• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rudy Giuliani: ‘So What’ If Trump Spoke With Cohen Ahead Of Congressional Testimony?

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rudy-giuliani-cnn-trump-cohen_us_5c448715e4b0a8dbe1724d9e

Rudy Giuliani: ‘So What’ If Trump Spoke With Cohen Ahead Of Congressional Testimony?

Trump’s personal attorney also acknowledged that discussions about a Trump Tower deal in Moscow may have occurred through November 2016.
Rudy Giuliani on Sunday downplayed the significance of a possible discussion between President Donald Trump and his then-personal attorney Michael Cohen ahead of Cohen’s testimony before Congress in 2017.

CNN’s Jake Tapper peppered Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer and the former mayor of New York City, with questions about the president’s potential involvement in Cohen’s false statements to Congress about a potential Trump Tower real estate deal in Moscow.

“So it’s possible that ... President Trump talked to Michael Cohen about his testimony?” Tapper asked.

“I don’t know if it happened or didn’t happen,” Giuliani responded. “And so what if he talked to him about it?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine:

Nobody needs to hear Cohen's testimony now, Rudy Giuliani is doing enough damage to Trump than Cohen ever could. Rudy Giuliani personally confirmed on television that talks about Trump Tower Moscow went on well into October and November of 2016. Despite the fact that Donald Trump had been warned by the FBI that Russia was seeking to interfere in the election, he ignored their warnings and continued to negotiate for the deal. This means that Trump lied about his dealings with Russia all during the campaign. "I do not have any business in Russia" "I have no dealings in Russia".

Michael Cohen went into Congress and lied about those dealings with Russia that went on up to, and perhaps even after, the 2016 elction. Trump and Cohen discussed his Congressional testimony, so of course, Trump knew he lied to Congress. That's a failure by Trump of faithfully executing the laws and that's going to come back around in any impeachment proceedings.

One more piece of evidence as to consciousness of guilt. This morning on Meet The Press, Rudy Giuliani said "oh what's the big deal whether he did talk to Russia about the project?" Here's the big deal. Mueller was appointed in May of 2017, Cohen testified in October of 2017. This was during the time that Trump repeatedly insisted he had 'no dealings with Russia, no business with Russia'. Cohen had no business discussing his testimony with Trump at all. No competent lawyer would have allowed him to do that. That means they probably did an end-run with the lawyers at the White House and it's just one more thing that points to a consciousness of guilt piece of evidence.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Giuliani was simply being careful because he knows that it wouldn't be beyond Trump to coach Cohen on what to say, so he's leaving the door open in case that's revealed.

That doesn't mean that's what happened though.

my guess is that the initial story was probably true and Mueller issued a denial because the investigation isn't complete. the reason for this is simple : which seems more likely to you? that Trump told Cohen to tell the truth or that he instructed him to lie his ass off to cover up the Moscow deal? i know which side i'd put my twenty bucks on.

my guess is that the initial story was probably true and Mueller issued a denial because the investigation isn't complete. the reason for this is simple : which seems more likely to you? that Trump told Cohen to tell the truth or that he instructed him to lie his ass off to cover up the Moscow deal? i know which side i'd put my twenty bucks on.

I think that Mueller saw the huge blow up the report got in a matter of minutes and feared that his tight and close to the vest investigation may soon be lost to congressional investigations and out of his tight fisted control. So they issued the terse and short comment they did hoping to quell the speculation.

Lets also face the reality that it did get Mueller a few Brownie points with both Trump and the GOP in Congress and that might help extend his shelf life a bit.

Pretty smart on all fronts if you ask me.

"... “I don’t know if it happened or didn’t happen,” Giuliani responded. “And so what if he talked to him about it?” ..."

He's right ... so what?!?

If Trump spoke to him - in a positive or negative way for that event, doesn't matter -, Cohen, the lawyer, didn't know what he could legally do or not do?!?

:lamo

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rudy-giuliani-cnn-trump-cohen_us_5c448715e4b0a8dbe1724d9e

Trump’s personal attorney also acknowledged that discussions about a Trump Tower deal in Moscow may have occurred through November 2016.
Rudy Giuliani on Sunday downplayed the significance of a possible discussion between President Donald Trump and his then-personal attorney Michael Cohen ahead of Cohen’s testimony before Congress in 2017.

