• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rudy Giuliani: Nails it!

blaxshep

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
(CNN) — Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani stood by his recent comments Monday that the Black Lives Matter movement is "inherently racist."

Giuliani told CBS on Sunday that he thinks the activist movement, aimed at preventing violence toward the African-American community, exacerbated racial tensions by putting a target on the backs of police officers.

"I would like people to know that the New York City Police Department is a non-majority white police department," Giuliani said. "I understand the other side of it. I don't mean not to talk about the other side of it ... The American people get a wrong impression and Black Lives Matter, therefore, puts a target on the backs of (police officers)."

Rudy Giuliani: Black Lives Matter 'inherently racist' - CNNPolitics.com

(CNN) — Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani stood by his recent comments Monday that the Black Lives Matter movement is "inherently racist."

Giuliani told CBS on Sunday that he thinks the activist movement, aimed at preventing violence toward the African-American community, exacerbated racial tensions by putting a target on the backs of police officers.

"I would like people to know that the New York City Police Department is a non-majority white police department," Giuliani said. "I understand the other side of it. I don't mean not to talk about the other side of it ... The American people get a wrong impression and Black Lives Matter, therefore, puts a target on the backs of (police officers)."

:doh :doh :doh
Just no.

"Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That’s the situation of the “black lives matter” movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.

The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn’t work that way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn’t want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That’s not made up out of whole cloth — there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it’s generally not considered “news”, while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate — young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don’t treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don’t pay as much attention to certain people’s deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don’t treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase “black lives matter” also has an implicit “too” at the end: it’s saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying “all lives matter” is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It’s a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means “only black lives matter,” when that is obviously not the case. And so saying “all lives matter” as a direct response to “black lives matter” is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem." This is the perfect response to “All Lives Matter” | Fusion

Just no.

"Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That’s the situation of the “black lives matter” movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.

The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn’t work that way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn’t want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That’s not made up out of whole cloth — there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it’s generally not considered “news”, while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate — young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don’t treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don’t pay as much attention to certain people’s deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don’t treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase “black lives matter” also has an implicit “too” at the end: it’s saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying “all lives matter” is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It’s a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means “only black lives matter,” when that is obviously not the case. And so saying “all lives matter” as a direct response to “black lives matter” is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem." This is the perfect response to “All Lives Matter” | Fusion

Utter non-sense.

Utter non-sense.
Tell it like it is, Rudy! (and for all you malcontents out there, he is and EXPERT, and he KNOWS what he is talking about)

Just no.

I think the kid in your first example didn't do his homework and will be fed, when he has (too).

I'm not sure I agree that "black lives matters" as a slogan is racist. I do think he's 100% correct that they are exacerbating tensions. And I can't believe people are pretending they didn't contribute in any way to the angst of Micah Johnson.

Just no.

None of that matters when there is no internal assessment of the situation.
Always, always blaming others, when it's not always others, will not solve the problem, ever.

BLM is foisting up people that were not innocent, as innocent victims.
Situations that are still under investigation, where we don't fully know what happened, as innocent victims.
It's a crock of ****, it's anti intellectual, it's just reactionary mobism.

Bad cops put a target on cops' backs.

No, it's not. Trying to dismiss it by simply calling it that indicates it's either over your head or you're simply not interested in honest discourse.

Right, there is a systematic conspiracy among all the police to discriminate against black people and keep them from getting fair treatment. :screwy

Thugs are what keeps the black man down. A cop shooting a thug that is resisting arrest and assaulting him is a good cop.

Hey man nice shot!

Right, there is a systematic conspiracy among all the police to discriminate against black people and keep them from getting fair treatment. :screwy

No, I've never stated anything even remotely similar to that.

Thanks for proving my point, as usual.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase “black lives matter” also has an implicit “too” at the end: it’s saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying “all lives matter” is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It’s a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means “only black lives matter,” when that is obviously not the case. And so saying “all lives matter” as a direct response to “black lives matter” is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem." This is the perfect response to “All Lives Matter” | Fusion[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't the black rights movement support that all lives matter? I understand that they came up with this to bring attention to injustices in the world of policing, but the inherent nature of focusing on oneself and not society as a whole is selfish and easily said to be one sided. Isn't that the argument from the 60's that blacks should have equal rights in every way to whites? So then, doesn't it beg to be said that everyone should have equal rights to everyone else? What about the Hispanic culture, according to the media, just as many hispanic young males are subject to the same kind of discrimination - would it be unfair then to start a movement saying Hispanic Lives Matter? And, quite honestly, the very fair evidence is that police officers of all colors put their lives on the line daily to protect everyone and are more often killed in the line of duty than any other organization so why isn't it fair to say that Police Lives Matter.

