• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Limbaugh pulled himself up by his own bootstraps?

Rush Limbaugh pulled himself up by his own bootstraps?

• Yes, Rush Limbaugh was a self made man who worked his way up from nothing.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No, he was given the opportunity

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Many conservatives say that poor people have to "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps."

Did Rush Limbaugh, that paragon of conservative values, pull himself up by his own bootstraps?

Mark your response and click on the spoiler tag below for the answer.

Like many male conservative media figures he made a game of pretending to class sensitivity and implying he’d had to scrap his way up. The radio station where he got his start was co-owned by his father.

Rush Limbaugh’s Complicated Legacy - WSJ

Another thread to bash Limbaugh. The man will continue to live rent free in the heads of snowflakes for decades after he died.

Another thread to bash Limbaugh. The man will continue to live rent free in the heads of snowflakes for decades after he died.

It's OK to be concerned about people who propogate so much hatred, lies, bigotry, fear, rage, and division in a country.

It's important for people to remember how Rush lied about reality on a day to day basis. I put him and the other liars in the same box. They're whole life was one of greed at the cost of a civil society. Rush, Trump and other assorted scum should not be forgotten.

He won't live at all. He's decomposing as we speak.

The notion of self reliance as understood by conservatives is a myth. None of these assholes pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. They all benefited by whom they were born to, assistance that came through tax-funded government programs, Federal aid or all three.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he grew up in middle class Missouri household. I think he just wanted to be a broadcaster, might have worked for the Cardinals for a while, think he got fired and then moved to Sac where he got a gig doing his thing in the late 80s. That is when I first heard him, he was actually quite funny back then. His Born Free bits were hilarious. Then he got syndicated and became a powerhouse on the right, that is when he stopped being funny and turned into a monster.

Many conservatives say that poor people have to "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps."

Did Rush Limbaugh, that paragon of conservative values, pull himself up by his own bootstraps?

Like many male conservative media figures he made a game of pretending to class sensitivity and implying he’d had to scrap his way up. The radio station where he got his start was co-owned by his father.

Rush is largely self made, but hardly anyone comes from true nothing. There are many who had a more difficult youth than Rush, but the story of Limbaugh is one of perseverance and work ethic - rewarded. And that is the true lesson.

When politics is removed, Rush is a business success story to be told to all. And one that demonstrates that government need not provide all in order to have success.

My measure of the man - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Limbaugh#Charitable_work His success regardless of your political views resulted in untold millions of people being helped by his actions. A legacy that will be difficult for anyone to trash.

The notion of self reliance as understood by conservatives is a myth. None of these assholes pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. They all benefited by whom they were born to, assistance that came through tax-funded government programs, Federal aid or all three.

Bovine Feces of the highest order. Our nation rose to prominence prior to government providing any of the services you allude to. ANY of them. And people thrived. Modern government is standing on the shoulders of entrepreneurs who fund the massive oversized error we call government.

Rush is largely self made, but hardly anyone comes from true nothing. There are many who had a more difficult youth than Rush, but the story of Limbaugh is one of perseverance and work ethic - rewarded. And that is the true lesson.

When politics is removed, Rush is a business success story to be told to all. And one that demonstrates that government need not provide all in order to have success.

My measure of the man - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Limbaugh#Charitable_work His success regardless of your political views resulted in untold millions of people being helped by his actions. A legacy that will be difficult for anyone to trash.

Untold millions being helped by Rush? Are you drinking early today?

Actually it was getting government out of the way that gave Rush the opportunity.

Bovine Feces of the highest order. Our nation rose to prominence prior to government providing any of the services you allude to. ANY of them. And people thrived. Modern government is standing on the shoulders of entrepreneurs who fund the massive oversized error we call government.
The shoulders is either who you were born to and the assistance you got from that, the Federal assistance your state received, or the infrastructure and government programs that taxes funded.

You ignore all of this because you want to believe a fantasy about yourself.

Actually it was getting government out of the way that gave Rush the opportunity.

Actually, his dad owning a radio station and giving Limbaugh at said radio station gave Rush the opportunity.

Doesn't Obama, Biden, Pelosi, George Soros and Liberal SNOWFLAKES live rent free in your head?
(Besides the fact there is a lot of space to accommodate us all, otherwise it would be pretty empty)
laugh_40x40.gif

Doesn't Obama, Biden, Pelosi, George Soros and Liberal SNOWFLAKES live rent free in your head?
(Besides the fact there is a lot of space to accommodate us all, otherwise it would be pretty empty)
View attachment 67319025

no, how many threads have I started about them?

The shoulders is either who you were born to and the assistance you got from that, the Federal assistance your state received, or the infrastructure and government programs that taxes funded.

You ignore all of this because you want to believe a fantasy about yourself.
Negative.

I don't ignore what government does, I know it is not required to the extent it is provided. Big difference.

And don't think me a Government Neanderthal or an anarchist, there are appropriate levels of government. And those levels are specifically called out in the constitution. Every thing else is a play for votes.

Untold millions being helped by Rush? Are you drinking early today?

So you didn't read (understand, perhaps?) the link I see, poor as it is coming from Wikipedia. Millions upon millions of dollars donated over 30+ years both directly and raised on his program.

Dude, I am not exaggerating a bit when I look at Limbaugh and see his massive generosity. Ignorance is yours in two areas - Limbaugh's generosity and your assertion that I have been drinking to reach my conclusion.

Rush made himself rich feeding his listeners the hatred, bigotry and fear they so craved.

In so doing he created the model the rest of the right wing propaganda machine followed up till the present. Even trump used that model all the way to the white house.

In so doing right wing media has created a large group of Americans who are so misinformed that they are a clear and present danger to America.

Rush had done a great disservice to this great country

So you didn't read (understand, perhaps?) the link I see, poor as it is coming from Wikipedia. Millions upon millions of dollars donated over 30+ years both directly and raised on his program.

Dude, I am not exaggerating a bit when I look at Limbaugh and see his massive generosity. Ignorance is yours in two areas - Limbaugh's generosity and your assertion that I have been drinking to reach my conclusion.

Well what do you know? He did something nice to assuage his guilty conscience, who gives a rat's ass. The man was a monster, pure trash. Glad he is dead.

Much like how AOC and Kamala live rent-free in yours?

Negative.

I don't ignore what government does, I know it is not required to the extent it is provided. Big difference.

And don't think me a Government Neanderthal or an anarchist, there are appropriate levels of government. And those levels are specifically called out in the constitution. Every thing else is a play for votes.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Pretty sure they don't make boot straps strong enough for him to pull himself up by. Probably need something more like a heavy duty body harness.

Back
Top Bottom