• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Limbaugh pulled himself up by his own bootstraps?

Rush Limbaugh pulled himself up by his own bootstraps?

• Yes, Rush Limbaugh was a self made man who worked his way up from nothing.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No, he was given the opportunity

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
If he did pull himself up by his bootstraps it probably required a crane.

Hey, it's a joke! The same kind he spewed on dead people his entire career.

RIS Rush (Rest In the Sewer you created)

Was he wrong about any of that?

I think it’s interesting that the person who actually called Barack Obama a magic negro was a ... white... guy who works for the LA times but Rush gets the ire.
Lent started 2 days ago. Did you break your practice already?

Many conservatives say that poor people have to "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps."

Did Rush Limbaugh, that paragon of conservative values, pull himself up by his own bootstraps?

Mark your response and click on the spoiler tag below for the answer.

Like many male conservative media figures he made a game of pretending to class sensitivity and implying he’d had to scrap his way up. The radio station where he got his start was co-owned by his father.

Rush Limbaugh’s Complicated Legacy - WSJ

I chose "other" because I know little of his past, and really didn't care. I guess I'm not surprised by the answer, something he and trump had in common, self made men except for a "little" help from daddy.

I chose "other" because I know little of his past, and really didn't care. I guess I'm not surprised by the answer, something he and trump had in common, self made men except for a "little" help from daddy.

He got his first job as DJ at his father's radio station.

Another thread to bash Limbaugh. The man will continue to live rent free in the heads of snowflakes for decades after he died.

Just curious - did you say the same about those who bashed Ruth Bader Ginsburg when she died?

Another thread to bash Limbaugh. The man will continue to live rent free in the heads of snowflakes for decades after he died.

nah, this is just the normal obit talk about a controversial dead guy. He'll be forgotten by all but his fans who will lament about how american conservative radio used to be great.

Just curious - did you say the same about those who bashed Ruth Bader Ginsburg when she died?

Aww com'on. Ginsburg deserved it. What did Rush do.

(poe - just in case)

I said a lot of things about Justice Ginsburg. I often criticized her legal views. I never attacked her personally. She was a brilliant woman who met lots of personal adversity head on and beat it

I cannot stand the opinions and legal views of RBG but to say she is stupid is really really cretinous. She was top of her class at Harvard, transferred to Columbia due to her husband's job and medical needs, and graduated at the very top of her class there as well as being summa cum laude at Cornell when Cornell was the only Ivy that was coed (and thus got the cream of the crop of women who wanted to be at a top of the line coed school on the east coast)

I said a lot of things about Justice Ginsburg. I often criticized her legal views. I never attacked her personally. She was a brilliant woman who met lots of personal adversity head on and beat it

She was one tough broad as well as being brilliant. She also wasn't infallible, merely human.

She also didn't mock people with uncurbable diseases, celebrate the death of AIDS patients or falsely accuse educated black people of being Affirmative Action recipients. Rush did all of those things....frequently.

She also didn't mock people with uncurbable diseases, celebrate the death of AIDS patients or falsely accuse educated black people of being Affirmative Action recipients. Rush did all of those things....frequently.

some would claim that her rulings on abortion and other issues harmed America far more than Rush did. I won't get into that, I was merely noting I never ever attacked her as a person and I admired lots of things about her. And your claim about "educated black people falsely accused of being AA recipients is an argument that is wanting in merit in many cases.

I really do not think you should celebrate anybodys death... That is just basic human decency...Remember: Everbody is a person who deserves human decency and kindness because they deserve so by their humanity... and they likely have a family and friends too...Just don't be a douche...

Now NONE of that in my view should mean that you can't critizise the recently deceased...I am talking about criticism of the ideas of a person which obviously reflect on their character (not ad hom), even harsh critique, that DOES NOT hit below the belt. Below the belt and completly morally unacceptable is stuff like wishing for or celebrating any kind of suffering or death or attacking the family and friends for instance, in my view.

I agree with the conservatives on this thread and others in so far, that some on the left are acting terribly by celebrating his death (on twitter of course)...or having wished for it. That is just douchy... (fortuanetely I have not seen as much of that as I had feared but still way too much for comfort) But I of course don't agree that you can't harshly critique him.

I really wanna emphazise again that critique, even harsh one, is not the same as celebrating his death or wishing all sorts of terrible things onto people...That kind of stuff is morally just plain wrong. But critique is not. Just because he died does not mean he was not a racist, sexist, homphobic bigot and that all of sudden he was a saint, one needs to show deferance too... HE VERY MUCH WAS a bigot. One can harshly critique, and I certainly harshly critique the man, but also you should aknowledge peoples humanity as well...Just my view

I really do not think you should celebrate anybodys death... That is just basic human decency...Remember: Everbody is a person who deserves human decency and kindness because they deserve so by their humanity... and they likely have a family and friends too...Just don't be a douche...

Now NONE of that in my view should mean that you can't critizise the recently deceased...I am talking about criticism of the ideas of a person which obviously reflect on their character (not ad hom), even harsh critique, that DOES NOT hit below the belt. Below the belt and completly morally unacceptable is stuff like wishing for or celebrating any kind of suffering or death or attacking the family and friends for instance, in my view.

I agree with the conservatives on this thread and others in so far, that some on the left are acting terribly by celebrating his death (on twitter of course)...or having wished for it. That is just douchy... (fortuanetely I have not seen as much of that as I had feared but still way too much for comfort) But I of course don't agree that you can't harshly critique him.

I really wanna emphazise again that critique, even harsh one, is not the same as celebrating his death or wishing all sorts of terrible things onto people...That kind of stuff is morally just plain wrong. But critique is not. Just because he died does not mean he was not a racist, sexist, homphobic bigot and that all of sudden he was a saint, one needs to show deferance too... HE VERY MUCH WAS a bigot. One can harshly critique, and I certainly harshly critique the man, but also you should aknowledge peoples humanity as well...Just my view

I had a celebratory toast when I heard Ernst Zundel kicked the bucket. Was dancing in the streets when Bin Ladin was blown away. Kinda happy when Epstein bit the big one. Call me callous I guess.

I thought Rush was a giant dickhead, but he was somebody's giant dickhead and they are hurting.

He was obviously given the opportunity. His family reads like a list of who's who millionaires..

The family includes many lawyers, including his grandfather, father and brother; his uncle, Stephen N. Limbaugh Sr.,

was a federal judge in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.

His cousin, Stephen N. Limbaugh Jr., is a judge in the same court, appointed by George W. Bush. Limbaugh's grandfather,

Rush Limbaugh Sr., was a Missouri prosecutor, judge, special commissioner,

member of the Missouri House of Representatives in the 1930s, and

longtime president of the
Missouri Historical Society

Bovine Feces of the highest order. Our nation rose to prominence prior to government providing any of the services you allude to. ANY of them. And people thrived. Modern government is standing on the shoulders of entrepreneurs who fund the massive oversized error we call government.
Anybody that knows their US History knows that the USA was built by the work of takers... whether it was benefitting from land stolen from murdered Native Americans, to raping the land, to setting up little cabals of elitism, running slave empires, working like slaves and profiting from the work of the Chinese and Irish to the likes of Henry Ford and other capitalist mother****ers that treated regular working Americans like shit.

I had a celebratory toast when I heard Ernst Zundel kicked the bucket. Was dancing in the streets when Bin Ladin was blown away. Kinda happy when Epstein bit the big one. Call me callous I guess.

I thought Rush was a giant dickhead, but he was somebody's giant dickhead and they are hurting.
Well, not all are the same...Bin Laden was a murderous terrorist about which I guess most people where happy was taken out by Obama...There is a difference here...as you mentioned, Rush was a giant dickhead (I would go even further and say a gaint racist, sexist, homophobe bigot-dickhead)...But he was not a terrorist...there is a difference...

I was just trying to apeal to a sense of common humanity...Now terrorists are of course a different matter...

But I do get what you were trying to get at.

Thanks for your reply.

You ignore all of this because you want to believe a fantasy about yourself.
People that think that guys like Rush or Trump or Bush or Kennedy made it themselves are deluded.

So what? They are probably giant dickheads themselves... that is how it generally works.

Nah... the snowflakes are living rent free in your head... or else you would just move on...

Nah... the snowflakes are living rent free in your head... or else you would just move on...
Using your logic, does that mean I live rent free in your head since you just didn't move on? :p

Post 1 of 2:

Also in the spirit of critique, like I have for Limbaugh, and their ideas, I also wanna emphazize btw, that I do not just critique limbaugh and his far right ilk but also the uber-woke crowd (not normal socially liberal people who I have no prob with and who have done and do a big amount of good)...Here are gonna be just a few of the things the uber-woke do though:

I am talking about those who want get rid of Shakespeare (as one recent example of many) in the classroom. (I am not against diversifying and adding more voices to the convo btw or the reading list BUT very much against getting rid of Shakespeare, which would be insanity) I am talking about those who wanna change school names named after Washington, Lincoln and even Feinstein. (even the washington post and and others heavily criticised those things, even a leftie author (Max Boot) who said the maga cult crowd (not all Trump voters) and the uber-woke (far from everybody on the left) have a lot in common)

