• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Runaway Inmates - and collaring

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My daughter asked me this after hearing of a few inmates that have escaped from jail recently:

"Why don't they track inmates with GPS? They could put a tag on a permanent collar which is only removed when they're set free?"

Big Sister. LOL - I see cost being an issue to tagging (like with an anklet) inmates, considering how un-often any escape.

My daughter asked me this after hearing of a few inmates that have escaped from jail recently:

"Why don't they track inmates with GPS? They could put a tag on a permanent collar which is only removed when they're set free?"

Big Sister. LOL - I see cost being an issue to tagging (like with an anklet) inmates, considering how un-often any escape.

The NSA already has this covered.

Or just injecting a microchip behind their ear....

Seriously though, lets not give the government any more ideas on how to track people....

This is a popular Sci-Fi concept. I've seen it in multiple books.

It's actually not a bad idea. An implant would be better than a collar but I suspect liability issues make it too risky. Escapes are relatively rare from high security prisons anyway.

Or just injecting a microchip behind their ear....

Seriously though, lets not give the government any more ideas on how to track people....

So you don't anticipate chipping and barcoding are in our future? It would eliminate all illegal immigration and most fugitives if we simply put bar code readers at all public facilities. Behind on your child support - BANG - we gotcha in minutes.

So you don't anticipate chipping and barcoding are in our future? It would eliminate all illegal immigration and most fugitives if we simply put bar code readers at all public facilities. Behind on your child support - BANG - we gotcha in minutes.

The rate we're going, I can totally see that happening.

The rate we're going, I can totally see that happening.

Eventually we will have a billion citizens. How will we function without this type of technology that has already been invented? It sounds awful, I know. But reality sometimes trumps our imagined "freedoms".

imgres.jpeg

Eventually we will have a billion citizens. How will we function without this type of technology that has already been invented? It sounds awful, I know. But reality sometimes trumps our imagined "freedoms".

Only when we wish to no longer be free.

Unfortunately, I do see it..... hopefully, long after I'm ashes in the wind.....

Unfortunately, I do see it..... hopefully, long after I'm ashes in the wind.....

You've already seen it. Think about the changes over your lifetime. Its gradual but inexorable.

Only when we wish to no longer be free.

Who is "we"? This isn't a consequence of collective desire. You can ask absolutely anyone "do you want to be free" and the answer will always be yes. But at the same time, there is not only the desire for more safety, but technology itself causes the change. Do you think you're free now? Were you free 10 years ago? 20? 30?

Who is "we"? This isn't a consequence of collective desire. You can ask absolutely anyone "do you want to be free" and the answer will always be yes. But at the same time, there is not only the desire for more safety, but technology itself causes the change. Do you think you're free now? Were you free 10 years ago? 20? 30?

We're not really free right now. We have to report too much to the government, but we're not horribly oppressed at this point either. We are less free now than 10, 20 and 30 years ago and as long as we allow this to trudge forward, we will become less free. Free is not, never has been, and never will be safe. Safe is the desire of those willing to forgo freedom. Allowing government a free hand at developing technology without insisting on proper restrictions is done by those willing to forgo freedom.

it's time to understand the consequences, repercussions, and responsibilities of freedom. If we continue on this path and delude ourselves into thinking our "safety" given by the government is safe and free, we will find ourselves slaves on the land our forefather's conquered. And that's all there is to that.

Man up or move out I say, but you can't really force anyone to move.

We're not really free right now. We have to report too much to the government, but we're not horribly oppressed at this point either. We are less free now than 10, 20 and 30 years ago and as long as we allow this to trudge forward, we will become less free. Free is not, never has been, and never will be safe. Safe is the desire of those willing to forgo freedom. Allowing government a free hand at developing technology without insisting on proper restrictions is done by those willing to forgo freedom.

it's time to understand the consequences, repercussions, and responsibilities of freedom. If we continue on this path and delude ourselves into thinking our "safety" given by the government is safe and free, we will find ourselves slaves on the land our forefather's conquered. And that's all there is to that.

Man up or move out I say, but you can't really force anyone to move.

That was my point. This alleged "freedom" has disappeared over time. Will this become abusive? For example, the NSA kerfuffle - does anybody (besides Snowden) give a rat's ass? Maybe on internet political boards it sounds like they do but really? Any moment now, someone will be along to say that we really haven't lost any freedom - but maybe we actually have.

It only matters if "the other party" does it. If your current King does it, why that's OK because we must keep America safe.:roll:

That was my point. This alleged "freedom" has disappeared over time. Will this become abusive? For example, the NSA kerfuffle - does anybody (besides Snowden) give a rat's ass? Maybe on internet political boards it sounds like they do but really? Any moment now, someone will be along to say that we really haven't lost any freedom - but maybe we actually have.

It only matters if "the other party" does it. If your current King does it, why that's OK because we must keep America safe.:roll:

It all matters.