CNN’s Jake Tapper peppered Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer and the former mayor of New York City, with questions about the president’s potential involvement in Cohen’s false statements to Congress about a potential Trump Tower real estate deal in Moscow.

“So it’s possible that ... President Trump talked to Michael Cohen about his testimony?” Tapper asked.

“I don’t know if it happened or didn’t happen,” Giuliani responded. “And so what if he talked to him about it?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine:

Nobody needs to hear Cohen's testimony now, Rudy Giuliani is doing enough damage to Trump than Cohen ever could. Rudy Giuliani personally confirmed on television that talks about Trump Tower Moscow went on well into October and November of 2016. Despite the fact that Donald Trump had been warned by the FBI that Russia was seeking to interfere in the election, he ignored their warnings and continued to negotiate for the deal. This means that Trump lied about his dealings with Russia all during the campaign. "I do not have any business in Russia" "I have no dealings in Russia".

Michael Cohen went into Congress and lied about those dealings with Russia that went on up to, and perhaps even after, the 2016 elction. Trump and Cohen discussed his Congressional testimony, so of course, Trump knew he lied to Congress. That's a failure by Trump of faithfully executing the laws and that's going to come back around in any impeachment proceedings.

One more piece of evidence as to consciousness of guilt. This morning on Meet The Press, Rudy Giuliani said "oh what's the big deal whether he did talk to Russia about the project?" Here's the big deal. Mueller was appointed in May of 2017, Cohen testified in October of 2017. This was during the time that Trump repeatedly insisted he had 'no dealings with Russia, no business with Russia'. Cohen had no business discussing his testimony with Trump at all. No competent lawyer would have allowed him to do that. That means they probably did an end-run with the lawyers at the White House and it's just one more thing that points to a consciousness of guilt piece of evidence.

If Rudy is saying so what if Trump talked to Cohen about his testimony, that means Trump did talk to Cohen

Now what are the odds that Trump told Cohen to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? :lamo

I think that Mueller saw the huge blow up the report got in a matter of minutes and feared that his tight and close to the vest investigation may soon be lost to congressional investigations and out of his tight fisted control. So they issued the terse and short comment they did hoping to quell the speculation.

Lets also face the reality that it did get Mueller a few Brownie points with both Trump and the GOP in Congress and that might help extend his shelf life a bit.

Pretty smart on all fronts if you ask me.

it's possible that you're correct.

The more insider information revealed by the press, the easier it is for White House attorney's to formulate a coherent defense.

Mueller would rather that such information come out only in discovery rather than beforehand in the media.

Exposé's by the press make the prosecutors job more difficult and the defense's job easier.

The more insider information revealed by the press, the easier it is for White House attorney's to formulate a coherent defense.

Mueller would rather that such information come out only in discovery rather than beforehand in the media.

Exposé's by the press make the prosecutors job more difficult and the defense's job easier.

HILLARY MADE ME DO IT is not a coherent defense. But, in the end, that is what Trump will be reduced to after everything else turns to dust and is gone with the wind.

Well enough put that I just bet the ranch on it.

Trump however bet his presidency against it. Trump actually thinks he can blow this past us as if we were Republicans in congress. Wrong again he is.

Giuliani meanwhile needs to lay off the three martini lunches while Trump himself needs to sit down and have a drink. It would be sobering for both of 'em.

Trump's White House hired 17 new lawyers and he has already lost the few lawyers who were actually up to the task of defending against crimes that are in opposition to U.S. and constitutional law. Not just any lawyer from NY or from anywhere is well prepared for a lengthy battle with the government over violations of constitutional law and impeachment proceedings. Most lawyers aren't equipped with this type of knowledge and experience. Trump had one lawyer with this type of experience and that was Ty Cobb and he left. Don McGahn may have possessed this type of skill sets, but he's gone too. Several high-powered attorneys like Theodore Olsen and Robert Bennett, have turned down the offer to represent Trump.

Trump has Emmet Flood who replaced Ty Cobb. Flood represented George Bush, Dick Cheney and Bill Clinton during his impeachment hearings. He may be up to the task more than most, but Bill Clinton's impeachment was a walk in the park compared to this herculean task he'll have defending Trump.

