• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Got It Wrong. Sandra Fluke In Her Own Words

Are you suggesting that a government led group doesn't deny medical benefits?

In Canada... no. All the government does is pay bills to hospitals, clinics and doctors. Of course some things are NOT covered, like boob jobs.

It's not just acne. Why are you trying to be obtuse on this? You have absolutely no freakin' clue how difficult menses is for many women.

I'm married. My wife lied to her doctor about painful periods about 10 years ago so that the insurance could cover her prescription. This was prior to the insurance covering all BC pills. I am sure some women have painful periods, however, this doesn't mean that the religious organization should be forced to pay for the 86.0% of women that are using BC pills for reasons directly against their teaching.

Last edited:
In Canada... no. All the government does is pay bills to hospitals, clinics and doctors. Of course some things are NOT covered, like boob jobs.

There are many things that are not covered and they will deny. Sometimes they need medical records to make that denial. Are you really disagreeing with this?

Now there's something we can all agree should be covered.

I am not arguing wether they made the right decision or no, I am only providing proof that the government does deny care.

Canadian Family In Life Support Battle Denied Request For Hospital Transfer | Fox News
Canadian health care allocation officials already ruled that Joseph had to be taken off life support and allowed to die in the hospital.

There are many things that are not covered and they will deny. Sometimes they need medical records to make that denial. Are you really disagreeing with this?

Completely. Sorry Buck, you are ill-informed.

Socialized Insurance, Not Socialized Medicine

Canada has a universal health care system that's paid for through income taxes and sales tax. All Canadians are covered, and they can see any doctor they want anywhere in the country with no copays or deductibles. Some things aren't covered: optometry, dentistry and outpatient prescription drugs. Many Canadians have private insurance to cover those services, though some struggle to pay for them out of pocket.

U.S. critics of Canadian health care like to call it socialized medicine, but it's more like socialized insurance — meaning the risk is pooled together. And while the individual provinces and territories set their overall health budgets and administer the health plans, the delivery of medical care is private. Doctors run their own businesses and then bill the government.

Barzelai says physicians in Canada earn a good living and aren't faced with the same administrative hassles that American doctors gripe about. "Medical costs here are half of what medical costs in the States are," he says. "At the same time, our infant mortality is lower, our life expectancy is longer, our rates of obesity are a lot less. So there's got to be some positive aspects of living in Canada and with the Canadian medical system."

Does Canada's Health Care System Need Fixing? : NPR

The Canadian health care system is a great deal for those of us on the US side of the border. Any medical professional competent enough to compete comes down here to work, and any Canadian who can afford it comes south to get care.

Someone else who is ill-informed or relying on statistics pulled outta thin air!

Few Canadians actually go south for medical care, though. Canadian researchers say it's a bit like getting struck by lighting — it's extremely rare, but when it happens, everyone talks about it.

Provincial governments do pay for Canadians to receive specialty care in the U.S. in some cases. For example, a shortage of neonatal beds means a small number of women with high-risk pregnancies are sent to U.S. hospitals to deliver their babies.

Does Canada's Health Care System Need Fixing? : NPR

I'm married. My wife lied to her doctor about painful periods about 10 years ago so that the insurance could cover her prescription. This was prior to the insurance covering all BC pills. I am sure some women have painful periods, however, this doesn't mean that the religious organization should be forced to pay for the 86.0% of women that are using BC pills for reasons directly against their teaching.

When I read this post, I felt like I was back in the 50s.

Really.

Really.
I'm not certain Buck, but I think she just compared you to Ronnie Milsap. Imagine your shame.............

Last edited:
Canada has a universal health care system that's paid for through income taxes and sales tax. All Canadians are covered, and they can see any doctor they want anywhere in the country with no copays or deductibles. Some things aren't covered: optometry, dentistry and outpatient prescription drugs. Many Canadians have private insurance to cover those services, though some struggle to pay for them out of pocket.

U.S. critics of Canadian health care like to call it socialized medicine, but it's more like socialized insurance — meaning the risk is pooled together. And while the individual provinces and territories set their overall health budgets and administer the health plans, the delivery of medical care is private. Doctors run their own businesses and then bill the government.

Barzelai says physicians in Canada earn a good living and aren't faced with the same administrative hassles that American doctors gripe about. "Medical costs here are half of what medical costs in the States are," he says. "At the same time, our infant mortality is lower, our life expectancy is longer, our rates of obesity are a lot less. So there's got to be some positive aspects of living in Canada and with the Canadian medical system."