Yes, the Republocrats make it seem that there are two parties to their single party rule and point the finger at the other side continually. But that's part of the game, it's a way to remove the People from the government and a way for single party control over our entire system. That is a problem, for all of us. If you can't see that, it is unfortunate that we've fallen so far. The NSA BS is exceedingly important because it's the government expanding its own boundaries and now you may sit here and say "who cares" but when they expand them in such a way as to negatively affect you, you'll be crying in your Wheaties. The problem will be that people are too so short sighted that they let it get to irrevocable levels before tuning in. That's the danger here; the lazy, stupid, and complacent people are the threat detailed by Daniel Webster all those years ago.

“I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe . . . Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger. I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing. Make them intelligent, and they will be vigilant; give them the means of detecting the wrong, and they will apply the remedy.”
― Daniel Webster

Doing nothing is the surest way to lose the Republic. Allowing government its hand is the best way to lose your freedom. Every time the government takes, a little piece of our freedom dies.

It all matters.

Yes, the Republocrats make it seem that there are two parties to their single party rule and point the finger at the other side continually. But that's part of the game, it's a way to remove the People from the government and a way for single party control over our entire system. That is a problem, for all of us. If you can't see that, it is unfortunate that we've fallen so far. The NSA BS is exceedingly important because it's the government expanding its own boundaries and now you may sit here and say "who cares" but when they expand them in such a way as to negatively affect you, you'll be crying in your Wheaties. The problem will be that people are too so short sighted that they let it get to irrevocable levels before tuning in. That's the danger here; the lazy, stupid, and complacent people are the threat detailed by Daniel Webster all those years ago.

“I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe . . . Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger. I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing. Make them intelligent, and they will be vigilant; give them the means of detecting the wrong, and they will apply the remedy.”
― Daniel Webster

Doing nothing is the surest way to lose the Republic. Allowing government its hand is the best way to lose your freedom. Every time the government takes, a little piece of our freedom dies.

I think you think that I'm disagreeing with you but I'm not.

So, what do you suggest "we" do about it, short of developing a mind control machine that causes us to unite and get something else?

I think you think that I'm disagreeing with you but I'm not.

So, what do you suggest "we" do about it, short of developing a mind control machine that causes us to unite and get something else?

I'm developing a mind control machine.

What can we do about willful ignorance? It's hard, nigh impossible to beat. So long as people's tomorrows are the same as today, many people aren't going to care. So long as they can trudge through life with some amount of delusion of grandure about themselves, they will convince themselves that its right.

But over half the voting population doesn't vote, that's the election right there. The election doesn't vote. I think people need to be made blatantly aware of their power, the course of government, and how while tomorrow may seem oh so much like today, it's not. Can we solve it? I have zero clue, I'd like to think that with enough rational argument and demonstration that people will begin to care.

Not the first time i've heard this suggestion. There was even a push for it a few years back though I can't remember who/where/what I heard it from. It is most certainly a good idea.

Which is why I am against it.

Reason? Because it was at the same time that the same thing was being suggested for being put into kids. I see it as nothing more than people trying to take baby steps towards getting the idea of GPS tracking "normalized" and "accepted". Eventually going for some sort of society like was portrayed in Demolition Man where everyone has a chip put into them automatically. No thanks.

Yeah yeah, I know, conspiracy theory, slippery slope fallacy, yadda yadda yadda. So sorry that I don't trust lying politicians that have shown that incrementalism is a reality over the past 100 years. As Mal said on Serenity...I aim to misbehave. ;)

Oh I don't know...why don't you ask China?

Oh I don't know...why don't you ask China?

What is the question I should ask China? Do they use technology to control their citizens? Do you even bother with technology when you have over a billion citizens?

What is the question I should ask China? Do they use technology to control their citizens? Do you even bother with technology when you have over a billion citizens?

China has over a billion citizens. Yet they function without this technology. You're first post questioned how we would function without using this technology once we have over a billion people. Well....ask China how they function. They have 1.3 billion last I checked. Since they are not using the technology they should be able to answer your question for you.

China had this population before this technology existed and their alternative to this tech seems to have been much stricter laws and the willingness to enforce them. Will they adopt (or have they already adopted) a technological method(s) of population control? Do they not monitor the internet? Overseas calls? Or are they a bastion of liberty compared to America.

We only have 300 million people and relatively open borders. We make more enemies than friends. If we do this now, can ou imagine what we will be like after we add another 700 million?

But at your suggestion I called China and they said they have things under control.:)

China has over a billion citizens. Yet they function without this technology. You're first post questioned how we would function without using this technology once we have over a billion people. Well....ask China how they function. They have 1.3 billion last I checked. Since they are not using the technology they should be able to answer your question for you.

Would we really be happier... or even better off... by being that "efficient"?

Would we really be happier... or even better off... by being that "efficient"?

Well, I'm sure you know there was a bit of humor in that statement but just for the heck of it, I'll try to rationalize it.

Isn't everything better by being efficient?

What actual value do you get out of "freedom"? It's purely psychological.

Isn't all technology embraced eventually?

Even with all the tracking going on now, how has this harmed you?

Wouldn't it solve all these immigration problems 100%?

Wouldn't it eliminate many threats like terrorism?

When you get down to it, freedom is unimportant UNLESS there are bad guys in charge. So all this inefficiency comes from protecting you from Obama or someone like him.

Now I'm depressed.

Back
Top Bottom