Last edited:
Trump's White House hired 17 new lawyers and he has already lost the few lawyers who were actually up to the task of defending against crimes that are in opposition to U.S. and constitutional law. Not just any lawyer from NY or from anywhere is well prepared for a lengthy battle with the government over violations of constitutional law and impeachment proceedings. Most lawyers aren't equipped with this type of knowledge and experience. Trump had one lawyer with this type of experience and that was Ty Cobb and he left. Don McGahn may have possessed this type of skill sets, but he's gone too. Several high-powered attorneys like Theodore Olsen and Robert Bennett, have turned down the offer to represent Trump.

Trump has Emmet Flood who replaced Ty Cobb. Flood represented George Bush, Dick Cheney and Bill Clinton during his impeachment hearings. He may be up to the task more than most, but Bill Clinton's impeachment was a walk in the park compared to this herculean task he'll have defending Trump.

Many of Trumps new attorney's are experts in the field of "executive privilege".

I don't think anyone has any doubts that Trump made it exceedingly clear to Cohen that he wanted him to stick to the Trump Tower Moscow denial story line he had concocted. It's just may be more of a question whether you can prove it or not. Maybe that's why Mueller put the brakes on it. Or perhaps Mueller wants his investigation's findings to be rolled out on his timeline because there may exist more issues than just this one that warrant more of our attention when the time comes to determine what policy changes or decisions should have priority. Maybe what he is saying let's not jump the gun here and instead lets keep our eyes on the ball by sticking to the process.

I don't think anyone has any doubts that Trump made it exceedingly clear to Cohen that he wanted him to stick to the Trump Tower Moscow denial story line he had concocted. It's just may be more of a question whether you can prove it or not. Maybe that's why Mueller put the brakes on it. Or perhaps Mueller wants his investigation's findings to be rolled out on his timeline because there may exist more issues than just this one that warrant more of our attention when the time comes to determine what policy changes or decisions should have priority. Maybe what he is saying let's not jump the gun here and instead lets keep our eyes on the ball by sticking to the process.

seems like a good analysis.

Many of Trumps new attorney's are experts in the field of "executive privilege".
Not to mention that his new AG is the guy that helped issue pardons to everyone involved in Iran Contra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It was a foregone conclusion, a tacit understanding between them, that Cohen would lie. It’s possible they didn’t directly discuss it. They didn’t need to remind each other how the game is played.

It's called lubing the truth. Rudy is just prepping people for when it comes out trump did instruct cohen to lie. .that way there isnt much public outrage.its all they have left.

What it seems like is that Trump didn't "order" Cohen to lie to Congress, but that he coached him on how to lie to Congress. Is that a measurable improvement over the former? No, it isn't. I'm pretty sure that's still criminal.

I think that Mueller saw the huge blow up the report got in a matter of minutes and feared that his tight and close to the vest investigation may soon be lost to congressional investigations and out of his tight fisted control.

Who supposedly leaked from the SC office about this? And why is this not the big deal of this blunder by Buzzfeed?

Who supposedly leaked from the SC office about this? And why is this not the big deal of this blunder by Buzzfeed?

I have no idea who leaked anything.

And this so called blunder from Buzzfeed may be nothing more than a small error on their part over some detail. We just do not know. Time will tell.

I have no idea who leaked anything.

And this so called blunder from Buzzfeed may be nothing more than a small error on their part over some detail. We just do not know. Time will tell.

I would pose to you that anytime you read the opening to an article that states "If true", you had better question whether you should hitch your wagon to the rest of it...Regardless of how much you want to believe it...

I would pose to you that anytime you read the opening to an article that states "If true", you had better question whether you should hitch your wagon to the rest of it...Regardless of how much you want to believe it...

"If true (and it almost certainly isn't)..." would be a smart prelude to everything Trump says, seeing as he's clocked over 8100 false and misleading statements since inauguration.

"If true (and it almost certainly isn't)..." would be a smart prelude to everything Trump says, seeing as he's clocked over 8100 false and misleading statements since inauguration.

I won't defend his sometime, shall we say shifting narrative...But, if you think that is endemic of only Trump, or of your political opponents then you are fooling yourself....

Back
Top Bottom