• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Calls Volt, Prius an "AIDS Ribbon" more great nuggets

Anybody got a clue where the batteries will be made? If you think the Arab Oil Cartel is bad, wait til you deal with the chinese lithium cartel....

Supposedly they will be made here in the U.S., but that doesn't mean the components will be made here.

It's interesting that the battery pack has a temperature operating range of 122 F to -13 F. Guess you shouldn't buy one if you live in Phoenix or Minnesota.

And you actually believe that every product made lasts for its entire warranty period ??? :lol:

I believe that they can't afford to warranty a product for that length of time if they know that as a general rule it's going to have a catastrophic failure before the warranty is up.

They will make a hell of a lot more money selling you $10,000. replacement batteries. I also noticed that they've already reduced the anticipated life of the batteries from 10 years and 150,000 miles to 8 years and 100,000 miles.

Okay, so the sum total of your argument against the Volt is, "the manufacturer is going to cheat you and the product is going to suck."

Even though the damn thing isn't on the road yet.

Got it.

I agree with Rush.

The Volt is part of Obama Motors and until that tie is severed (or 2012 arrives first), not one American should purchase an OM vehicle.

You may disagree with Rush all you want; the tenor of his arguement is cement: Nationalising the car industry while giving a multi-billion dollar bailout to the Unions (to pay their over-the-top lush benefits) is highway robbery.

I agree with Rush.

The Volt is part of Obama Motors and until that tie is severed (or 2012 arrives first), not one American should purchase an OM vehicle.

You may disagree with Rush all you want; the tenor of his arguement is cement: Nationalising the car industry while giving a multi-billion dollar bailout to the Unions (to pay their over-the-top lush benefits) is highway robbery.

Right, because god forbid we purchase a quality product and fuel employment at GM and their suppliers all at the same time. :lol:

Rush's views are utter excrement.

“However, you can get it for less — there's a $7,500 tax credit,” Limbaugh said with a sardonic tone on his Wednesday program. “Which means that Obama and the government are admitting that nobody wants this. Nobody wants it. We gotta give you a $7,500 discount. Why don't you try this, Mr. Obama, and the rest of you at Obama Motors: Just put it out there at 41 grand and let the market decide.”

I guess nobody wants a Tesla Roadster either.

Pricing starts at $101,500 after a federal tax credit of $7,500.
Tesla Unveils Roadster 2.5 Electric Sports Car

This isn't some concept vehicle made out of unobtanium. It's available today (well, there's a three month backlog in Roadster orders),

First Drive: 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport improves on original, keeps quirks — Autoblog Green

Oh wait. That doesn't make sense Mr. Limbaugh! If the reason there is a $7,500 credit for a car is because no one wants it, why does a car with a massive backlog of orders get the credit? :2wave:

"The iPhone was a game-changing product," Limbaugh said, "and it didn't take a tax credit. And they sold over 90 million of the things. A game-changing product does not need a tax credit. They're mutually exclusive.”

Gotta wonder if he realizes that Apple has a large amount of federal research credits that reduce taxes. The same kind that allowed Apple to produce the iPhone. hmmm.

I'm not going to recommend people go buy an electric car that gets 40 miles to a charge. That would shoot my credibility.”

So if your daily commute is 10 miles, a car with double the required capacity is a bad idea? Especially if you live in high gas price areas? My commute is 3 miles. Would the Volt be a bad idea where I drive? Especially when my gas is high? :roll:

I agree with Rush.

One must wonder if you know what Nationalization means. Especially how you use the term so wrongly. I guess you think that every public industry has been nationalized since various state and federal pensions own large portions of them. Is that you Chickie?

That quote utterly and completely failed to demonstrate that the Volt is a POS. If you get a tax credit for the kids you have, does that mean each of them is a POS too? :lol

Aside from that, I fail to understand why it is that a vehicle which averages roughly twice the best gas mileage currently available is a POS.

Sorry Dan, but that analogy doesn't work. It whole different thing for a different thread. Products versus people? Come on.

I believe that they can't afford to warranty a product for that length of time if they know that as a general rule it's going to have a catastrophic failure before the warranty is up.

Okay, so the sum total of your argument against the Volt is, "the manufacturer is going to cheat you and the product is going to suck."

Even though the damn thing isn't on the road yet.

Got it.

