• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Limbaugh--Obama's Secret Weapon [W:25]

I don't know that Rush himself says the things he does in order to keep Democrats in power because he could probably do just as well stroking Republican egos if Republicans were in power. However, the article does point to something that I started to realize after Obama was elected: what crazy conservatives say mainly hurts conservatives.

Before the election, even though I believed Obama would win, I still wasn't sure. I accepted the possibility that Romney would take the White House and that, with such an election, the country would have somewhat endorsed the path that people like Todd Akin and the like want to take us on. However, with the Obama's election, the passing of SSM in three states, the legalization of marijuana in two states (even though I don't support it) and the defeats of Akin and Murdock, I was reassured that the country was moving forward.

This means that the loud portion of the right which insists on taking the country backwards is mainly hurting itself because it is resisting the progressive direction that the majority of voters endorsed. With that in mind, the article's framing of Limbaugh and those like him as the "Democrats secret weapon" has a grain of truth to it because anybody willing to encourage conservatives to keep doing what they did this election season is great for the future of the Democratic Party.

Limbaugh is like the Jedi who quits training before it is complete. the result is that he only seeks data that supports his theory rather than modifying the theory in light of new data. he has a profound lack of intellectual curiosity except when it comes to finding new streams of confirmation bias.

that being said, i actually listened to that show for the first time in years. he probably coined the talking point that the election is the result of the poor voting themselves presents from Santa Claus. this is what he believes, and he doesn't take into account that the views and demographics of the population are shifting. for example, the anti-gay thing is a big loser for the under 40 demographic, and the immigration stance has to be re-branded, because it appears xenophobic to a lot of us. also, huge swaths of us have seen directly that trickle down isn't the most efficient way to prosperity. the GOP doesn't have to abandon all of its issues, but it definitely needs better PR, and it needs to more carefully examine the different voting blocks. the party is dead on about deficits and debt, and i agree with them. but am i going to vote for them when they refuse to budge on tax increases, refuse to budge on interventionism, and toss anti-homosexual legislative priorities in to boot? no. i suspect that i'm not alone in feeling this way.

What Limbaugh does not get is the same thing that far too many on the right do not get. This is NOT about American Exceptionalism where a precious few jewels get to shine despite the system being stacked against them. This is about making sure the American system causes millions upon millions of people to rise and be part of a very wide and broad middle class where prosperity is synonymous with the American Dream and achievement.

Limbaugh likes to run down his litany of people like Rice and a few other people of color (now cutting Colin Powell from his list) and uses that as evidence that America works. Yes, it worked for them. But for far far far too many others, it is not working. And the answer is NOT embracing the idea that a few individuals will make it big while many others slide back and the gulf between the Haves and the Have Nots grows.

In the end Libmaugh only cares about the GOP cutting his taxes so he can keep more of his own fortune. He is no different than some posters here who elevate personal selfishness to an art form and pseudo religion.

So the left should be grateful for Limbaugh, correct?. A question. For those here who maintain that America does not work for 'far too many', why not? Has America worked for you?

Do it Limbaugh! Then your party will become extinct!

ThePlayDrive said:
Before the election, even though I believed Obama would win, I still wasn't sure. I accepted the possibility that Romney would take the White House and that, with such an election, the country would have somewhat endorsed the path that people like Todd Akin and the like want to take us on. However, with the Obama's election, the passing of SSM in three states, the legalization of marijuana in two states (even though I don't support it) and the defeats of Akin and Murdock, I was reassured that the country was moving forward.

I think "going forward" is a pretty bad way to go in this situation. It's akin to seeing a land mine 5 feet in front of me, but I keep "going forward".

Yeah, I get it - a few Congressional Republicans said some real dumbass things. Does that mean that we need a Congressional flush and to bring in a schedule of unprecedented debt and a complete debacle of the health care industry? If that's progressive, I'll go backward any day.

I think "going forward" is a pretty bad way to go in this situation. It's akin to seeing a land mine 5 feet in front of me, but I keep "going forward".

Yeah, I get it - a few Congressional Republicans said some real dumbass things. Does that mean that we need a Congressional flush and to bring in a schedule of unprecedented debt and a complete debacle of the health care industry? If that's progressive, I'll go backward any day.
Well, obviously people's impressions of whether or not we're "going forward" depends on their political and social views. I think we're going forward and most voters appear to support that path. As a result, politicians who are resistant to that progress are only hurting themselves.

ThePlayDrive said:
Well, obviously people's impressions of whether or not we're "going forward" depends on their political and social views. I think we're going forward and most voters appear to support that path. As a result, politicians who are resistant to that progress are only hurting themselves.

I cringe at the idea of equating the opinion of "most voters" as forward progression. Somewhere in England, Churchill is turning in his grave. When he said that the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with your average voter, he almost seems prophetic for what has happened today. I firmly believe that most people who voted Obama couldn't put 10 constructive words together for why they voted for him that doesn't involve confusion, rhetoric, or absolute falsehoods.

Fortunately, many of these people will be the ones who get bent over in the near future of this administration, and I relish the thought of watching them suffer due to complete lack of the most common of sense.

I cringe at the idea of equating the opinion of "most voters" as forward progression. Somewhere in England, Churchill is turning in his grave. When he said that the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with your average voter, he almost seems prophetic for what has happened today. I firmly believe that most people who voted Obama couldn't put 10 constructive words together for why they voted for him that doesn't involve confusion, rhetoric, or absolute falsehoods.

Fortunately, many of these people will be the ones who get bent over in the near future of this administration, and I relish the thought of watching them suffer due to complete lack of the most common of sense.
I didn't equate the opinion of most voters with progression. I equated same-sex marriage, the election of Obama, the legalization of marijuana and rejection of Akin and Murdock with progression. Then, I said that most voters support that progression. Finally, I said that those who are resistant to that progression are only hurting themselves. The rest of your comment is just bitterness, so whatever.

Cue up the "Out of context" retorts...

That's the near-modern equivalent of "he has eyes, but he cannot see." Whoever uses it gets to apply it to whatever they believe. Which of course means that it means nothing at all. Interestingly enough this same line of thought extends to the rest of your post, so substitute "Obama" for "Romney" and it's worth exactly the same.

Last edited:
Do it Limbaugh! Then your party will become extinct!

who will you lefties demonize with class warfare rhetoric in order to pander to your robotic minions then?

Media Matters? Does pbrauer know you're using his source?

In general I steer clear of media matters and other media that makes it a point to only show one side. This was actually on digg.com and decide to give it a look. My thoughts are that Limbaugh is like a drug that only helps the pain and doesn't actually cure the symptom. Why cure cancer there is no money in that.

My thoughts are that the right pays far to much attention to what their media says. This is why Fox is likely going to simmer down and you have guys like O'Reily becoming more moderate. I am willing to bet fox for example will start doing exposes on defense waste as well as waste on entitlements, along with slowly backing off or even supporting the idea of phasing out Bush tax cuts. The tea party and the "rape guys" will begin to be silenced and fox's general direction will be that more of Regan grounded in reality and not the legend that had been cooked up to try and sell their ideas.

who will you lefties demonize with class warfare rhetoric in order to pander to your robotic minions then?

I don't think we need loud talking heads on any side. We need rational folks sitting down at a table and discussing all sides in a way that isn't condescending to anyone. PBS Newshour and Meet the Press isn't to bad at this and usually CNN is decent towards all sides also.

I like rush's show i listen when ever i can and most times that is daily but its nothing more than entertainment and not to be taken seriously LOL

no some people do take it seriously, that their problem ;)

Limbaugh is like the Jedi who quits training before it is complete. the result is that he only seeks data that supports his theory rather than modifying the theory in light of new data.

Kinda like what Team Romney did when they used 2004 data to gauge the voting electorate instead of 2008 data or even the 2010 Census. Either would have confirmed for them that the demographics of the nation was changing. In fact, I was surprised they ignored public information that explicitedly indicated that Hispanics would overtake Whites within the next 35-40 years. Based on that information alone, I would have changed my campaing tactics along time ago.

Moderator's Warning:
Stop the one-liner personal attacks or infractions will be issued.

Back
Top Bottom