I am talking about those who try to cancel people for the most mild of infractions in the form of twitter mobs by harassing their employers until they fire them. (Some more extreme ones even threatened a guy who wanted to screen a jordan peterson film and thus, out of fear, made him not screen it.)... vindictive, self obsessed ideologs. People make mistakes and have differnt opinions...talk with them but don't go after them by trying to cancel them and have them fired...(going further than just wanting to cancel and actually calling for or commiting or threatening violence of course is especially NEVER acceptable, also not legally, against anybody obviously, and thankfully most people, even the ideology-obsessed ones, don't ever do that...but canceling is also incredibly bad given how social ostracisation and having no job is horrible...)

Of course, and this is important, normal socialy liberal people who can take a joke and don't wanna cancel people over them and those who are not ideology-obsessed and actually care about equality and not their god damn ego and virtue and purity and so forth, should NEVER be grouped in with them, obviously...

Post 2 of 2:

People like Kyle Kulinski (who once did a story about a woman who wrote an article about how she tries not to hate or fear her son, because she said that she thinks that because he is a man, he is basically a potential rapist...Yeah, those are the people I am talking about...the uber-woke crowd) or Crystall Ball are great. Great lefties, I have many disagreements with (and also agreements), but they are liberal and ironic and flexible and not so self obsessed in their thinking, meaning they are also not uber-woke...

Kyle and Crystal are just very cool people who are not alwas playing the purity police or just tell you how virtuous and great they are and how they are so much better than you...they are not obsessed by some cultish ideology...but actually wanna debate and are not authoritarian...More power to people like that! It is just so nice that they are not so unbelievably obsessed with their ideology, under which all in the world must fit, and this fiction of moral purity and absolute adherence to a set of believes (if you break the insane rules of the uber-woke, likely no redemption for you...they are a religious cult)

This vindictive, ideology obsessed group think CULT is very much, in its rigidness and demands for total allegience and conformity, similar to the trump cult... Also, in their worlds, NO debate is allowed cos, like all autoritarians, they believe they are in possession of the "absolute truth", hence debate is irellevant.

So the maga cult weirdos (not all Trump voters) will flip out if you critique their dear leader and demand absolute ideological conformit very much like this uber-woke cult...This kind of stuff is incredibly dangerous because of course all such cults that allow for no debates, self deprecating jokes, fun, mistakes, differnt view points, are literal as opposed to ironic, (Hitch coined the literal-ironic thing) and are charcterised by a set of unquestionable beliefs and a strict ideology, ARE therfore ANTITHETICAL to all of liberalism and a free world of debate as opposed to total conformity.

Of course, and that is very important: There are also those REACTIONARIES who, when they talk about the woke, mean all of those who fight for equality and/or are socially liberal. Those reactionaries are usually racist, sexist bigots who hide behind the fact that the extreme left makes a lot of very weird accusations or always asumes the worst possible motive in peopel. Those reactionaries ARE racists though and need to be called out...Very much like Rush Limbaugh...This man never, ever seemed to want equality...a racist through and through...All socialy liberal people should never be lumped in with the uber-woke...Those socialy liberal typs have done great stuff from fighting for unions, to gay marriage, free speech and much more to advance society and equality for all.

Now I am also not saying btw left wing violent extremism is just as big a problem or just as frequent of an occurance as right wing...It isn't. Both are horrible but far right violent extremism is just more frequent unfortunately. And thankfully, most people, even really ideology-obsessed ones, don't ever commit violence.

What I am saying is that this far left authoritarian and ideology obsessed THINKING (literal as opposed to ironic) I outlined, is an under-recognised issue and that the maga authoritarian cult in their THINKING is very much like this uber-woke cult.

Now back to limbaugh and his passing: Limbaugh was a mysogonist, racist far right conspiracy theorist and just because he "triggerd the libs" does not mean he was in any way not racist or sexist. His critques often were just racist and sexist and homophobic diatribes. But I of course don't celebrate his death, human decency, but also I do not accept that you can't critique somebody after they have just passed away. Those two things are very different.

So there is a GIANT difference between a terrorist like Bin Laden and a dickhead like Rush...And that difference should be noted...A murderous dictator is not the same as a racist radio host...Not even in the same universe...

When it comes to giant dickheads like Limbaugh I totally agree you should critique them...But NEVER dehumanise them...People deserve common humanity and dignity...But they also of course should never be exempt from critque.

Last edited:
Limbaugh was a fetid piece of shit. No loss

Back
Top Bottom