You obviously don't have much experience with warranties. Did you know most conventional car batteries have a warranty in the range of 60 months or so. If you've owned many cars, you will know that they rarely last that long. Do you think the battery manufacturers simply give you a new battery if your's goes bad after 50 months??? Hell no they don't. Most warranties have a pro-rated warranty. They deduct the amount of service you've gotten from the product and refund you the difference, which in most cases is a tiny percentage of the cost to replace it.

I don't know if the Volt's batteries will have a pro-rated warranty, but I would be completely surprised if they don't. So far, they are not saying, at least I couldn't find any specifics on the warranty.

You obviously don't have much experience with warranties. Did you know most conventional car batteries have a warranty in the range of 60 months or so. If you've owned many cars, you will know that they rarely last that long.

I've owned about a half-dozen cars in my life (I generally buy used and drive them into the ground) and I've never had a problem with my batteries dying early.

Do you think the battery manufacturers simply give you a new battery if your's goes bad after 50 months??? Hell no they don't. Most warranties have a pro-rated warranty. They deduct the amount of service you've gotten from the product and refund you the difference, which in most cases is a tiny percentage of the cost to replace it.

If it's a tiny percentage of the cost to replace it then . . . it must be, by your own explanation, that it failed just a brief while before the warranty was up.

I don't know if the Volt's batteries will have a pro-rated warranty, but I would be completely surprised if they don't. So far, they are not saying, at least I couldn't find any specifics on the warranty.

Well, then, that makes it hard to bash on it, don't it? :lol:

No, he didn't.

He poked fun at the cost of showing how much you CARE.

Used to be $.10 for an AIDS ribbon, now it's $41K to show you CARE.

To say he "compared them" is inaccurate. He compared what they SYMBOLIZE.
:2funny::2funny::2funny:

Holy ****, Vicchio, with logic like that.... it's no wonder you lean so far right.

Good thing you put 'symbolize' in CAPS -- that really hammered home your point.:roll: W/o the CAPS it wouldn't have made sense at all...:roll:

Anyone who listens to a drug addicted hypocrite for their information.....deserves the level of mentality that they get.

I've owned about a half-dozen cars in my life (I generally buy used and drive them into the ground) and I've never had a problem with my batteries dying early.

If it's a tiny percentage of the cost to replace it then . . . it must be, by your own explanation, that it failed just a brief while before the warranty was up.

Well, then, that makes it hard to bash on it, don't it? :lol:

Thanks for confirming my post. You know absolutely nothing about warranties and how they work. Come back when you have some experience or gain some knowledge.

Batteries currently sold in the big box stores have a replacement period of a few years, then a pro-rated period. SOME people know how to make a battery fail, and they do this just before the replacement warranty expires. The stores don't check, they just pony up the new battery.

I doubt seriously that the dealerships will be that stupid...but its a thought.:2razz:

Thanks for confirming my post. You know absolutely nothing about warranties and how they work. Come back when you have some experience or gain some knowledge.

What are you talking about? You made a statement, I used it to spank you. Me calling you on misleading statements has no bearing on anything other than you looking silly.

Nice try, though.

First of all there are different kinds of batteries. The ones sold in the US are normally lead/acid types. The ones sold in Yurp are usually nickel/cadium types which last much longer than lead/acid.

Know your batteries.

First of all there are different kinds of batteries. The ones sold in the US are normally lead/acid types. The ones sold in Yurp are usually nickel/cadium types which last much longer than lead/acid.

Know your batteries.
Which batteries are you talking about? Car batteries?
We replaced lead acid battery banks on our microwave sites with NiCad, and they did NOT last longer, and that was with good maintenance....

We replaced lead acid battery banks on our microwave sites with NiCad, and they did NOT last longer, and that was with good maintenance....

My science teacher in school told me that nickel/cadium batteries were better and lasted longer.

My science teacher in school told me that nickel/cadium batteries were better and lasted longer.

Depends on usage...
Your science teacher has left out a ton of information.
Different uses, different requirements exist, and that is why we have so many different kinds of batteries.
For starting cars, lead acid still prevails....

Know your batteries.

Yep. The Volt will be using Lithium-ion batteries.

Well, it's not just good maintenance, it's also proper usage and charging.

NiCads, for example, like to be drained before they're recharged. If you charge them before you finish depleting them, they develop what is known as "battery memory," meaning they'll hold a smaller charge next time you use them.

My dad (deputy Sheriff) used to leave his rover on with the volume down when he went to bed, so that the battery would finish discharging before he plugged the pack in.

As for lead-acid, they really don't like to be fully discharged, and they most definitely do like being used roughly for the brief time they are used, so they're great for startups.

Back
Top Bottom