• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Run Away Bride

Should the run away bride have to repay the costs incurred during the search for her?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rev.

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Should the run away bride have to repay costs incurred during the search for her?

Well done Rev. :lol: Hannity had an in depth interview with the groom. Apparently she had other problems to resolve aside from the pressure of the big wedding. She needs help, but should still be held accountable for what she did.

Yes and no. She needs mental help. That much is clear. However, her paying it back to the community really depends on two factors: will it ruin her life and is there another way to get it back.

Will it ruin her life if she has to pay that much? I honestly don't know how much we are talking, but if it is the millions, it will bankrupt her and her future family for decades and that is not fair to them (the family). So, please tell me how much we are talking. If it is somewhere in the 100,000 to 200,000 range, then that is easily do-able over the course of a lifetime.

I doubt it would be in the millions. The Judge usually decides what amount of retribution is to be made. It should be enough to sting a bit.

Squawker said:
I doubt it would be in the millions. The Judge usually decides what amount of retribution is to be made. It should be enough to sting a bit.
Yeah, not in the millions, just looked it up on Cnn.com. It is somewhere between 40,000 to 60,000 dollars for the overtime and crew pay that were involved in her rescue. That is definetly within her capability and will allow her to get on with her life but while making her realize what she did was wrong.

Now, onto whether she should be thrown in jail. The principle of this is...she hurt us, we hurt her. But is that really going to help her in the long run, or is it just going to be punishment, plain and simple? The point of the corrections system, note the name, is to provide those released with a new lease on life so to speak, going from bad to better. But just doing time won't help her in my opinion. What she needs is serious mental help and marriage counciling (sp?). Just throwing her in jail won't help her but only satisfy our need for vengeance.

ShamMol said:
So, please tell me how much we are talking. If it is somewhere in the 100,000 to 200,000 range, then that is easily do-able over the course of a lifetime.

The number I heard quoted was 100,000.

But don't you think people who have generally proven themselves to make good decisions, work hard etc deserve a "get out of jail free" card at least once in their lives? I mean, we are not talking about a habitual offender here, or someone who is very likely to do this again. And how could anyone anticipate it would cost so much?

If it was in the millions who shoud've paid? She is the only one to blame and should pay every cent that she has cost.

ShamMol said:
Yeah, not in the millions, just looked it up on Cnn.com. It is somewhere between 40,000 to 60,000 dollars for the overtime and crew pay that were involved in her rescue. That is definetly within her capability and will allow her to get on with her life but while making her realize what she did was wrong.

Now, onto whether she should be thrown in jail. The principle of this is...she hurt us, we hurt her. But is that really going to help her in the long run, or is it just going to be punishment, plain and simple? The point of the corrections system, note the name, is to provide those released with a new lease on life so to speak, going from bad to better. But just doing time won't help her in my opinion. What she needs is serious mental help and marriage counciling (sp?). Just throwing her in jail won't help her but only satisfy our need for vengeance.

I think there’s another piece to this you’re not considering. Putting her in jail makes her an example and shows people that behavior that is costly and responsible has costs. Society should not have to flip the bill because some one didn’t have the nerve or b*lls, pardon the expression, to pick up the phone and tell her friends and loved ones she was alright. There’s no way on earth this woman didn’t know people were looking for her and were worried about her. As far as I’m concerned they should charge her with a crime, whatever crime her state laws allow. If she’s convicted of that crime she should be made to reimburse the cost (all the cost) of the search and the judge should sentence her to what ever he/she feels the situation mandates. That sentence could be anything from jail time to community service. I’m ok with her sitting in a cell for a few weeks or picking up trash on the side of the road. Either way she should be made to pay both in cash and time. Just the amount of resources her case took from other actual crimes was a crime. I have no interest in vengeance. I do have an interest in holding people accountable for their actions and behaviors.

On a side note: Out of all the talking heads I saw speaking endlessly about this situation, Sean Hannity is the only guy I saw that seemed to have any sense of reality. He asked, several times, if it was possible if this woman just got cold feet. Turns out he was right. All the other yaking heads had this as a crime. Some basically had the boyfriend convicted by the morning of the second day because he hadn't taken a polygraph. Hannity asked one of his guests if this woman could have just gotten cold feet and walked and the guest said “No, it just about has to be a crime, and most likely it’s someone close to her.” HINT, HINT Boyfriend did it, boyfriend did it. Hannity didn’t bite. Any one on here knows I have an intense dislike for Fox News and very little respect for Hannity. Sean regained some of my respect over the weekend. Credit where credit’s due.

ShamMol said:
http://homepage.mac.com/onegoodmove/movies/ds050205media.html

That shows hannity saying that, and stewart mocking the media for this fiasco.

I saw Hannity say it more then once. Trust me I'm the last guy to be praising Sean Hannity. But he was absolutely right about this one. And for once he wasn't calling for anyone's head on stick. Like I said credit where credits due.

Last edited:
Pacridge said:
I saw Hannity say it more then once. Trust me I'm the last guy to be praising Sean Hannity. But he was absolutely right about this one. And for once he wasn't calling for anyone's head on stick. Like I said credit where credits due.
Trust me I know, I was as shocked as you.

Back
Top Bottom