Right now, Black Lives Matter are ignoring the rights of others. How is that fair? They are blocking roads and bridges and stopping the lives of every American - black/white/all. So far, most of the incidences that have been sited as creating this problem have been media hype and have later (in courts of law) turned out to be justified events. I know that people don't like that but it is the truth. We have a legal system for a reason and it has to be followed. If the Black Lives Matter group really wants to help stop the deaths in the black community then target the bigger issues and stop spreading hate. People of all color and walks of life are saying this. But sadly, it is the hate that sells. It is the hate that gives the thugs something to build up upon and to excuse their behavior in their own communities.

I could go on and on - but sadly I doubt supporters of this topic will ever listen to the facts. Even if over and over, people that are black and from their own communities are coming forward and saying the same thing. they simply don't care. It isn't part of their hate agenda - The Obama Agenda.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the black rights movement support that all lives matter? I understand that they came up with this to bring attention to injustices in the world of policing, but the inherent nature of focusing on oneself and not society as a whole is selfish and easily said to be one sided. Isn't that the argument from the 60's that blacks should have equal rights in every way to whites? So then, doesn't it beg to be said that everyone should have equal rights to everyone else? What about the Hispanic culture, according to the media, just as many hispanic young males are subject to the same kind of discrimination - would it be unfair then to start a movement saying Hispanic Lives Matter? And, quite honestly, the very fair evidence is that police officers of all colors put their lives on the line daily to protect everyone and are more often killed in the line of duty than any other organization so why isn't it fair to say that Police Lives Matter.

Right now, Black Lives Matter are ignoring the rights of others. How is that fair? They are blocking roads and bridges and stopping the lives of every American - black/white/all. So far, most of the incidences that have been sited as creating this problem have been media hype and have later (in courts of law) turned out to be justified events. I know that people don't like that but it is the truth. We have a legal system for a reason and it has to be followed. If the Black Lives Matter group really wants to help stop the deaths in the black community then target the bigger issues and stop spreading hate. People of all color and walks of life are saying this. But sadly, it is the hate that sells. It is the hate that gives the thugs something to build up upon and to excuse their behavior in their own communities.

I could go on and on - but sadly I doubt supporters of this topic will ever listen to the facts. Even if over and over, people that are black and from their own communities are coming forward and saying the same thing. They simply don't care. It isn't part of their hate agenda - The Obama Agenda.

Well said. Decent law abiding blacks, the majority, IMO believe this to be true. It's just guilt ridden liberals and thugs that buy the Obama/ Hillary divisive rhetoric.

Thugs are what keeps the black man down. A cop shooting a thug that is resisting arrest and assaulting him is a good cop.

Hey man nice shot!

I like tacos.

No, it's not.

Again, thanks for proving my point yet again.

They are claiming that there is a conspiracy of systematic discrimination against black people and that is why they are getting shot. That is exactly what it is.

Bad blacks put targets on bad black's backs. If guilt by association is good for one it is good for all. Eh?

Just no.

Your analogy is wrong. What we are seeing is more along the lines of everyone getting the same chance to ladle out their portion of soup, but because some people chose to spend their money on a small ladle, so that they could buy one that was chrome plated, they didn't get as much. Personal choices being made by far too many young blacks are their biggest problem, not the rare and over-blown racism directed towards them. When offered the choice to stay in school or drop and enter a life of crime, what % of young blacks are making the choice to drop out vs. the % of non-blacks?? So much of what they are fighting against is the result of their choices, not other people's. The use of crap statistics to shift that blame just make things worse.

Bad blacks put targets on bad black's backs. If guilt by association is good for one it is good for all. Eh?

It's not good. It is what it is.

Tell it like it is, Rudy! (and for all you malcontents out there, he is and EXPERT, and he KNOWS what he is talking about)

An expert in what? Like most NY politicians (ahem Chuck Schumer) he's an expert at finding cameras and getting his mug in the news. Not sure what else he's expert at.

An expert in what? Like most NY politicians (ahem Chuck Schumer) he's an expert at finding cameras and getting his mug in the news. Not sure what else he's expert at.

Rudy has a record of commitment to public service, with a concentration of work in New York City. I admire what he has done and I think you would too. Please read about him. His Wiki bio should be very eye-opening. His entire body of work proves that he loves NYC and, given the diversity of New Yorkers, if you can love a New Yorker, you can love anybody. He is one of those kinds of people who just doesn't lie.

They are claiming that there is a conspiracy of systematic discrimination against black people and that is why they are getting shot. That is exactly what it is.

Systemic problems (which is actually what they're claiming) are not the same thing as " systematic conspiracy among all the police"

You're not fooling anyone but yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom