• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush toward green energy has left US 'incredibly' vulnerable to summer blackouts, expert warns

So prove green energy is cheaper and that my upcoming monumental bills are consequently bogus ...... go on I dare ya ;)
No, you prove it for me. After all, you still haven't admitted that I am not obligated to go research your talking point about subsidies. What's the matter, can't meet your own standards?

If you admit that this isn't how it works, I'll support my own point if you support yours, ok?

No, you prove it for me. After all, you still haven't admitted that I am not obligated to go research your talking point about subsidies. What's the matter, can't meet your own standards?

If you admit that this isn't how it works, I'll support my own point if you support yours, ok?
Chickenshit leftie response. My energy bills will treble by years end even our own government has conceded this point :LOL:

Chickenshit leftie response. My energy bills will treble by years end even our own government has conceded this point :LOL:
Chickenshit? You brought up subsidies per kwh and you're the one too afraid to post those figures.

Exactly like I said. You are demanding other people do your homework for you and are smugly declaring victory when I refuse. And resorting to petty personal insults too, a sure sign of a lost argument.

Have a good evening, flogger, I've proven my point quite nicely.

Chickenshit? You brought up subsidies per kwh and you're the one too afraid to post those figures.

Exactly like I said. You are demanding other people do your homework for you and are smugly declaring victory when I refuse. And resorting to petty personal insults too, a sure sign of a lost argument.

Have a good evening, flogger, I've proven my point quite nicely.
So are you denying that I'll soon be paying treble my energy bills on the altar of your green guilt ?

Last edited:
Reactions: PoS
How will we power up our battery cars?

Easy, with solar panels...presuming you live in the belt between Southern California and West Texas.

As for everyone else, with fossil fuels of course.

There you go. Proof is in the pudding, so to speak.
I am stunned! FOX News uses an argument from an energy industry funded/biased group committed to attacking “radical environmentalism” to trash alternate forms of energy. Don’t choke on the pudding.

Businesses are going to make a profit, it is what they do! The risks with the better man made fuels, is that people who want to feel good about themselves,
will be willing to pay more for carbon neutral fuels, thus keeping the price higher than the fuel made from oil.
Like the synthetic oil, it does not help that synthetically assembling fuel molecules, can only make premium (100 octane) fuel.
One thing that would muddy the water is if a carbon tax is passed, it would cause the oil refineries who are ready to transition to
have a market advantage over those who will rely on oil as a feedstock, So Exxon, Shell, BP, ect, destroy the smaller companies,
and pick up their oil reserves for pennies on the dollar.
I think the best thing the governments can do at this point is to make it easier for people to add solar to their home energy mix,
by unifying the grid tie laws into something both the utility and the home solar generator can live with,
and then let the market work.
P.S. Exxon Baytown is converting one of it's units to make low carbon fuels as we type.
The first step will not be 100% carbon neutral, as the hydrogen will be made from natural gas, but the fuels will
cut CO2 emissions by about 38%.
I had solar panels installed on my roof and they've been up and running since april. So far doing well.

I had solar panels installed on my roof and they've been up and running since april. So far doing well.
I think solar power is great, but net metering as it is usually implemented is unsustainable.
The actual value of surplus KWh, is likely closer to a wholesale credit than a retail credit, it is what I think needs to be set nationally and fixed to ease more people into solar power.

I think solar power is great, but net metering as it is usually implemented is unsustainable.
The actual value of surplus KWh, is likely closer to a wholesale credit than a retail credit, it is what I think needs to be set nationally and fixed to ease more people into solar power.
I had it installed for two reasons. To make my electric bill disappear and for the future of our planet and all who live here.

I had it installed for two reasons. To make my electric bill disappear and for the future of our planet and all who live here.
Good reasons, but if you are participating in one for one net metering, you are harming your neighbors who cannot afford solar.
The higher cost of goods sold of the surplus kWh, increases the cost of electricity to everyone.
My main issue with net metering, is that, if continued, would drive the electrical utility out of business, and that would not be good for anyone.

Good reasons, but if you are participating in one for one net metering, you are harming your neighbors who cannot afford solar.
The higher cost of goods sold of the surplus kWh, increases the cost of electricity to everyone.
I have no power to do anything about that situation. I have a twenty five year loan at 0.99 percent interest with payments capped at $101 a month.

I have no power to do anything about that situation. I have a twenty five year loan at 0.99 percent interest with payments capped at $101 a month.
I know there are a lot of plans out there, I think solar should be marketed differently, but am not in that business.

