• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Run Through the Pain or Not?

Agent Ferris

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Past the edge of the universe, through the singula
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I don't know what I did but my left ass cheek hurts and causes a slight limp and ****s up my stride as I run. I've gotten up to 3 miles a day and I don't want to take even a day off so I ran through it yesterday (only a mile) and ran 3 flights of steps ten times. Should I take today off and just do calisthenics instead or run through it?

Last edited:
You can run through minor pain. However, you should never attempt to run through pain that is significant enough to alter your stride. The reason being is that by doing so, you risk other injuries. For example, if you have strained your glutes, then you may attempt to compensate while running by using your calve muscle more, this could then strain your calve muscles, which causes them to knot up, and puts more stress on your achilles and could eventually result in achilles tendinitis.

You can run through minor pain. However, you should never attempt to run through pain that is significant enough to alter your stride. The reason being is that by doing so, you risk other injuries. For example, if you have strained your glutes, then you may attempt to compensate while running by using your calve muscle more, this could then strain your calve muscles, which causes them to knot up, and puts more stress on your achilles and could eventually result in achilles tendinitis.

Ya it did effect my stride and I kept running for a few days but then took the next two days off and only ran a mile each day for 3 days and rested again on the 4th, now it feels better and I'm back up to 3 miles without significant tenderness.

I don't know what I did but my left ass cheek hurts and causes a slight limp and ****s up my stride as I run. I've gotten up to 3 miles a day and I don't want to take even a day off so I ran through it yesterday (only a mile) and ran 3 flights of steps ten times. Should I take today off and just do calisthenics instead or run through it?

Run if someone is chasing you with a blood soaked machete. Otherwise let it heal...short term vs long term...

Sounds like you did the right thing. You have to be able to differentiate between pain and soreness. If you have pain you shouldn't continue what you are doing that causes/exacerbates the pain even if its mild(unless you are in the middle of a race or whatever). That's how people develop chronic issues in joints, and/or pain and weakness in specific muscles, which can lead to guarding in other muscles or stress on supporting structures. Cases of mild inflammation are easily fixed with a few days rest, ice and compression, followed by a few weeks of warming up the tissues before exercise, stretching, and then exercising into your routine. I can tell you from clinical experience that even "fit" people who run, lift, or engage in an overabundance of one exercise type exclusively, are going to develop musculoskeletal dysfunctions along the way. You just have to recognize the type of pain you have, and allow your body time to heal it, but not too long so that you become deconditioned. Length of recovery obviously depends on the level of trauma, age, genetics, etc....

Running through pain was invented by ignorant high school coaches. I know, I had one. Pain is a protective mechanism that should be heeded. I ran track and cross-country in HS, and there were idiots younger than me already wrapping their knees from injuries. People are much smarter now, but there were many fools in the old days.

I don't understand what you could possibly gain from running through pain.

Running through the pain, and risking not being able to run for the next couple of weeks defeats the purpose of running in the first place.

Unless there's somebody after you. Don't "run through the pain".

Run through fatigue, but don't run through pain. Running past your comfort limit is good, running past your physical limit is dangerous.

Should I take today off and just do calisthenics instead or run through it?
Yes. I wouldnt push it. More than moderate exercise is not good for most people anyway.

Running through pain was invented by ignorant high school coaches. I know, I had one. Pain is a protective mechanism that should be heeded. I ran track and cross-country in HS, and there were idiots younger than me already wrapping their knees from injuries. People are much smarter now, but there were many fools in the old days.

Dear god. I agree with American. It's the end times, people! :lamo

Sounds like you need to also check your running shoes. Once you start a serious running routine (you haven't used the word "jog") you need to get a 2nd pair of good running shoes - one for each day. The rubber used in the soles can start to compress (especially with intensity exercise like running stairs or hills) if you use the same shoes every day so a 2nd pair allows the rubber some time to recover. (Don't wear the shoes around town either as you don't allow the soles to recover either)
Sorbethane insoles also help to cushion impact on your knee and upper thigh muscles.

If you're lucky enough to have a proper sports shop (and the assistants are runners) get shoe advice from them. There are some really good (and inexpensive) running shoes out there among the high price fashion shoes that many people are fooled into buying.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to also check your running shoes. Once you start a serious running routine (you haven't used the word "jog") you need to get a 2nd pair of good running shoes - one for each day. The rubber used in the soles can start to compress (especially with intensity exercise like running stairs or hills) if you use the same shoes every day so a 2nd pair allows the rubber some time to recover. (Don't wear the shoes around town either as you don't allow the soles to recover either)
Sorbethane insoles also help to cushion impact on your knee and upper thigh muscles.

If you're lucky enough to have a proper sports shop (and the assistants are runners) get shoe advice from them. There are some really good (and inexpensive) running shoes out there among the high price fashion shoes that many people are fooled into buying.

Good advice I've just been using an old pair of Chuck Taylors.

Good advice I've just been using an old pair of Chuck Taylors.

OUCH!

If you want your knees to work when you reach 40 then invest in some decent running shoes. 2 pairs at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom