components involved. And fact of the matter is, I don't believe most of the people in prison today, deserve to be there.

In fact, I believe that most people incarcerated today because of the "War on Drugs" are done so for financial gain by select industries who lobby heavily. Meaning free people, are taken and stripped of their freedom, and then broken into thinking working for 4 dollars a day is a privilege. Just so their lives can be profited off of.

No sir, you take your virtue signalling elsewhere.

I've been a prison reform advocate my entire life, and no, never been.

Russia may treat their prisoners like ****, but they didn't form an industry off stocking them with product.

It is what it is, 4 dollars a day, is 4 dollars a day. State can dress it how it wants, can spin the logic to, it's a privilege. But there are psychological components involved. And fact of the matter is, I don't believe most of the people in prison today, deserve to be there.

In fact, I believe that most people incarcerated today because of the "War on Drugs" are done so for financial gain by select industries who lobby heavily. Meaning free people, are taken and stripped of their freedom, and then broken into thinking working for 4 dollars a day is a privilege. Just so their lives can be profited off of.

In most US prisons, no one is forced to work in contrast to prisons in Russia. A prison job, in the kitchen or in janitorial is a privilege rather than an expectation.

sir, you take your virtue signalling elsewhere.

Take your false equivalence elsewhere.

I've been a prison reform advocate my entire life, and no, never been. Russia may treat their prisoners like ****, but they didn't form an industry off stocking them with product.

I've been studying the Russian penal colony system for decades. The endemic corruption, prisoner beatings, and torture are not commonalities in the US System.

In most US prisons, no one is forced to work in contrast to prisons in Russia. A prison job, in the kitchen or in janitorial is a privilege rather than an expectation.

Take your false equivalence elsewhere.

I've been studying the Russian penal colony system for decades. The endemic corruption, prisoner beatings, and torture are not commonalities in the US System.

Studied, there it is, "Haruumph, I sir, have studied the problem in depth, and can tell you my judgement on the subject is impeccable."

Like I said, virtue signalling.

Do you know why I oppose the death penalty? It's because I think a work farm in the Lousiana Swamp is a more fitting punishment. Working all day, moving one rock from this pile, to another pile. Feeling like a slave. But, getting paid just enough your not. It breaks a man's spirit.

I don't want to reform prisons and lessen punishment on those who deserve it, I'll make the punishment. I want to make it worse for them. Death is an out.

I just hate the idea that people that don't deserve it, are subject to it.

If your point is that member of ***** Riot didn't deserve it I will agree, but your argument that a Russian mobster doesn't deserve the gulag. I do not.

Difference of opinion.

4 dollars a day is good money in some countries. In Mexico, it's almost minimum wage. In Russia, it's half minimum wage. In Cuba, it's more than a physician makes. In Venezuela, it's a dream salary.

Difference of opinion.

Then why even post? And why drag the US into a thread about the Russian prison system? Just to be disagreeable?

And then try to assert an equivalence between US prison labor and Russian penal colony labor?

Geezus. At any rate, Putin & Co. thank you for your unsolicited assistance.

Then why even post? And why drag the US into a thread about the Russian prison system? Just to be disagreeable?

And then try to assert an equivalence between US prison labor and Russian penal colony labor?

Geezus. At any rate, Putin & Co. thank you for your unsolicited assistance.
The question should be.. Why do countries like Russia and the US use slave labour from prison camps?

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

The question should be.. Why do countries like Russia and the US use slave labour from prison camps?

The question should be.. Why can't inquisitive folks like you create your own threads about prison labor around the world?

The question should be.. Why can't inquisitive folks like you create your own threads about prison labor around the world?
What you don't seem to understand is you are "crying wolf", when you post these kind of stories.

Oh Russia does this and that and it is bad...fine but when it is then so obvious that other countries do the same thing or even worse, then you are exposed as nothing but a propagandist and instantly kills the thread and opens you up for ridicule and attack.

Or, why you spend so much time creating negative threads about Russia whilst ignoring what's happening in your own backyard.

Or, why you spend so much time creating negative threads about Russia whilst ignoring what's happening in your own backyard.

I never bothered with Russia until Crimea/Ukraine. That was the final straw.

I'll be here every day until the occupations end.

Allegations Of 'Systematic' Torture At Russian Prison Under Investigation

fimg_2485578-310x165.jpg

Irina Biryukova

12/27/18
A rights group in Russia says that authorities are investigating allegations of "systematic" beatings and torture at a second prison in the Yaroslavl region. The NGO Public Verdict said on December 27 that a lawyer on its staff, Irina Biryukova, was present a day earlier when Investigative Committee officers questioned four inmates who complained that they had been tortured at Corrective Colony No. 3 in the city of Uglich. According to Public Verdict, one inmate -- Aleksandr Kochergin -- claims that on October 24, he was stripped naked, forced to do 50 squats, and beaten. When he screamed that he has low immunity due to HIV, the beating continued, and he was then confined to a tiny, unheated cell under a stairway – the kind of space in which it is typically impossible to sit or stand straight. "The torture only stopped when convicts on two floors [of the unit] began to shout and bang on the doors of their cells," Public Verdict said in a statement. It said another inmate, Nurali Nurov, said he has been beaten repeatedly since 2016 -- including on his first day at the prison, when he refused to sign documents without a translation from Russian into his native language, and another time after he testified that he had seen bruises on the body of a fellow inmate. According to Biryukova, 25 inmates are considered victims in the case.

Virtually every Russian prison/penal colony utilizes physical and and/or psychological torture.

***** Riot member Nadezhda (Hope) Tolokonnikova in a Russian prison.

No surprise about the slave labor in Russia's penal colonies. What IS surprising is that someone did something about it here. Probably only because Tolokonnikova told the world about prison conditions in letters smuggled out of the facility.

I think the more likely reason is that Kupeitanov was caught using prison labor to run his own side business. No bones would have made about it if their tailoring was profiting the State.

I think the more likely reason is that Kupeitanov was caught using prison labor to run his own side business. No bones would have made about it if their tailoring was profiting the State.

This prosecution is for Western consumption because Tolokonnikova is well known in the West and her letters described the situation at IK-14 (Mordovia) in detail.

The Russian Penitentiary Service didn't give a crap about this local corruption until it made headlines around the world.

In the wake of such unflattering revelations lately about systemic torture in Russian prisons, they need all the good PR they can generate.

This prosecution is for Western consumption because Tolokonnikova is well known in the West and her letters described the situation at IK-14 (Mordovia) in detail.

The Russian Penitentiary Service didn't give a crap about this local corruption until it made headlines around the world.

In the wake of such unflattering revelations lately about systemic torture in Russian prisons, they need all the good PR they can generate.

I guess I just have a different perspective. Places like Russia and China don’t care about corruption except as a means for people higher up the food chain to settle personal or political scores or unless someone’s hands are a little too far in the till. And they know we know and they generally don’t care. Why should this be different? They don’t care what the West thinks about what’s happening in Chechnya. Why would they care about what the West thinks is happening to ***** Riot?

Last edited:
I guess I just have a different perspective. Places like Russia and China don’t care about corruption except as a means for people higher up the food chain to settle personal or political scores or unless someone’s hands are a little too far in the till. And they know we know and they generally don’t care. Why should this be different? They don’t care what the West thinks about what’s happening in Chechnya. Why would they care about what the West thinks is happening to ***** Riot?

Quite right.

'***** Riot' are an odious group who are eulogised and probably funded by a sick and depraved western media. But they're your super-stars not Russia's.

RV is totally off beam on this, reading far too much into it and for the wrong reasons.

What you don't seem to understand is you are "crying wolf", when you post these kind of stories.

Oh Russia does this and that and it is bad...fine but when it is then so obvious that other countries do the same thing or even worse, then you are exposed as nothing but a propagandist and instantly kills the thread and opens you up for ridicule and attack.

Yes - this too.

Gross hypocrisy.

They don't care. That's the point. This prosecution is for show. For Western folks who are [inexplicably] undecided about Russia due to meddling by the trolls. We have one here with us.

They don't care. That's the point. This prosecution is for show. For Western folks who are [inexplicably] undecided about Russia due to meddling by the trolls. We have one here with us.

Why do you seek to stifle discussion by abuse? Why is there only one valid account of Russia - yours?

If your intolerant oppressive views are a microcosm of western liberal democracy then I can see why your system is falling down. Because it's neither liberal nor democratic to behave as you do.

Why you need to create Russia as an evil hate figure is a question many sensible people in the West are asking. It's obviously a reflection of deep division problems in your systems. Why 'liberals' seem to exhibit intolerance which would have been at home in Nazi Germany is a question for western societies.

From Russia - we get it. You hate Russia. You hate Russians. You don't want us to choose our own leader unless you approve of him. You feel you have a divine right to lecture us about how to behave whilst ignoring your own bad behavior.

Loud and clear. But we ignore because we're not your colony. We know Russia is a meme in your own domestic problems.

Why do you seek .........................~
To cut thru all the blather you let follow, coming straight to the point here lies in laughing at a Kremlin fanboy like yourself pompously spouting forth on principles of liberalism and democracy.

To cut thru all the blather you let follow, coming straight to the point here lies in laughing at a Kremlin fanboy like yourself pompously spouting forth on principles of liberalism and democracy.

Democracy can take many forms as I'm sure you'd agree. I'm not a liberal or a fan of so called 'liberal democracy', but I'm a democrat.

I feel for all the 'left behinds' all the 'ignored' in Europe's failing democracies.

You guys need help and advice because your system has failed to serve the interests of any but the ruling cosmopolitan elites.

You can turn to Russia for answers, and I'm happy to try to help 😊.

For profit prison labor depresses wages overall.

It is supported by claims of offsetting costs of imprisonment.

Which basically makes it cost less.

A society who chooses to lock people up should accept the costs of doing so.

Making it cheaper makes it easier to decide to do so. Mandate longer sentences. Deny parole. Pass out extra infractions to cut down on "good time" off for good behavior.

Private.prisons have full bed quotas. Which means people spend more time in prison than they would have otherwise. Because releasing them would cost more than keeping them.

The profit motive has no place in imprisonment. Way too much moral hazard.

Think about that judge that was sending kids to a private facility for excessive sentences.

In exchange for kickbacks. He went to prison himself for it. Should have been lit on fire

Back
Top Bottom