• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Calls Volt, Prius an "AIDS Ribbon" more great nuggets

Rush rips Volt, 'Obama Motors' - Tim Alberta - POLITICO.com

Definitely entertaining if nothing else. Got to love the BIB!
“However, you can get it for less — there's a $7,500 tax credit,” Limbaugh said with a sardonic tone on his Wednesday program. “Which means that Obama and the government are admitting that nobody wants this. Nobody wants it. We gotta give you a $7,500 discount. Why don't you try this, Mr. Obama, and the rest of you at Obama Motors: Just put it out there at 41 grand and let the market decide.”

Limbaugh repeated this sentiment throughout the segment, later quoting an “Obama vehicles executive” — referring to GM's vehicle line director for the Volt, Tony Posawatz — who called the Volt “a game-changing product.”

"The iPhone was a game-changing product," Limbaugh said, "and it didn't take a tax credit. And they sold over 90 million of the things. A game-changing product does not need a tax credit. They're mutually exclusive.”

Read more: Rush rips Volt, 'Obama Motors' - Tim Alberta - POLITICO.com

Oh, now I see why you didn't quote Rush... cause he nails the volt as a POS.

AND your thread title is... false. He did not call the Volt, Prius an "AIDS Ribbon".
Learn to READ.

"OK, $30,000 for Prius, $41,000 for a Chevy Volt and 10 cents for a red AIDS ribbon," he said. "Look how much the cost has gone up to show how much you care. You used to be able to show everybody how superior you were and how much you cared with a 10-cent red ribbon. Now you gotta spend 30 grand or 41 grand on a car to show everybody how much better you are than everybody else."

Read more: Rush rips Volt, 'Obama Motors' - Tim Alberta - POLITICO.com

Here is what Rush doesn't realize about the iPhone--it is heavily subsidized (actual cost $600) by AT&T which themselves gets grants and contracts with the government. Also yeah he compared them to an AIDS ribbon.

Here is what Rush doesn't realize about the iPhone--it is heavily subsidized (actual cost $600) by AT&T which themselves gets grants and contracts with the government. Also yeah he compared them to an AIDS ribbon.

No, he didn't.

He poked fun at the cost of showing how much you CARE.

Used to be $.10 for an AIDS ribbon, now it's $41K to show you CARE.

To say he "compared them" is inaccurate. He compared what they SYMBOLIZE.

And you're iPhone bit, man talk about REACHING. ATT subsidized the phone, but charged you more PER MONTH, so over the life of the contract, guess what? You paid them back for the phone.

And it's immaterial as to whether ATT get's gov't grants and contracts and the cost of an iPhone. Reaching buddy, reaching.

That'd be like claiming that McD's dollar menu is thanks to the fact the Gov't does business with McD's (On military bases).

ALL cell phones are heavily subsidized by cell companies.... what else is new ???

Oh, now I see why you didn't quote Rush... cause he nails the volt as a POS.

That quote utterly and completely failed to demonstrate that the Volt is a POS. If you get a tax credit for the kids you have, does that mean each of them is a POS too? :lol

Aside from that, I fail to understand why it is that a vehicle which averages roughly twice the best gas mileage currently available is a POS.

That quote utterly and completely failed to demonstrate that the Volt is a POS. If you get a tax credit for the kids you have, does that mean each of them is a POS too? :lol

Aside from that, I fail to understand why it is that a vehicle which averages roughly twice the best gas mileage currently available is a POS.

The bolded part sums up your entire post.

Do you know how many gallons the Volt Gas tank is? The best info I've seen/heard is 9 Gallons. 340 Miles on 9 gallons is roughly 37.7MPG.

My Focus get's 35.

So yeah, there is that 40 or so miles of battery you can drive on, and for folks that live close to work/shopping that's ACES! More power to you.

I do lot's of driving, our car is, 3 years old in Oct and has 60k on it all ready.

Actually, its probably more efficient to just buy a motorcycle if you want to reduce gas mileage than it is to get an electric car.

Not as safe though.

No, he didn't.

He poked fun at the cost of showing how much you CARE.

Used to be $.10 for an AIDS ribbon, now it's $41K to show you CARE.

To say he "compared them" is inaccurate. He compared what they SYMBOLIZE.
In the last 10 years, I have listened to about 15 minutes of Rush.

5 of those minutes included the very thing you noted above, and I can say that you are absolutely correct.

If those that hate Rush so much had any real basis for their hate, they'd not have to make things up.

Actually, its probably more efficient to just buy a motorcycle if you want to reduce gas mileage than it is to get an electric car.

Not as safe though.

Unfortunately that solution is only good for Summer, Spring and possibly Fall (depending where you live).

I don't hate Rush at all, in fact I have fond memories of listening to him in my granddad's truck as a kid on our way to ACE's to get some more wire for a fence on the farm (his BIB jingle? I love it) just the guy is a little crazy sometimes.

The guy makes a lot of really odd assumptions and generalizations that are completely untrue. On one hand, the guy loves to call young people lazy because I guess we all live off the government, but then the next minute he is talking about how much he supports the troops..which aren't most of them young people? The $7,500 credit he is talking about also doesn't just apply to the Volt, it applies to quite a few cars depending on the price. It is used to help stimulate the economy, keep jobs, and help the environment. It kills 3 birds with one stone.