This expert? 🤪
Shoot the messenger fallacy #4
FOX News! 🤣

Isn't that the same outfit that tried to blame Texas' blackout on windmills?
Shoot the messenger fallacy #5
I am stunned! FOX News uses an argument from an energy industry funded/biased group committed to attacking “radical environmentalism” to trash alternate forms of energy. Don’t choke on the pudding.
Shoot the messenger fallacy #6

Just goes to show you that the climate cult cant refute any facts. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:😆😅😂

Just goes to show you that the climate cult cant refute any facts. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:😆😅😂
I am going to go out on a limb here and posit that if say, Greenpeace had a different take on the situation, you might be locked and loaded.

Do you really believe that the Koch brothers would fund a group that might raise the alarm about the harmful effects of fossil fuels.

I am going to go out on a limb here and posit that if say, Greenpeace had a different take on the situation, you might be locked and loaded.

Do you really believe that the Koch brothers would fund a group that might raise the alarm about the harmful effects of fossil fuels.
Do you really believe that Greenpeace would fund a group who would disprove the predicted high climate sensitivity to added CO2?
Or for that matter do you think the IPCC would select research for their reports that would eliminate the need for the IPCC?

Do you really believe that Greenpeace would fund a group who would disprove the predicted high climate sensitivity to added CO2?
Or for that matter do you think the IPCC would select research for their reports that would eliminate the need for the IPCC?
Unlikely, though I believe that the IPCC and probably Greenpeace would publish info which reported improvements in climate. We should not politicize science, but sadly, that has been done since the Scopes trial.

My concern about the "right," if one can ascribe this to conservative thinking, is the mentality that took a snowball into Congress, accused climate theories of being a hoax invented by China, or that attack AOC for her joke about the world ending. When senators and a president do or say things with impunity that only crazy small fry on the other side affirm, it is hard to advance rational public discussion of pros and cons.

Unlikely, though I believe that the IPCC and probably Greenpeace would publish info which reported improvements in climate. We should not politicize science, but sadly, that has been done since the Scopes trial.

My concern about the "right," if one can ascribe this to conservative thinking, is the mentality that took a snowball into Congress, accused climate theories of being a hoax invented by China, or that attack AOC for her joke about the world ending. When senators and a president do or say things with impunity that only crazy small fry on the other side affirm, it is hard to advance rational public discussion of pros and cons.
And yet, the IPCC chose to downplay two publication about the time between CO2 emission and maximum warming.
The time lag between a carbon dioxide emission and maximum warming increases with the size of the emission
If the time-horizon of the analysis is limited to 100 years (as in R&C), the maximum warming occurs at year 11, in agreement with the median of R&C.
This paper and the paper study before it, Ricke and Caldeira (2014 Environ. Res. Lett. 9 124002), demonstrate that the idea that future warming is
predetermined, baked into our future, is a fallacy. CO2 warming, while real looks more like simple forcing, and has a low climate sensitivity.

And yet, the IPCC chose to downplay two publication about the time between CO2 emission and maximum warming.
The time lag between a carbon dioxide emission and maximum warming increases with the size of the emission

This paper and the paper study before it, Ricke and Caldeira (2014 Environ. Res. Lett. 9 124002), demonstrate that the idea that future warming is
predetermined, baked into our future, is a fallacy. CO2 warming, while real looks more like simple forcing, and has a low climate sensitivity.
Ok, as I have suggested to others, why not take this evidence and submit it to Science or Scientific American magazines? If the GOP controls a house in Congress next year, have it presented at hearings, let the experts on both sides get questioned. As to the IPCC, what is the evidence they downplayed the two publications, were they challenged for doing so, and what reasons did they give?

I go back to two things on this topic: First, what the late John McCain said, something to the effect that if human cause climate change is real, we need to do things to counter it. If not real, many of the things suggested are good policy anyway. Second, in the past industry-funded groups downplayed the dangers of auto exhaust/smog, industrial waste tobacco use, pesticide safety, etc. and I assume acid rain and the ozone layer. Time showed that these things were dangerous, or in some cases I assume not so much. Now, when I look at oil company websites, I see that they recognize the problem and are taking steps to lessen it. What gives?

I read once that the GOP was the only conservative party in the developed world that didn't profess belief in climate change. Even that has changed, as the last platform acknowledges the problem. My assumption is that conservatives are skeptical because they don't like government regulation, and if one assumes the validity of human caused climate change as a danger, one has to concede that regulation may be necessary. Liberals famously don't mind government regulation, hence their willingness, rightly or wrongly, to accept the science. Where one stands on the issue often depends on where one sits politically.

Finally, I know the motivation of an oil company to have paid people to debunk the accepted theories, but what it the motivation of the IPCC, Science and American magazines, and climate science to perpetuate this massive fraud, which if true is almost without precedent by my understanding. The only thing I have seen offered is fear of ostracism from the academy, pretty weak tea.