I am sorry, but you seem to be arguing something that I am not. I am not aruging if it is socialized. I am not arguing whos care is better. I am simply arguing that hte government, who pays for the medical care, can and do deny payment/service. This is evidenced in the story I provided, where the government's allocation officials denied care.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but you seem to be arguing something that I am not. I am not aruging if it is socialized. I am not arguing whos care is better. I am simply arguing that hte government, who pays for the medical care, can and do deny payment/service. This is evidenced in the story I provided, where the government's allocation officials denied care.
As obvious as all of that is and has been, you might as well be talking to a brick wall for all the good it will do you.

I think everyone should have access to the pill. I am glad my wife has it. However, I do not believe that a religious organization, that specifically teaches that BC is against the bible, should be required to pay for it. The only exception to that rule, is when it's medically necessary to correct a medical illness, disease.

Anything else is an abridgement of the organization's rights. The women that want free BC, are free to get a job with a company that offers BC as part of their insurance or they are free to pay for it themselves. The government should not be forcing religious institutions to go against their religion by paying for it.

As obvious as all of that is and has been, you might as well be talking to a brick wall for all the good it will do you.

I screwed up the quoting system. Sorry Middleground. I went back and fixed my post so if anyone else quotes it, it will properly list my name.

I screwed up the quoting system. Sorry Middleground. I went back and fixed my post so if anyone else quotes it, it will properly list my name.
I suspect I will shortly be proved either right or wrong, but I don't think the "disconnect" here has anything to do with your mangling of the quote feature. Though it is very kind of you to offer that olive branch.

I'm sorry, Hikertrash, I could only bear to listen to three minutes of this bleeding heart liberal with her "woe is me" attitude.

Now, I can probably accurately imagine what the rest of her speech says and my only response to her is...

Freaking take care of yourself, lady. The government isn't your mommy and daddy.
I notice it's generally the same folks who don't wan't the government to tell insurance companies to cover birth control for women; who do want the government to tell woman what they have to do with their bodies once they become pregnant.

I don't care how cute you are, but if you are in law school and begging for birth control pills....

I dunno...I'm not necessarily criticizing per se...I'm jus' sayin'....

/facepalm

...Anyone feel me?

Last edited:
I think everyone should have access to the pill. I am glad my wife has it. However, I do not believe that a religious organization, that specifically teaches that BC is against the bible, should be required to pay for it. The only exception to that rule, is when it's medically necessary to correct a medical illness, disease.

Anything else is an abridgement of the organization's rights. The women that want free BC, are free to get a job with a company that offers BC as part of their insurance or they are free to pay for it themselves. The government should not be forcing religious institutions to go against their religion by paying for it.
Which is why church's are exempt.

Which is why church's are exempt.

And as you know, religious organizations are not. THe government is abridging their rights too and, in the case of self-insured, requiring they pay directly for things against their religion.

Last edited:
And as you know, religious organizations are not. THe government is abridging their rights too. JUst because tehy are running a non-profit or for profit, does not mean that their rights end.
If "religious" organizations are allowed to be exempt, then companies all across the country which don't want to participate will suddenly become "religious."

Meanwhile, churches are exempt. I think that's fair.

Sorry, Buck. Just because our government didn't want to pay for a brain dead kid with no hope to be treated in the US does not mean our government interferes with our healthcare. They are primarily the bankers. Please read the NPR article that I linked as it is very accurate.

I see your point but I respectfully disagree. Once exceptions are made it will be a never ending open can of worms. Religion should have no say in state.

Sorry, Buck. Just because our government didn't want to pay for a brain dead kid with no hope to be treated in the US does not mean our government interferes with our healthcare. They are primarily the bankers. Please read the NPR article that I linked as it is very accurate.

Again, I am not arguing wether the government should have paid or not. I am only arguing that the government clearly denied the request and would not pay - there are other examples of this also.

Now that we have established that the government will deny care, will you acknowledge that the government had to review the records, or do you believe they made the denial without any knoweldge of the case at all?

If "religious" organizations are allowed to be exempt, then companies all across the country which don't want to participate will suddenly become "religious."

Meanwhile, churches are exempt. I think that's fair.

The religious organizations are often setup and run by the church. So, they are directly involved and are being required to go against their teachings.

It's easy for someone that is not affected to say "it's fair". Not so easy for those that are negatively affected to agree.

I see your point but I respectfully disagree. Once exceptions are made it will be a never ending open can of worms. Religion should have no say in state.

And the state should have no say in religion. Anyway, an exception has already been made, so let the worms open.

Back
Top Bottom