The guy makes a lot of really odd assumptions and generalizations that are completely untrue.
A lot of people claim that, and yet, so few are ever able to back up said claim with specifics.

On one hand, the guy loves to call young people lazy because I guess we all live off the government, but then the next minute he is talking about how much he supports the troops..which aren't most of them young people?
Right here. It was on his show the other day. Do you just want me to record it next time, post it up here then give you specifics that way?

TacticalEvilDan said:
If you get a tax credit for the kids you have, does that mean each of them is a POS too?

This made me lol. This may end up in my sig in the near future, just FYI.

Do you know how many gallons the Volt Gas tank is? The best info I've seen/heard is 9 Gallons. 340 Miles on 9 gallons is roughly 37.7MPG.

My Focus get's 35.

So yeah, there is that 40 or so miles of battery you can drive on, and for folks that live close to work/shopping that's ACES! More power to you.

I do lot's of driving, our car is, 3 years old in Oct and has 60k on it all ready.

The Volt, however, can use both gasoline and grid electricity; thus, assigning a fuel economy value that only refers to on-board gasoline would not be appropriate. The EPA is working on an updated methodology for determining and then reporting the equivalent fuel economy of PHEVs. An EPA presentation to the Society of Automotive Engineers in February, 2009 discussed a method based on SAE J1711 to combine the gasoline fuel economy with the electrical fuel economy using the petroleum equivalency factor of 33.7 kW·h⁄gallonUS (the lower heating value of gasoline and the value used by the DOE[78]) which would combine GM's estimated city fuel economies for the Volt into an overall 85 mpgge[notes 1] for reporting.[79][80]

Chevrolet Volt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the last 10 years, I have listened to about 15 minutes of Rush.

5 of those minutes included the very thing you noted above, and I can say that you are absolutely correct.

If those that hate Rush so much had any real basis for their hate, they'd not have to make things up.

I don't hate Rush, I just accept that he mixes in the truth with made-up crap and crap that may as well be made-up because of how he presents it.

The other day, he was giving Obama a hard time about his announcement that we're getting out of Iraq on schedule.

Rush brought up a plan Obama had proposed way back when that would've had us out by March 08 and wanted to know what happened to THAT plan.

Never mind the fact that Obama wasn't even President then, right? :lol:

I don't hate Rush, I just accept that he mixes in the truth with made-up crap and crap that may as well be made-up because of how he presents it.

The other day, he was giving Obama a hard time about his announcement that we're getting out of Iraq on schedule.

Rush brought up a plan Obama had proposed way back when that would've had us out by March 08 and wanted to know what happened to THAT plan.

Never mind the fact that Obama wasn't even President then, right? :lol:

No, that was just what he promised he would do if elected, in order to garnish the anti-war voters. Rush was just pointing out the BS our beloved leader shoveled to get elected.

No, that was just what he promised he would do if elected, in order to garnish the anti-war voters. Rush was just pointing out the BS our beloved leader shoveled to get elected.

He's a politcian not a clergy.

Rush said that Obama claimed he had a plan for getting us out of Iraq before he was elected and acted like Obama was a liar because it didn't happen.

It didn't happen because he wasn't in a position in do anything about it in the time frame he specified.

If you want to say something like "talk is cheap" that's fine, but calling the man a liar over that is exactly the same as making **** up.

My Focus get's 35.

More importantly, my van, which I could sell for $2000, gets 12 miles to the gallon, and at today's prices and how much I use the car, I'd have to keep that junky Volt for 26 years to make up the purchase price in the savings in gas.

But Volt's are only going to be good for 5 years or so, and then the battery will have to be replaced at horrible cost.

I don't hate Rush at all, in fact I have fond memories of listening to him in my granddad's truck as a kid on our way to ACE's to get some more wire for a fence on the farm (his BIB jingle? I love it) just the guy is a little crazy sometimes.

The guy makes a lot of really odd assumptions and generalizations that are completely untrue. On one hand, the guy loves to call young people lazy because I guess we all live off the government, but then the next minute he is talking about how much he supports the troops..which aren't most of them young people? The $7,500 credit he is talking about also doesn't just apply to the Volt, it applies to quite a few cars depending on the price. It is used to help stimulate the economy, keep jobs, and help the environment. It kills 3 birds with one stone.

Hmmm...then again, the men and women in military service aren't "living off the government", they're providing a Constitutionally required service, national defense, at less than minimum hourly wage.

Borrowing money to subsidize crap like the Volt and any other car is not "stimulating the economy", it's hogwash. The measure of the market's desire for a product is measured by it's demand without subsidies. The introduction of subsidies distorts the market, skews the demand, and rewards those who aren't tuned to what the market wants, thereby punishing those who are trying to provide the market demand without government interference.

The Volt doesn't help the environment. There's that bit about most people getting their electricity from coal and oil fired power stations, and then there's that bit about disposing of that pesky gigantic battery at end-of-life.

Piker.

My car was 3 years old in may and has 110k miles.

Honestly though, hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles are only really useful to people who do mostly city driving and have a short commute. For anyone else, they're a colossal waste of money. They're getting better though. We're working on one that'll have a 100 mile range on batteries alone, at freeway speeds.

Back
Top Bottom