There you go. Proof is in the pudding, so to speak.
Well, it is shocking that a lobbying group headed by a former Koch guy is spreading anti-renewable bullshit. Who could have guessed that? Oh, right, everyone.

Ok, as I have suggested to others, why not take this evidence and submit it to Science or Scientific American magazines? If the GOP controls a house in Congress next year, have it presented at hearings, let the experts on both sides get questioned. As to the IPCC, what is the evidence they downplayed the two publications, were they challenged for doing so, and what reasons did they give?

I go back to two things on this topic: First, what the late John McCain said, something to the effect that if human cause climate change is real, we need to do things to counter it. If not real, many of the things suggested are good policy anyway. Second, in the past industry-funded groups downplayed the dangers of auto exhaust/smog, industrial waste tobacco use, pesticide safety, etc. and I assume acid rain and the ozone layer. Time showed that these things were dangerous, or in some cases I assume not so much. Now, when I look at oil company websites, I see that they recognize the problem and are taking steps to lessen it. What gives?

I read once that the GOP was the only conservative party in the developed world that didn't profess belief in climate change. Even that has changed, as the last platform acknowledges the problem. My assumption is that conservatives are skeptical because they don't like government regulation, and if one assumes the validity of human caused climate change as a danger, one has to concede that regulation may be necessary. Liberals famously don't mind government regulation, hence their willingness, rightly or wrongly, to accept the science. Where one stands on the issue often depends on where one sits politically.

Finally, I know the motivation of an oil company to have paid people to debunk the accepted theories, but what it the motivation of the IPCC, Science and American magazines, and climate science to perpetuate this massive fraud, which if true is almost without precedent by my understanding. The only thing I have seen offered is fear of ostracism from the academy, pretty weak tea.
Firstly the data is already published in peer review, and cited by the IPCC, that is not the problem, the problem is that they choose
to downplay the science because it did not fit into the narrative.
Also that the climate's sensitivity to CO2 is lower, has been presented to Congress by Dr. Judith Curry.
Opening Statement to the Space, Science, and Competitiveness Senate Subcommittee on Climate Change
What you ask has already happened.

Human caused climate change is very real, but the changes suggested are unnecessary if the sensitivity of added CO2 is as low as the data suggests.
There are several causes for the models of ECS to run hot, but the largest factor is that ECS is the wrong thing to simulate, in that an abrupt
doubling of the CO2 level can never happen, so why are we simulating, and basing legislation, on that simulation?

The oil companies fall into to two unique camps, those who will profit massively from a carbon tax, and those who will loose money.
Exxon, Shell, BP, ect, are ready and would capitalize on a carbon tax to make carbon neutral fuel. The companies who do not have their own refinery capacity
would have to pass on the added cost to their customers, and brand loyalty, does not run deep, with gasoline, it is a commodity.

Consider two scenarios of CO2 climate sensitivity,
The IPCC would say that warming by year 2100 would be a 2XCO2 sensitivity of 3C times the (business as usual) RCP8.5 CO2 level of 1370 ppm.
Because of the log curve, one has to calculate a multiplier, for 2XCO2 that is 3C/ln(2) = 4.32, so the warming expected by year 2100 is 4.32 X ln(1370/280) = 6.85C
A more realistic scenario is that of TCRE where 2XCO2 is equal to .82C, and the level expected by year 2100 is 700 ppm, 1.195 X ln(700/280) = 1.09C
One predicts a hell scape requiring urgent action, while the second, has mostly already happened.
The numbers from the second sensitivity came direct from the IPCC AR6 SPM
Each 1000 GtCO2 of cumulative CO2 emissions is assessed
to likely cause a 0.27°C to 0.63°C increase in global surface temperature with a best estimate of 0.45°C.
I know they present it in odd units, one has to question why.

Well, it is shocking that a lobbying group headed by a former Koch guy is spreading anti-renewable bullshit. Who could have guessed that? Oh, right, everyone.
If they can support their findings, I am not sure who found them matters!

Your claim is shite.

I read the article. There's not even an attempt at an honest argument in it. It's no more than a press release by a guy paid to spread PR for oil and gas interests, a from what I can tell one-man lobbying shop. You quoted baseless opinions. There are no facts about the contribution of renewables to possible shortages anywhere in that article. It's garbage.

If they can support their findings, I am not sure who found them matters!
They can't. Read the article if you want. I made that mistake and there's nothing there worth addressing, just biased, baseless opinions of a lobbyist. No links to any useful data. It's basically one guy claiming without evidence that any problem with meeting demand in a scorching hot summer is due to renewables. It's simplistic, obviously biased, and so useless to anyone who cares about the actual issue, versus just spreading talking points - renewables BAD!!!

Back
Top Bottom